Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaded luggage into the hatch. Probably 150 lbs total. Then closed the auto hatch. 2 passengers got into the car. Soon as I put my foot on the brake to start the car a loud unwinding noise popped.. Like a tightly wound spring releasing. The car shuttered the tiniest amount.

I start driving down the road. I now hear a slight rattling. I though maybe the hatch didn't tightly close from the luggage. Verified its 100% closed.

It's dark out but I did a quick once over and the sway bars and coils appear to be intact.

Any ideas for the morning??

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
These are auto electric brakes (handbrake) right ? My wife has these in her cc ... my MY09 is more or less old school with a drum in the centre of the rear hubs .... thinking on the run ... even still shouldnt matter regardless .... but do you have a park brake working right now ?

Just wondering if something in the park brake let go... ??

Do you really think anything to do with putting your foot on the pedal had anything to do with it or just timing and coincidence ....

Strange that the whole car shuddered !!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the electric park brake. I'll check on that today. I'm also gonna throw it in neutral when driving to see if it still makes noises.

I dont know how to explain the shutter. The whole car didn't move per se, but you could feel the energy from whatever 'popped' run through the car for sure

I suppose it could be coincidence that this happened as soon as I touched the brake but it's a heck a coincidence lol

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm 99.99% sure I was right. I climbed my big ass under the car. This is in front of the passenger rear tire.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is fairly common when the springs are painted and supported in the factory leaving a spot that is not protected. A rust spot starts and is a stress concentration and the coil spring fatigues there and breaks. This is more common where salt is used on the roads, like Buffalo, New York.
You might want to inspect the replacement springs for areas that are unpainted or scratched and probably best to replace both rears as a pair.
It might also be a good idea the take a look at the other springs for rusty spots and perhaps try some anti corrosion coatings.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't know that, good information!

Since there aren't any real upgrades for springs in these cars other than drop springs (I need to maintain height or lift it..), I'm thinking I'll be replacing all 4 with Bilstein b6 shocks. If there were a spring alternative I'd consider it. I never put stock stuff back in when there are performance alternatives.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, are Porsche cayenne gts springs and upgrade over my stockers???

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ha ! wow yeah ok that will shake the car !!

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
636 Posts
After conversing with others in other threads I think the B6's will increase your ride height.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ! wow yeah ok that will shake the car !!
LOL. Soon as it happened I'm like.. wow that was weird.. that sounded exactly like a spring under a high amount of losing its tension...

After conversing with others in other threads I think the B6's will increase your ride height.
Interesting! That would make sense to me.. I could use a slight lift due to living in ski country. Any ideas on how much lift? I'm guessing .5-1"

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
636 Posts
I think some have said 25-40mm. Maybe someone who has installed the B6's could provide some first hand info.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke w/ ECS and Forge and they said in the case of the Touareg and its weight, they highly doubt its lifted at all. I have seen in other reads for other German cars what you're saying to be true though.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I think some have said 25-40mm. Maybe someone who has installed the B6's could provide some first hand info.
No, don't believe that is possible.

I did install B6's in my old '08 3.0tdi, the complication is that the install included B6 dampers, 40mm AG spacers and King Springs, all were installed at same time.
Note: King Springs claim their springs to be stiffer but OEM length, but I did not check length prior fitting.

Before (R): 840mm (Ground to wheel arch)
Before (F): 865mm
Change:
Front: +50mm
Rear: +35mm

As you can see the height gains seem to be due to the spacers not the dampers.

TonyB

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turns out I worked w/ another member here, VWBOB, and it looks like my springs are from a Hybrid (2 red 1 yellow paint marks). When I spoke w/ the parts department, they theorized hybrid springs are for a lighter vehicle (they think hybrid weighs less than TDI). I'm wondering if this could be why it broke?

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
270 Posts
The hybrid actually weighs more, 4,974 lbs for Diesel and 5,260 lbs for the hybrid... batteries kinda have that effect.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats exactly what I told parts dept! I'm like.. even w/ all of the batteries you're telling me tdi weighs more?!

I'm wondering if the hybrid springs would be an upgrade then? And putting the stockers back in would be a downgrade?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I replaced rear shocks yesterday and it was an easy job except for getting lower shock mount bolt back in, I would like to know how shops do it?
The ride is great, really damp over bumps and brought back the tight feeling driving down the road like when new. If this becomes my daily driver next year if wife gets a new car I may have to change to H&R sport springs and yellow Bilsteins for a even sportier ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
636 Posts
I replaced rear shocks yesterday and it was an easy job except for getting lower shock mount bolt back in, I would like to know how shops do it?
The ride is great, really damp over bumps and brought back the tight feeling driving down the road like when new. If this becomes my daily driver next year if wife gets a new car I may have to change to H&R sport springs and yellow Bilsteins for a even sportier ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was watching the video in the link below. I know it's for a '07-'10 Q7 but It looks similar to our Tregs. At ~1:20 in the video I think he refers to the repair manual that may explain how to get that bolt out easier.

I have an appointment on July 10th with my local indie shop to get the full set of Bilstein B4's installed. Can't wait to feel the difference.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was watching the video in the link below. I know it's for a '07-'10 Q7 but It looks similar to our Tregs. At ~1:20 in the video I think he refers to the repair manual that may explain how to get that bolt out easier.

I have an appointment on July 10th with my local indie shop to get the full set of Bilstein B4's installed. Can't wait to feel the difference.

Just an FYI, the b4 is supposed to be OEM valving, unless you're referring to installing the b4 Sport selection?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Go figure..... VW manual says to use a piece of wood to get bottom shock mount bolt out/in. Too bad I didn't find this video when researching this job.

Our shocks come out by accessing the 4 upper mount bolts from inside the cargo area which was real easy, I had both shocks out in about 30 minutes, another 20-30 minutes to change springs each and then 4 hours trying to get lower control arm down far enough to get the stupid bolt back in.

Unless you are using a sport spring that is lowering your car you do not want to use the B4 Sport Shock, if you have standard suspension set up with OEM springs you should use the B4 Touring shock that is designed as OEM replacement to Touareg's with standard suspension. The touring shock is a noticeable improvement in dampening and handling especially if you are like me and have 138K on the OEM shocks. They were not shot (leaking) but they were not doing what they needed to do at this point.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts