Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Touareg 3.2

I have an issue with the MAF in my car. Been trying to diagnose it for a long time (honestly gave up for a while)
Originally the car was running 2 codes, p0102 and the other i forget but it was for throttle correlation
I changed my MAF and the problem came back worse and it began stalling and smelling like gas, so we changed the throttle body as well
everything has been running great since then, but the CEL for p0102 never went off
stopped by my mechanic yesterday to get it checked on the vag com

Said it had 0 air flow, and was running on a closed loop
since we already changed the MAF, he said he's certain its a broken wire going to the sensor, but that it was too late in the day (and possibly not worth me having him do) to begin chasing the wire, as it can be anywhere between the maf and the systems computer,

Anyone have any experience with this issue? Or would anyone by any chance have a diagram that shows me where that wire runs?

Or any other ideas as to what can be going on?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry Tony, didn't see this post. Got busy with projects. Did you use a OBD scanner to pull the code, or did you use the vagcom?

Vagcom can get more live info than the scanner. Aside from that, remove the MAF sensor. Perform a continuity test. That MAF sensor must have a current going through it. Plenty of videos on the MAF sensor testing. Pick on.

If sensor works, check the wire harness/loom for wire exposures/cracks/shorts.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
584 Posts
2005 Touareg 3.2

I have an issue with the MAF in my car. Been trying to diagnose it for a long time (honestly gave up for a while)
Originally the car was running 2 codes, p0102 and the other i forget but it was for throttle correlation
I changed my MAF and the problem came back worse and it began stalling and smelling like gas, so we changed the throttle body as well
everything has been running great since then, but the CEL for p0102 never went off
stopped by my mechanic yesterday to get it checked on the vag com

Said it had 0 air flow, and was running on a closed loop
since we already changed the MAF, he said he's certain its a broken wire going to the sensor, but that it was too late in the day (and possibly not worth me having him do) to begin chasing the wire, as it can be anywhere between the maf and the systems computer,

Anyone have any experience with this issue? Or would anyone by any chance have a diagram that shows me where that wire runs?

Or any other ideas as to what can be going on?

Thanks in advance
The wiring should lead to the ECM bottom of windshield on left side underneath the cover. When the MAf is not working the ECM calculates a substitute value. The ECM has two plugs one on the right is the main wiring loom the smaller plug on the left may be where the wiring goes. On thing for certain the wires for the MAF run into one of the wire looms and associated plugs on the ECM.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
584 Posts
Turned out that the MAF we swapped for was also bad. It was the MAF after all that
Not that unusual. Have replaced camshaft position sensors that were as faulty as the ones replaced. Had same issue with temperature sensors and direct ignition coils. Generally when I have only one error code that is usually the problem. Multiple codes are sometimes more difficult to figure out like things associated with electronic power control. Sometimes throttle body sensors, sensors for pedal position etc. Glad you got it sorted out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts