Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is the first forum I have EVER joined up to, but I'm desperately looking for someone who may be able to help or have some ideas.

I own a 2009 V6 3.0 TDI Touareg, Australian model. I'm the second owner and have never had an issue with it until now. When ever I put the car into low range and then select "D" to drive I get a horrible gear grinding noise, like something is not engaging properly. I then take it out of low range and select "D" and it will drive perfectly all day every day. When I select low range again but then select reverse first, there is no grinding at all. I can then select "D" or "S" when in low and it behaves as it should. It only has a low range issue when I select "D" first.

This gremlin reared its ugly head a couple of months ago and has been intermittent but now it happens consistently every time. Has anyone experienced this before?

Let me answer a few questions you may have.
* When I select low, the car is completely stopped and in neutral every time.
* There is no low range driving problems once low is properly engaged (that I'm aware of)
*the car has been very well looked after but I do like using it's full potential in the outdoors with entry level to intermediate four wheel driving.
* there are no oil leaks.
* the car currently has 112,000 km's on it.

My Volkswagen dealer hasn't the slightest clue and wants it for a few days to try and work it out. This for me is not possible at this time however I can do without the low range abaility for the next few months. Have lost hours on google looking for a similar issue but cannot fine one.

The technician says it's most likely in the 4WD transfer case otherwise known as the bevel box.

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
hi there, the most common issue with transfer box is if you turn the steering wheel all the way left or right and start to move at low speeds you will feel something like you are driving over some bumps, but this issue occurs even in high range and in ''D'', when i bought my car i have had the same issue but i performed the software update of transfer box and in my case it helped and problem never came back, but sometimes it does not and you need to look for something else like Stepper motor here is the link http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/0AD341601/ES288878/
good luck
nikoloz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi nikoloz

Thanks for your reply. I probably need to offer a better explanation. The issue when I put the car into low is a very loud grinding noise and sounds like it's coming from the centre of the underbody of the car. Imagine driving a manual car and you don't fully select a gear properly and you hear the gears grinding, that's what this noise is. A loud gear grinding noise like some gears aren't engaging properly. And the noise happens immediately once "d" is selected. Before the car even moves. Doesn't matter what position the steering is in. Dealer did a full computer diagnostic check and said there are no electronic issues and said there are no further software updates available

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
sorry to hear that, maybe the problem is much more serious than a stepper motor, please post updates if you will find something
kind regards
nikoloz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts