Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just putting a few (or many) words together about my experience with my current 2007 v10 tdi.
Just to give you a bit off history I lived in the USA between 2007 and 2008 where I owned a 2004 V8 touareg with all the options available. I loved it, however after about 8 months of ownership I started hearing a whining noise coming from the front diff.:( Took it immediately to the VW dealer and was told that after an initial diff oil test the front drive train was destroying itself as metal shaving we're found in the diff oil. The warranty had just run out and I was looking at a $6000 repair bill to fix it. To cut a long story short I did not get it repaired as we moved back to Australia and sold a $24,0000 car from the dealer a year later to a private buyer for $8,000. And yes I did tell the new owner of the diff issue.

So August 2013 and against my wife's better judgement:rolleyes: I purchased a 2007 V10 with 80,0000km from a reputable dealer for $48,000 drive away, which included 3 years extended warranty. Before purchasing, I took it for the customary test drive, etc. looked it over very carefully and took delivery off the car a week later.

Within 1 week I lost the triptronic transmission. I.e. Could not shift down manually, I also noticed a vibration in the steering wheel at 110kmh and my delta radio had an issue.:mad::mad::mad:Back to the dealer it went for 1 week in the service centre. They changed out the radio for an aftermarket unit which gave no where near the sound quality and also lost the cd changer so it was replaced a second time with another original delta unit. Radio issue solved. The steering wheel vibration was fixed by the dealer when I asked him to do a wheel balance. The car had new pirelli's on it and guess what , they were never balanced as I noticed the 19 inch wheels still had the original vw wheel weights present. So issue with the vibration fixed.
Now the triptronic, now your not going to believe this but the issue was found to be about $6 in change falling down into the lever mechanism. Whoever owned the car before must have been using the plate that covers the gear lever as a coin change tray. The dealer spent 1 full day with tweezers and magnets trying to fish out all the coinage. They mentioned if they could not get it all out they would have to order a new linkage system from Germany as they are a sealed unit. Don't know if that comment was correct but they got all the coin out anyway. So away I went at least happy that most off the issues had been fixed at no charge.:p They also ordered a new second fob for me as I only got one with the car and coded it. Happy with that as they are worth over $600 to buy. So I got home thinking all was good. So I thought.

Last week I drive the car for a short trip into town and notice when I went to pass another driver that there was no power. The damn thing had gone into limp mode. Nooooooo, I'm telling myself without trying not let my wife know what was going on. Remember she mentioned to me not to buy this thing based on our experience in the US.

So the next day back to the dealer I go ( without telling the other half). I noticed as soon as I left the house the treg was back to full power. System must have reset itself however I wanted to go to the dealer to see if this was a one off or an error code had been recorded. I explained what happened, they put the car onto their computer and no errors were found. He mentioned that when you turn the car ignition off some fault codes can be lost. Anyway I left frustrated and thought this is going to happen again, I just know it. So went to go to work this morning, had the wife and kids in the car and you guessed it the car went into limp mode again. Couldn't hide it this time as I was going to drive the car straight to the dealer without switching the thing off.:mad:

After dropping everyone off I went to the dealer and this is where the car will stay for the next 2 weeks I guess. I was told that the was intermittent communication loss between the turbo controller and the turbos. They found a fault code but did not tell me what is was. So now the engine has to be dropped and they are going to fit 2 new turbos and the turbo controller.

I'm in two minds what to do. I feel like going back to the car dealer and tell him to take the car back and give me a replacement vehicle possibly a new Mitsubishi triton or Toyota landcruiser etc or do I stick with the treg? Like I said I love the Tregg's but my love affair with them is starting to wear thin. 2 out of 2 lemons. Put that together with that we do go away into the outback a bit and not being able to get decent ATR tyres because I have 19 inch wheels I'm really considering the option of trading out off it to something more reliable. As an FYI I see a lot of talk about whether to get extended warranty or not. We'll I've now been on both sides off the fence. The first time in the USA i had no extended warranty and was looking down the barrel of a $6000 fix. On this new one I took the option based on past experience and lucky I had because I would hate to hear what all the parts and labour would cost on the three weeks in total the car has been with the dealer.
I must say though the dealer has been great, they would not have know the issues existed on the car as they bought it in from the east coast and they have helped every way they can including giving me the next service at 90,000kms worth $1200 for free. That's if I keep the treg. Let you know how it goes moving forward.

Cheers

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Sell it, and cut your losses short... again. VW's, and TDI's in specific, are not for everyone. They are flat out high maintenance, especially if abused by a previous neglectful owner.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sounds to me like a number of the issues were dealer related, not a VW issue. Radio, unbalanced tires, loose change, etc are all issues that the dealer should have caught on their inspection. Unless they didn't look..... I think what's most surprising to me is that they put an aftermarket radio in. That's just flat out wrong.

As for the turbos, it's an issue in the V10 - you are far from alone in that regard. I would tell you to use a different dealer if you can, get your money back if you can't. I wouldn't lay it on VW, but the dealer here. VW's blame is for lack of oversight over ****ty dealers and their standards.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'd bail out for a nice white Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Why the rush to bail out with 2 years of the 3 year warranty left? Seems the dealer is doing all the right things for you now.

You never know it may turn out to be a good vehicle if things get repaired properly as you go with no short cuts, I think you already been hit with the bulk of the capital loss in the last 12 months so keeping her longer will not cost you much more.
Anyhow if you bail out and get into another used vehicle there are no guarantees that it will all be plain sailing with what ever you replace the Treg with.
I say stay with it whilst under warranty and if your patience runs out before the warranty does, then JUMP.
Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with all your comments, I guess thats what I mean about deciding what to do. I traded a 2006 Mitsubishi GLXR Triton 4WD 3.2Ltr turbo diesel on the Treg. It had 250,000 kms on the clock and I had no issues with it. The biggest item that worries me is that we sometimes go up to the Kimberley in WA. I hate to get stuck all the way up there and have to get the Treg towed nearly 600km's to a dealer. Comes down to reliability.

RJ

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Agree with all your comments, I guess thats what I mean about deciding what to do. I traded a 2006 Mitsubishi GLXR Triton 4WD 3.2Ltr turbo diesel on the Treg. It had 250,000 kms on the clock and I had no issues with it. The biggest item that worries me is that we sometimes go up to the Kimberley in WA. I hate to get stuck all the way up there and have to get the Treg towed nearly 600km's to a dealer. Comes down to reliability.

RJ

Life is a bitch!!
OK, stop procrastenating, I think from your last post that you should get rid of the Treg, get yourself a diesel 100 (not the 200) series (rigid front axle) diesel Landcruiser and go for it, parts should be readily available should you break down and you can drive the "truck" around when you get back.
I think the trip will be far more stress free for you you.

Tony

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I tend to agree with Seafarer's 1st comment, get these few things sorted and see if that's the end of it. Any 2nd hand vehicle can and very often does have some issues often because the previous owner ditched the thing because of the dramas. Obviously not always as may trade in on a regular 2 or 3 year cycle even if the thing is perfectly good. John

·
Learner
5,343 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience and troubles. From the known issues and what you have experienced only the turbo issue is relevant.
Coins in shifter mechanism and unbalanced tyres are due to neglect.
As for tyres for 19 there is choice, Pirelli Atr, general grabber and goodyear mtr to mention a few.
Having said that you could still face some other common touareg or v10 specific issues like driveshaft, tandem pump, etc etc
Own a supercar then we have to be prepared to dig deep for repairs especially out of warranty or when the history of vehicle is not known.
As for other vehicles had a 2010 pajero accompany us on cape york trip and was full of dust inside (lots of it!)but the v10 was clean n comfortable.
All the best with your decision, good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a lot of thought I'm sticking with the Treg. Seafarer you right got over 2 years of aftermarket warranty left and Singh as you mentioned the turbos are really the only relevant issues and they are fixing that. I'm under no illusions when I bought the V10 that it was always going to be expensive to maintain, totally prepared for that. The treg is accident free, doesn't have a scratch on it inside or out, he'll even the wheels don't have a mark on them. So I'm going to persist. I've got a VW dealer that is bending over to help me out. If it's still unreliable after a year I'll then reconsider. Though I think all the bugs should be ironed out by then. Thanks all. Catch you on other more pleasant subjects on this great forum. RJ

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
After a lot of thought I'm sticking with the Treg. Seafarer you right got over 2 years of aftermarket warranty left and Singh as you mentioned the turbos are really the only relevant issues and they are fixing that. I'm under no illusions when I bought the V10 that it was always going to be expensive to maintain, totally prepared for that. The treg is accident free, doesn't have a scratch on it inside or out, he'll even the wheels don't have a mark on them. So I'm going to persist. I've got a VW dealer that is bending over to help me out. If it's still unreliable after a year I'll then reconsider. Though I think all the bugs should be ironed out by then. Thanks all. Catch you on other more pleasant subjects on this great forum. RJ
There is always something breaking on a 5 + year old VW... always... BTW, I've owned new and used Vw product since 1981, and nothing has changed. They break uncommon things, and have cheaply made,expensive to replace uncommon items fail on them, far too frequently.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The biggest item that worries me is that we sometimes go up to the Kimberley in WA. I hate to get stuck all the way up there and have to get the Treg towed nearly 600km's to a dealer. Comes down to reliability.

RJ
Glad you are keeping it.

NRMA Premium care - great peace of mind for getting it towed back and given a hire car to use in the meantime. We have used it many times with the kombis, I certainly get my monies worth and have the photos to prove it. :p

·
Learner
5,343 Posts
Nice one, any issues do consult the forum here first. It could save you lot of trouble and $$

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Ronald, you state you want to do the Kimberley etc. My first and foremost advice to you would be to change to 18" tyres. Stick with your vehicle, you have extended warranty - my V10 has done 150 000km and had a number of things done under warranty. It is still the best on/off-road vehicle I have ever driven! Werner

·
Learner
5,343 Posts
Hey Singh
Speaking of keeping vehicles did I see your V10 for sale on Car sales .com?
Regards
Drag
Yes Drag, had the new v8 for a few days to test and wanted to be prepared if it could be a possible v10 replacement. Trade in is not my thing for obvious reasons
But after considering it all cant let go of what all the v10 offers :)
This is despite a very tempting offer lately

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
892 Posts
I had a similar problem on one of my V10's and it was a bad N75 valve. I thought the same as your dealer about replacing the turbo but i took off the valve from my other v10 and tried it out on the one having issues. Problem solved!

Now the real kicker the bad part has been superseded several times and the parts place had to do a little digging to be sure they ordered the correct replacement. As a precaution I replaced both valves on both cars because there must have been an issue at some point that caused the need to improve the part. The turbos should last a very long time and I was told that EGR issues are the cause of the failures. This could be the big problem on the V10 turbos.

Art

·
Learner
5,343 Posts
I had a similar problem on one of my V10's and it was a bad N75 valve. I thought the same as your dealer about replacing the turbo but i took off the valve from my other v10 and tried it out on the one having issues. Problem solved!

Now the real kicker the bad part has been superseded several times and the parts place had to do a little digging to be sure they ordered the correct replacement. As a precaution I replaced both valves on both cars because there must have been an issue at some point that caused the need to improve the part. The turbos should last a very long time and I was told that EGR issues are the cause of the failures. This could be the big problem on the V10 turbos.

Art
Two v10s? Nice, is the other an R50?

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
The limp home from the turbo module failure is common with earlier V10's. Once changed it will be fixed for life. You have a reliable vehicle with a small electronic fault , that can be fixed cheaply, but if the dealer is throwing new turbos on take this fix as it will give even longer trouble free life.

·
Registered
617 Posts
After a lot of thought I'm sticking with the Treg.
Good move mate . There is HUGE value in having an onside dealer.
Advice to the missus...... no need to knock the brand, it's how they are treated that counts !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts