Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2012 TDI into an indy VW/Audi shop here in Austin, Texas for a post buy inspection a few months after purchasing the vehicle. They found a leak in the rear main seal as well as seepage in the rear differential output flange. After a quick search I realized both of these items were covered under the vehicles 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. The vehicle also holds the post fix 4yr/48k emissions warranty.

Fast forward to today. I bring it into a VW dealership to have both items addressed. The tech advises me that the oil leak is not stemming from a faulty rear main seal. He states the oil is leaking from the turbo and calls this "normal" says the CATA engine is "designed" to do this and that I don't need to worry. This is alarming for a certified VW tech to state. Engines are not designed to leak oil. I'm losing about 1qt per 1k miles. Now, to the rear output flange.. Tech says he found the leak at the flange of the transfer case. Advisor says this item is NOT covered by either of the warranties because the part number(flange seal) isn't in their PID reference book and therefore isn't a listed covered part. I explained several times, even reading the warranty guideline to him word for word. He refused to even look at it.

According to the paperwork I have, the 10yr/100k covers all seals and gaskets pertaining to the drivetrain- Front/Rear Diff, transfer case, etc.. I have been in contact with Volkswagen North America regarding both issues. I gave them dealer info and they're supposed to call me tomorrow by end of day as they said they're sending this to "higher ups". Has anyone had these issues while dealing with service departments? For a technician and a dealership to send a customer on his way claiming oil leaks are normal is comical to me. The tech simply through the truck on the lift and fiddled around with a flashlight. They want $130/hr labor to have him actually check EGR, upper/lower pan gaskets, inlets, etc. Laziness? Shady business?

On top of filing a claim with VWNA, I've reported the dealership to the EPA regarding the oil leaking out as such a rate while calling this normal and saying it is by design.

I've spoken to a few owners who state they had no issue having the same issues resolved via warranty. Thanks for any advice or history with this.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've been a Heavy Duty Mechanic for quite a while, and have worked on all sorts of equipment; new, old, simple, complex, displacement from 1L to 25L, single to quad turbocharged, etc. Never once have I come across an engine that was "designed to leak". Except CAT 3126s ?

I would never trust my vehicle with this dealership.

Reactions: ncburch22

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
903 Posts
Up to one quart per 1200 miles is actually in the owners manual as "normal" usage. I don't think it differentiates about "why" or "where" it's being lost.

Page 413 of the owners manual for my 2013 TDI Sport. ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION

QUOTE: "A maximum of 1 quart per 1200 miles ( 1 liter per 2000 km) would be considered normal. New vehicles may consume more oil over the first 3000 miles (5000 kms)." END QUOTE

All that being said, I use oil ONLY when towing my travel trailer (~5800 pounds). About 1/2 quart over 500 miles. I lose nothing when not towing.

I also have some kind of very small leak at the rear of the engine and transmission mating surfaces, when I did the tranny fluid flush there was a little tranny oil (red-ish) at the bottom of the flange. I did not identify where from, and it was very small amount. I knew that it would be hopeless to go after the dealership.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Up to one quart per 1200 miles is actually in the owners manual as "normal" usage. I don't think it differentiates about "why" or "where" it's being lost.

Page 413 of the owners manual for my 2013 TDI Sport. ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION

QUOTE: "A maximum of 1 quart per 1200 miles ( 1 liter per 2000 km) would be considered normal. New vehicles may consume more oil over the first 3000 miles (5000 kms)." END QUOTE

All that being said, I use oil ONLY when towing my travel trailer (~5800 pounds). About 1/2 quart over 500 miles. I lose nothing when not towing.

I also have some kind of very small leak at the rear of the engine and transmission mating surfaces, when I did the tranny fluid flush there was a little tranny oil (red-ish) at the bottom of the flange. I did not identify where from, and it was very small amount. I knew that it would be hopeless to go after the dealership.
I too read this. However, my “leak” is more than a leak. It’s essentially puddling oil from the turbo area down around the oil pan and all around the bell housing of the rear main seal. Having to get corporate involved because the dealership refuses to honor the warranty for which it was written is annoying, but expected.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I think the handbook quote on oil consumption refers to oil being burnt in the combustion process rather than simply leaking out onto your drive or garage floor!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the handbook quote on oil consumption refers to oil being burnt in the combustion process rather than simply leaking out onto your drive or garage floor!
Correct. I had to clear this up with the service manager too. The morons they hire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update- VW North America followed up with dealership. Dealership is now covering all costs under warranty. VWNA states dealership was wrong in the fact that they were telling me these items were not covered under the Powertrain warranty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts