Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Is buying a 2006 Touareg v6 tdi with 60k miles (13 year old) a bad idea? Is that kind of age / mileage that every thing will start to go wrong?

Anyone bought similar? Or better to go more modern? Ideas?

Thx

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve recently bought a 2003 wich has faults. If you can do repairs yourself the costs aren’t too bad. But repairs in a garage will mount up. Especially if they don’t know Touaregs we’ll enough...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve recently bought a 2003 wich has faults. If you can do repairs yourself the costs aren’t too bad. But repairs in a garage will mount up. Especially if they don’t know Touaregs we’ll enough...
So parts are still expensive although old?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Of course they are!

And the labour time and rates to fit those parts don't go down with increased age either!!

I assume the milage is low because the car has stayed on the island. That in itself could be a problem if the car only does short journeys and doesn't get a regular and proper work-out of time, speed and distance

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Indeed and possibly reasonably easy to get them shipped from eBay Germany but there's still the cost of fitting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course they are!

And the labour time and rates to fit those parts don't go down with increased age either!!

I assume the milage is low because the car has stayed on the island. That in itself could be a problem if the car only does short journeys and doesn't get a regular and proper work-out of time, speed and distance
Not very encouraging i must say 🙂

A honest question and not disrespectful in anyway...will i be in a better situation if i go for an audi Q5? Reliability wise? Thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If petrol, maybe.

Check the seating position. I seem to recall a report saying the pedals, seat and steering wheel may gave offsets that not everyone will find comfortable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If petrol, maybe.

Check the seating position. I seem to recall a report saying the pedals, seat and steering wheel may gave offsets that not everyone will find comfortable.
Thank you. Diesel for me but 🙂

During a test drive will you know if the expensive stuff is about to fail? Shafts? Trans box? Etc?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Unlikely.

You are looking at a 12 year old car. Like any car they are electro-mechanical items that can go wrong and the older they are the more likely breakdowns and repairs may occur.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
If you are good with a wrench, then you have a good deal.

If you take everything to a garage, both the VW and the Audi is going to be costly when needing a repair.

You either have car payments or repair payments.

If your repair budget is on a budget, then don't look at any German vehicles.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
like Noov said electro - mech parts wear ... average life span on any of these across all manufacturers generally is around 7-10yrs

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see..so 13 yrs in the danger zone unless already replaced.
IHello ...

I suggest that you check everything before you get an old car ... all overpass ... all overlook where you put your head and hands ... when you sit in your car look around or all the electronics share ... air conditioning, windows, heating, all the buttons ... just you're trying ... you go on a test drive a little on the macadam a little on ac. , you open the windows and listen a little how some sounds change on bends ...

I only know that I have fallen in love with this car too soon ... then it's very heavy on my wallet ... but even here in our country are the more wealthy people who have at least 2000 euros a month if they what happens ... otherwise I do not advise buying ...

it's a good car for small money with a lot of fueliness ... it's about 12l / 100k in my car

ie 1.50 € / liter

The average salary in Slovenia is approx. 650 €

Who Should I ...

but also this ... check out all the drives ... slow down on the flat and navhrib ...

good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts