Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has played around changing the pre-set ride heights on our air suspension?
From the Allroad, I assume something similar as the "402 mod" can be done with the Treg?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is no 'risk'. The Allroad scene has been using the '402' method for raising/lowering (and its intended purpose: calibrating) the air suspension for two decades.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I don't have any answer to this question, but an Allroad is NOT a Touareg

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
I believe it can be done with VAS but not with VCDS.... @chewblekka would probably be able to answer that for sure.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,201 Posts
Can be done easily with VCDS. You MUST follow the procedure EXACTLY, otherwise the procedure will fail. Just lower (or raise) by changing the current numbers by the amount you want to adjust. Example, if the FL current measurement is 500 and you want to lower by 1/2 inch (13mm), you would put in 513.

note - this a linear change for ALL ride height levels, every level will be higher or lower, not just the current level you’re in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My Brother-In-Law "fixes" all different makes with this procedure semi-regularly.

He said for what ever reason (replaced airbag, shocks, accident damage/repair) the height of any particular corner can get thrown out of correct height so that's exactly what they do...measure each corner of the vehicle, compare to the stock heights, change the height manually using VCDS so that the vehicle adjusts to it's manufacturer settings.

Changing the height intentionally to suit a lower (or higher) stance is no different. Just remember, as chewblekka said above - higher measurement = lower ride height. And, if you've adjusted and want to go again, the vehicle now "thinks" it's at standard height so don't put in a wider margin than the first time, take off the first adjustment, or you'll drop it to it's knees.

Eg - if 500 is standard height - 1st adjustment you put in 515. Measure again and now want 5mm more. You don't put in 520, you put in 505 because even though it displays 500 on the VSDS screen, this is what the vehicle thinks it's at, not what you've already adjusted it to.

Most importantly, and especially if you do multiple adjustments, have a pad and pen handy, divide the page into 4 and write down EVERY adjustment AS you make it. That way if you get into a mess you can add and subtract all of the numbers back to where you started from.

Oz

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,201 Posts
My advice is to first get all 4 corners set to OEM specs first, then adjust to your liking. Over the years I guarantee at least one corner is sitting higher or lower than it should.

·
Registered
VW Touareg 7LA V10 TDI MY06
9 Posts
@vtraudt I would only aim for a lowering with VCDS if the residual pressure holding valves are ok. In my 06 V10, the rear wishbones hit the subframe on bad roads in sport mode with standard settings because of the defective valves. With VCDS front / rear -25mm or + 20mm are possible. Login for the calibration is 31564. To easily change the height, only the coding is changed, no login is necessary.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know the STOCK height (the usual fender edge to center of wheel distance)?

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
261 Posts
The number is up there, but when you setting the suspension back to stock, you don't put those values in the system. You measure the actual height of the corners and input those value into VCDS and it'll do its thing.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yep done this with VCDS.

Needed to lower standard sitting height around 20 - 30 mm so that when i was in load mode it was easier for my octogenarian mother in law to get in. She has mobility issues.

When in sport mode though noticed impressive dynamics and handling of the vehicle which were not that welcome and or normal ..... although going over a very small speed hump at around 50kms and getting air at all 4's was eye opening !!!

Back to normal for me VAG tunes these for a reason a certain way .... you play with one thing other ****e happens

1 - 15 of 15 Posts