Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2013 Touareg TDI to the dealer for an oil change and I've always been told they top off fluids. Left the dealer to find an oil leak at the plug, I think, because they did not replace the ring. Took it back, they fixed it, one week later I had to add over 1100ml of coolant because the light warning light went off. I'm guessing they SLACK and don't do what they say they will do.

What I'm getting to is that if I can't trust the dealer, what do I need to inspect regularly to make sure it is at the right level. Oil is shown in the computer and looks good, coolant I just topped. Anything else??? Brake, power steering? What about this (view image)? it looks low to me. I opened the cap and it has a high/low marker and it is no where near. (Looking at everything with engine cold). What is this reservior for, power steering? Sorry for the lack of knowledge....

Finally, is it normal to have fluids be SO LOW.... I got this vehicle used about one year ago and just did the second oil change. Had not looked too much into it until this coolant light went off.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkTEplHYH0eK6F304OMKxQjaVDBb

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkTEplHYH0eK6Fz7RfBC9J4CCFkW

THANKS

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
What did you use to top up the coolant? Did you use EXACTLY the right grade of coolant that is required? And, if needed, did you dilute with distilled or deionised water? If not you need a coolant flush using the correct coolant.

Using over a litre indicates you might well have a problem anyway as Touaregs don't use the stuff under normal circumstances so you need to check the level daily for a couple of weeks or so to make sure the system is not leaking, or doesn't have a duff EGR or a duff head gasket.

Personally I'd have gone back to the dealer and shown them what I was unhappy with, but if you'd been doing your job as an owner and lifting the hood/bonnet to check levels yourself every couple of weeks you'd have a far better handle on what's right and what's not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, so I did use the VW Coolant and diluted 50-50 as indicated in the bottle with distilled water. The touareg, my wife drives so I check it when i can. I will stop by the dealer and mention it, I just have not had time to do it.

Any feedback on the other fluids like the one in the picture?

I'll keep an eye on the coolant and see if it changes substantially.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump

Anyfeedback on the power steering fluid being low? Is that also normal or may indicate an issue

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Fill everything back up (including the power steering fluid).

Keep a check on the levels. They should stay full.

This is why having an oil dipstick is important. The stupid electronic systems can not be relied on in my opinion.

Also, the coolant has a low level switch (at least in T1's) but it doesn't help until you have lost a lot of fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts