Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2004 V6 Touareg at the end of April. It's pretty much the base model as I don't have the nav system. I did end up putting in my Sirius Satellite radio, it's hooked up through the CDX.

Anyway, about 2 weeks this weird picture appeared in my MFI screen in my dashboard. When I looked at the Vehicle Status it read "System Fault. Workshop!" The image looked like the one on the dial where you would put the treg in 4 wheel drive. It's the one where it looks like 2 tires are straight and the other two are bent. Also, where the dial where you would put the treg in 4 wheel drive was blinking. The car drove fine. Sometimes when I would start the car again the error would go away. However, if the car sat for about 10 hours then it would come up again.

When I took the car into Service they said it was the "low voltage" indicator. They said they reset it and offered me some statement that I had too many things running (i.e. ac, radio, etc) that may have caused it. What? I can't listen to the radio and have my ac on at the same time??

So, a few days later we drove my car about 150 miles to the beach on vacation. A few days later that same light/error message came on again. The next day it came on again. Then the 3rd day my car was totally dead! I always lock the car, the lights weren't left on, nor were any of the doors open. It wouldn't unlock with the remote so I unlocked it manually. Then when I stuck the key in the ignition it wouldn't turn over nor would it give me my key back. Road side assistance was no help. Luckily the people staying at our beach house were familiar with my type of battery and jumped it.

It's been running fine since & no error indicator light either. I'm afraid to drive it though. I do drive it but I'm afraid it will leave me stranded. Has anyone experienced this? It's at the dealership now but I don't have faith that they will find what the problem is.

My clock also runs fast, always has since I've had it. I've seen the topic on this issue but I'm wondering if that has anything to do with this issue?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Did these problems start after the Satellite radio was installed??? If so, the brains of the system may not be turning off when you turn the car off and that could be sucking the battery dry.

Secondly, take your vehicle to the dealership... and in the lot try and put it into "LOW." Hopefully it will throw a fault, not go into LOW and then disengage the transmission. If that's the case, then there's a problem with the Transfer Case Control Module and possibly the Stepper Motor.

With the blinking light on the console control of the 4WD system and the warning you got in the MFI, I'm wondering if you have a short in the Transfer Case Control Module. The connection at the TCM or the Stepper Motor could be loose. There could also be a grounding problem with the same components.

I'd put good money on that being the area where your problems are, only because I had a similar kind of issue crop up in January right after my wife and I bought our V6... and the problems were all in that area.

What VIN range are you in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the problem started after the radio was installed but it was 2 months after the radio was installed. It does turn off when I turn off the car though.

i just got a call from the dealership and they said they checked the battery, starter, & alternator and found nothing. They also hooked it up to the main computer and found no error messages. So, I'm SOL.

I've never put it in 4 wheel drive which is why i think it's weird that that light came on.

I have the VIN but part of the number do you need to know what range it's in?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Kitty,

For the record, your TOUAREG is always in 4WD.... the option you have is putting it into 4-LOW. I think you need to have your dealership do a complete test of the 4WD electronics.

When my TOUAREG was in the shop and they were testing for faults, they got all kinds of faults in areas completely unrelated to the 4WD system.

You need to make your dealership check that specific system, which they should have done anyway - unless your service department completely sucks.

The VIN range everyone looks for is the last digits of the number after the "D"

example: D012345

Another example... my VIN is D028xxx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting. I haven't called them back yet b/c I'm pissed that they didn't find anything but I will with your advice. Of course, last time I gave them hints that I got off this board they didn't appreciate it. oh well!

Oh, my vin is D064277

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I told them what you said might be the issue. They said they hooked it up to the main computer and no error messages came up. Therefore they can't duplicate, therefore i'm SOL. Of course, I brought up the fact that I got the same error message the first I brought it in and they said it was fixed.

They said they called a "tech line" but no one has had the same issue. Errrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so mad!! The Service mgr said they were going to talk to their field rep to find out the direction to go in. I told him I don't feel safe driving in a vehicle that is not reliable.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Sounds like it is time to find a new service department.

I think you're being handed a line of bull.

·
Super Moderator
9,689 Posts
Have you gotten the problem fixed yet and what did they say it was and how much did it cost you because i am having the same problems and i am not able to move it out of park.. Any Ideas
Hopefully the OP got it fixed, but since his last activity on this forum was the year he posted this, I am thinking he will not get back to you. This thread is almost 6yrs old.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2004 V8 Treg has a similar malfunction last week. The weird picture appeared in my MFI screen in my dashboard, same "System Fault. Workshop!", same image looks like 2 tires are straight and the other two are bent. Also, where the dial where you would put the treg in 4 wheel drive is blinking, AND the engine cooling fans run after the ignition is turned off until the batery dies. I haven't bothered to taken it in for service yet because I doubt if they can fix it.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
I haven't bothered to taken it in for service yet because I doubt if they can fix it.
What? For goodness sake it's only a sensor. Get it fixed.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Just take it to the garage.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
If you don't return to this thread we'll know it was okay!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.