Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first post, actually I created this account to see if anyone else has had this problem!
I was driving on the highway and accelerated. immediately a noise that sounds like a flat tire was coming from below the center console.
I pulled off the highway to check it out, all the tires were fine but the plastic shield protecting the underneath of the car was loose.
I figured that the noise was the shield flapping around and I would just drive home and zip tie it back in place once I got there and that it would be no big deal.
While pulling back onto the highway the loud noise came back as soon as the car shifted into second gear. It is a loud consistent banging that would only stop once my speed was about 10 mph or what I believe was first gear.
I limped home and looked under the car again, I didn't see anything weird. I went ahead and zip tied the plastic shield back and drove it around and the noise was still banging.
I am here just asking if anyone has had this situation happen and what the diagnosis was? The dealer is closed today so I have some time to sit and obsess about this :crying: .
Thanks for any help that may come from this!!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Center bearing on the rear driveshaft??? <shrug>

Get under and take a look at your REAR driveshaft. No need to remove plastic shield. The carrier bearing assembly is behind (rearward) of the plastic guards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked all under there, didn't see anything weird.
I am worried that its the transmission.....which would suck.
I do have an extended warranty I purchased when I bought the vehicle so hopefully there will be no real cost.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You can repair yourself with the Vertex Bearing or a refurb drive shaft for much less. It's not hard to fix nor does it take long to do.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
x4. Centre bearing. Very well known issue.

Read the buying a used Touareg thread - link in my signature. Then you will know what other surprises might be coming your way.

Don't drive the car anywhere. If it's a long way to your dealer, a flat truck is required.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,608 Posts
x5 Centre Support bearing for the driveshaft.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Let me guess ... you're at about 85,000 miles?

Center support bearing.

We've ALL had it!!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
As all have said CMB-100% sure. Get one of the aftermarket solutions that doesn't require the shaft to be pulled, fix it and forget about it. The OEM part will fail. Very typical.

Below is the Vertex Web site. Call the number (if you want to go this route) and talk to someone (I found it easier than going over the web). If you are not up for install, pay an independent mechanic half hour to do it (very easy job).

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/293812 Touareg Driveshaft Clamping Bearing Support Mount.aspx?gclid=CKGB6673p8sCFceBfgodrNEKNA

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
...and DO NOT DRIVE until fixed. You can bend / damage driveline. Then it WILL be expensive.
AND consider that the transmission output bearing is NOT designed to take the eccentric loading the failure produces. You REALLY don't want to have to replace that bearing if you can avoid it.
What sort of extended warranty do you have? If it is not the VW-Fidelity Platinum plan let us know how you came out on that deal.

Reactions: sawtooth

·
Registered
14 Posts
cheap centre bearing fix

This happen to me in April this year while towing a three tonne caravan. After doing some research on this forum I tried the hydrolic hose fix, which cost me $8.
After doing 18,000 km around Australia later, still going strong. See below pictures of how i fixed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
This happen to me in April this year while towing a three tonne caravan. After doing some research on this forum I tried the hydrolic hose fix, which cost me $8.
After doing 18,000 km around Australia later, still going strong. See below pictures of how i fixed it.
Looks like your zip ties touch the shaft? Or am I misunderstanding the design wrong? I would think they would wear from contact and break off?

·
Registered
733 Posts
hibbles... have you resolved your issue?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Can the Vertex be used on a 09 TDI? I didn't see my year listed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts