Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had new tires installed and the service tech had a heck of a time threading two of the lug nuts back in. The bolts themselves look okay according to them. Can the receiving threads get galled?

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
Just had new tires installed and the service tech had a heck of a time threading two of the lug nuts back in. The bolts themselves look okay according to them. Can the receiving threads get galled?
If the bolts had been over torqued it is possible that the receiving threads can become galled.
If the bolts didn't go in easy they should have run a tap in the threads and a die on the bolts to clean them up .
The threads are on the hub(s) itself so if they weren't able to torque them correctly, you could retap the hubs and put new bolts. Re-tapping the threads and using a die on the bolts is the cheapest route, if it works.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
The threads are on the rotor(s) itself so if they weren't able to torque them correctly, you could replace the rotors and put new bolts. Re-tapping the threads and using a die on the bolts is the cheapest route, if it works.
It's good to know what you're talking about before giving others advice!
There's no tapped holes on the rotors, but it's great that you're helping him load up the parts cannon.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
It's good to know what you're talking about before giving others advice!
There's no tapped holes on the rotors, but it's great that you're heling him load up the parts cannon.
You're right. I meant hubs but for some reason typed rotors. Coffee hadn't soaked in yet. It's been corrected. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
also very possible they tried starting the bolts using the brapper, set at 1 ugga-dugga, thus cross-threading them. Seen many “techs” start bolts that way. :mad:

Reactions: C-ya and New2Tregs

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
The simple fact that "the tech" had difficulty starting bolts, but was unable to "solve the mystery" is the most troubling issue here.... I wouldn't let THAT "tech" pump air into my tires, let alone anything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I did not trust them at all and actually stood there as he fiddled with the two bolts for an extra 10 minutes. He did get them started and properly in. The tap and die idea is a good one.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I did not trust them at all and actually stood there as he fiddled with the two bolts for an extra 10 minutes. He did get them started and properly in. The tap and die idea is a good one.
Well at least he got them and you can always follow up to make sure they're good.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I might be wrong... but I heard somewhere that one of the reasons why VAG went with a wheel bolt instead of a wheel stud is because the bolt can be replaced easier, rather than a stud.
Wheel threads are M14 x 1.5. Not in your average home gamer tap and die set.
Yes, if the thread is damaged or compromised then chase the threads with a know good tap.
I went with studs because I remove the wheels off and on a few times and they are heavy! OEM wheel and tyre are around 32kgs each! Much easier hanging the wheel off the studs prior to tightening the nuts. I bought all the studs and nuts from Rennline which are designed for the Cayenne.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
I might be wrong... but I heard somewhere that one of the reasons why VAG went with a wheel bolt instead of a wheel stud is because the bolt can be replaced easier, rather than a stud.
Wheel threads are M14 x 1.5. Not in your average home gamer tap and die set.
Yes, if the thread is damaged or compromised then chase the threads with a know good tap.
I went with studs because I remove the wheels off and on a few times and they are heavy! OEM wheel and tyre are around 32kgs each! Much easier hanging the wheel off the studs prior to tightening the nuts. I bought all the studs and nuts from Rennline which are designed for the Cayenne.
So how is converting to studs/nuts easier, less expensive or any safer/easier to hang the wheel onto the hub than just using the OEM wheel alignment tool "do hickey"?

·
Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
562 Posts
So how is converting to studs/nuts easier, less expensive or any safer/easier to hang the wheel onto the hub than just using the OEM wheel alignment tool for hickey?
The biggest problem with wheel bolts rather than studs / nuts is that you cannot easily see the condition of the threads in the hubs like you can on studs and nuts. This can lead to incorrect torqueing of the bolts and them coming loose. Not a huge problem and VW have used bolts on their wheels for the last 70+ years so they must think its OK.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The biggest problem with wheel bolts rather than studs / nuts is that you cannot easily see the condition of the threads in the hubs like you can on studs and nuts. This can lead to incorrect torqueing of the bolts and them coming loose. Not a huge problem and VW have used bolts on their wheels for the last 70+ years so they must think its OK.
Did have to replace a hub recently on a buddy's mk4 tdi that the tire shop the previous owner used absolutely destroyed the threads in by cross threading a couple lugs.

Carelessness can destroy either. I do agree studs are easier to hang wheels on without having to reach for another tool

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
So how is converting to studs/nuts easier, less expensive or any safer/easier to hang the wheel onto the hub than just using the OEM wheel alignment tool "do hickey"?
Didn’t say it was less expensive. It is much easier than using the aluminium pin that comes with the car. It is also easier to bend, studs are more convenient if you take the wheels off often. If it was once or twice a year that you change wheels then it would not matter. I am always doing something to the car which makes it more convenient for me

·
Registered
87 Posts
Didn’t say it was less expensive. It is much easier than using the aluminium pin that comes with the car. It is also easier to bend, studs are more convenient if you take the wheels off often. If it was once or twice a year that you change wheels then it would not matter. I am always doing something to the car which makes it more convenient for me
I got two spare wheel bolts from my dealer,cut of the heads and thread them in to two holes when the wheel is off. Sit the rim onto them and the centre lip and put the other bolts in. Remove the two guide bolts and install the remaining two. Very easy.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Good idea! Never thought of that idea!
But I don’t have to unscrew anything. Just slip on the wheel onto the studs and tighten the nuts.
I also added spacers 18mm thick on the front and 25mm on the rear so I needed longer studs anyways!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts