Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not own a touareg but I am currently swapping a chevy v8 into a Porsche 924 that I saved from the junkyard. since this is an early 924 and I am replacing the 95 hp 4 cyl with a v8 im estimating at 400-450 hp after porting the heads, cam, ect., and rebuilding. I decided to replace the transaxle design with a borg warner t5 transmission and (where this ties into touaregs) a v8 toureg rear differential.
But I have some questions about the touaregs rear diff. I have searched the internet a lot and cannot find the answers I need. im thinking about getting the rear differential out of a v8 touareg that has an lsd but im very confused. I know the touareg has an electronic locking differential system but I am not sure how it works and when I look at pictures of rear differentials that are claimed to have lsd's I don't see any place for wires or plugs on the differentials, nor do I see the place for an electronic motor to engage clutch discs which I saw on a toureg pdf from vw. :writers_block: do these rear diffs have conventional lsd's and the electronic part be in the center diff? I am also wondering and hoping if this diff will handle the horsepower. especially since I built this engine geared towards boost and hope to add a turbo or supercharger later on. also, I think a 930 axle will fit on the rear diff cv mounts. a 930 cv axle has an outer diameter of 108mm which I believe the touareg has aswell?

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
There are only two styles of Touareg rear differential. One is an open spool type without any lsd function and the other is a lockable differential that is either fully locked by a stepper motor actuator or fully open. Neither provide any LSD functuon. On the Touareg this is performed by the brake system. So if you are looking for a Tough LSD you will need to look to another solution. The locking rear is exactly that, fully locked spool or fully open spool.

Hope that helps...

Stuart...

Reactions: 924redesigner

·
Registered
208 Posts
HP won't be the problem, those diff are made for the 850Nm from a V10 TDI. (And i think also the Q7 V12TDI is fitted with those -> 1000Nm!)
If you ever find an LSD that fits into the touareg's diff, tell me... I searched for 3 years now, never found a solution...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. I just pulled the transaxle out of the 924 last night and im extremely glad I did the input shaft to the transmission is, I kid you not, 1/2 inch diameter :( why would they design something so weak.. as far as the diff goes. I am still interested in using it because it will hold, especially if they don't beef up the diffs for the v10 diesel, (my motor should not exceed 400 ft-lbs or 542nm). also the price point for a locking one is 300 dollars shipped right now. cant beat that! a fully locking diff would still benefit me if I can hook the electric stepper motor up to a switch that I can turn on and off at will.
www.billswebspace.com/Touaregchassisandawd.pdf
now im still not sure how this electronic locking diff works. I've been looking at this pdf for some time now and trying to cross reference it to the diffs I see in pictures on ebay ect. on page 52 of that pdf they explain the diff and have a picture of one. on ebay they claim to have locking diffs(that they say are limited slip) for sale but they don't look like the picture in the pdf. I see no wires leaving the diff nor do I see the big mounting space for an electric motor. are they lying or am I missing something?

·
Registered
208 Posts
No, I never heard of a broken Touareg diff. (Only bad bearings)
My V10 has 320 000km without problems, it weighs over 2.5 tons and a big V10, never had a broken diff, driveshaft, CV joint, ... the drive train is absolutely bullet proof.
Mine has also rear diff lock, it works with a separate ECU in the trunk which drives a stepper motor or a servo motor (don't know which type is used).
If you know someone with knowledge of electronics, maybe you can build a simple H-bridge and a motor controller to make the stepper motor (or servo motor) work.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Didn't some of the parts for the 924 - including the engine - come from VW?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes the whole car was a VW design the front and rear suspension are the same as the VW beetle but made cast aluminum with disc brakes all around and 5 lug bolt pattern. it was originally going to be a VW car but sold to Porsche the engine and transaxle are Audi built I believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so I got a touareg rear locking diff for $300 delivered to my door! I am 22 and that is a blessing on the wallet :p!! and if anyone cares my transmission option will probably be a mucie 4 speed or a super t10 now. I am updating this thread because the post I made comes up often when I search anything about this rear diff and 930 axles ect. also since the hot rod gods have been smiling upon me I need to make my experiences useful to others. To not violate your touareg forum I am only making this about swapping the rear diff.

Firstly the locking rear diff does not have 930 axle stubs. they are much larger but I will either have a machine shop make an adapter for the 930 axles or I can have touareg cv axles cut to size and splined for a 930 axle on the wheel side.

as far as the locking part goes i am no expert but i think the two larger wires are for the locking motor and the small wires are for sensors. If anyone knows, information would be much appreciated, if not, I will figure it out. my eventual goal is to have the locking motor attached to a toggle switch.

Suprisingly the rear diff fit in the car like it was suppose to :cool:. it is only mounted in two spots right now i need to mount the front of the diff still and reinforce the rear. there is a bit of stress on the rubber bushings in the diff because I needed to bring the front up to clear the tortion bar but I think it should be fine.

this is a view of the front not mounted yet but in the right position via jack.
I hope this helps anyone who needs a rear diff option and i hope it is entertaining to those on this forum with a touareg :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
As far as knowledge goes among the forums, the rear locker is a stepper motor and requires a controller rather than simple switch actuation. If you figure out the behavior, definitely share what you find.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Your pics are referencing your email, which doesn't work.

As mentioned, you will need a stepper motor driver to engage the locking part of the locking differential. Plenty of ways to do that with either a "turnkey" plug n play board or a micro controller.

There is a torque sensor in the stock transfer case. There may be one in the differential housing, too.

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The pictures copied and pasted in there so I thought it would work. I am new to forums so my bad here are the pictures. its not letting me edit that one reply either.

differences between 930 axle

stepper motor and wires

rear mounting position

front position not mounted yet

·
Registered
227 Posts
Oh man, did they cut that harness or did you? That's really short.

If it were might I might open that up and look at the wiring and try to figure it out before mounting it. It would be nice if it were as simple as signal per wire for different steps, but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When i got the diff the clips were damaged and cut very close to the clips on the harness side. since they were damaged and there was not enough wire for me to splice, I just cut the clips off after making note of which wires went where.
I didnt even really know about stepper motors before this but thanks to yall I learned more than i ever wanted to know about stepper motors. I found some diagrams on auto zone and figured out which four wires went to the motor and the others went to stepper motor positioning sensors and a temperature sensor (no torque sensor in the rear diff i guess). After researching stepper motors 4 wires means it is a bipolar type stepper motor.
the only problem is I dont really know how to control it, which way it spins, or how fast it spins when in use. :/

·
Registered
227 Posts
You're going to have to start by figuring out what the current draw is on that motor. If it's over 1-2A per phase you're going to need something fairly custom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts