Club Touareg Forum banner

Lug nut thread difficult

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Concretetreg08 
#1 ·
Just had new tires installed and the service tech had a heck of a time threading two of the lug nuts back in. The bolts themselves look okay according to them. Can the receiving threads get galled?

#3 · (Edited)
If the bolts had been over torqued it is possible that the receiving threads can become galled.
If the bolts didn't go in easy they should have run a tap in the threads and a die on the bolts to clean them up .
The threads are on the hub(s) itself so if they weren't able to torque them correctly, you could retap the hubs and put new bolts. Re-tapping the threads and using a die on the bolts is the cheapest route, if it works.

#4 · (Edited)
The threads are on the rotor(s) itself so if they weren't able to torque them correctly, you could replace the rotors and put new bolts. Re-tapping the threads and using a die on the bolts is the cheapest route, if it works.
It's good to know what you're talking about before giving others advice!
There's no tapped holes on the rotors, but it's great that you're helping him load up the parts cannon.

#7 · (Edited)
also very possible they tried starting the bolts using the brapper, set at 1 ugga-dugga, thus cross-threading them. Seen many “techs” start bolts that way. :mad:

Reactions: C-ya and New2Tregs
#14 ·
I might be wrong... but I heard somewhere that one of the reasons why VAG went with a wheel bolt instead of a wheel stud is because the bolt can be replaced easier, rather than a stud.
Wheel threads are M14 x 1.5. Not in your average home gamer tap and die set.
Yes, if the thread is damaged or compromised then chase the threads with a know good tap.
I went with studs because I remove the wheels off and on a few times and they are heavy! OEM wheel and tyre are around 32kgs each! Much easier hanging the wheel off the studs prior to tightening the nuts. I bought all the studs and nuts from Rennline which are designed for the Cayenne.

#20 ·
Good idea! Never thought of that idea!
But I don’t have to unscrew anything. Just slip on the wheel onto the studs and tighten the nuts.
I also added spacers 18mm thick on the front and 25mm on the rear so I needed longer studs anyways!

#21 ·
I get to replace not 1, not 2, but 3 hubs as a local tire shop galled the threads on 1 whole on them. I only went there once and never again as I live in the US and the 08 hub assembly is now dealership only. Shop won't pay for the damage caused either. Tech was a genius I say as he used the regular stick weights which snapped loose as he pulled it out from hitting the calipers so I had to sit a total of 3 hours only to get swv and a bead leak beginning 3 days later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.