Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm looking for some input on a coolant leak.

Currently I have 96K miles on my '13 3.0 TDI.

Over the past year I have owned it I have had the low coolant warning 4 times. I think I'm still under warranty and would like to get it fixed.

The history of the coolant warning has been the following: vehicle purchased with 76K about a year ago (last July). In October/November of last year after a cold evening I started it up and got the low coolant message. I topped off the coolant (perhaps 250 mL / 1/4 quart). In February of it happened again did the same thing. Last week it happened again. This time I took it to the dealer to see if they could tell me where the leak is coming from. The coolant reservoir (overflow tank on older cars) is just low enough to trip the warning light and seems to need a top off.

To me this is odd since I thought the coolant system is sealed and the coolant should not be evaporating as would be expected in an open reservoir type system. I'm concerned about where it is going.

I've been told that all VWs use coolant. Which to me seems unusual in a sealed system. Particularly one with a low coolant warning.

Also if there is something wrong I'd like it fixed under the power train warranty (I have about 3K miles left!!).

Looking for some thoughts and also whether anyone knows if warranty would cover this?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Your coolant leak is almost certainly one of the EGR coolers. The coolant goes into the exhaust as well as the intake, but your leak isn't bad enough yet to exhibit white smoke in the exhaust. Should be plenty to read up on EGR leaks on this forum.

The oil smell that you posted elsewhere could be coming from oil pooling in the vee of the engine between the cylinder heads. My van has a leak that occurs only in really cold weather and it does the same this, except the oil drains when going up steep hills.

Check your TDI emissions warranty, I am not sure of the oil leak, but the EGR should absolutely be covered to 120,000 miles. Fully transferable. Don't expect the dealer to know about it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
So, I'm looking for some input on a coolant leak.

Currently I have 96K miles on my '13 3.0 TDI.

Over the past year I have owned it I have had the low coolant warning 4 times. I think I'm still under warranty and would like to get it fixed.

The history of the coolant warning has been the following: vehicle purchased with 76K about a year ago (last July). In October/November of last year after a cold evening I started it up and got the low coolant message. I topped off the coolant (perhaps 250 mL / 1/4 quart). In February of it happened again did the same thing. Last week it happened again. This time I took it to the dealer to see if they could tell me where the leak is coming from. The coolant reservoir (overflow tank on older cars) is just low enough to trip the warning light and seems to need a top off.

To me this is odd since I thought the coolant system is sealed and the coolant should not be evaporating as would be expected in an open reservoir type system. I'm concerned about where it is going.

I've been told that all VWs use coolant. Which to me seems unusual in a sealed system. Particularly one with a low coolant warning.

Also if there is something wrong I'd like it fixed under the power train warranty (I have about 3K miles left!!).

Looking for some thoughts and also whether anyone knows if warranty would cover this?

Chances are you have a coolant leak in the valley of the engine particularly the vacuum controlled coolant flow valve.
Common issue.
Get a good torch and look for red coolant stains down deep in the valley of the engine.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer techs did an over night pressure check and visual inspection of the EGR cooler and thermal valve. They told me no leaks could be found.

Is there anything else I can tell them to look at?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts