Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
hi, as far as i know it is caused by big temperature and moisture difference, the glue is becoming soft and ineffective so the cloth is separated, if you will ask me about fixing it, it should not be very difficult and it can be a good DIY project for someone, also you can put nicer material instead of OEM cloth something like Alcantara

·
Registered
440 Posts
hi, as far as i know it is caused by big temperature and moisture difference, the glue is becoming soft and ineffective so the cloth is separated, if you will ask me about fixing it, it should not be very difficult and it can be a good DIY project for someone, also you can put nicer material instead of OEM cloth something like Alcantara
Not that great of a DIY project. I tried doing my Beetle (much smaller headliner) and it was a disaster. You spray contact adhesive on both the headliner board and the back of the cloth. Then you have to lay the cloth down perfectly in one step because once it touches it a permanent bond. No wiggle room. I go the board out and prepped myself, then took it to an auto interior shop. The guy did a perfect job in about an hour. Then I reinstalled it. The Beetle cost me $100 so Touareg would be more. But I ruined about $50 worth of cloth trying to do it myself. So before you ruin $200 worth of cloth trying to do the Touareg, consider taking it to the pro.

Do a search on this site for Headliner Removal and you'll see how that's done.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Then you have to lay the cloth down perfectly in one step because once it touches it a permanent bond
Lay material (sheets of paper etc.) between the two layers of contact adhesive, line up the cloth, hold in position and slide the paper out.

Reactions: mndesangia
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.