Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, I did try to search the database for information on this but haven't found any other post.

My Touareg is a v8 and it makes a considerable amount of engine noise the closest thing that I can compare it to is that it sounds similar to a diesel and the noise gets louder as you take off. At hwy speeds I do not notice it just in the driveway or parking lot. It is so loud that my neighbor even asked me the other day what was wrong with the car. My wife took it to the dealer and they told her that it was operating as intended. Has anyone else encountered a similar noise? I guess I should go to the dealer and listen to a new one, just haven't had time for that.

Thanks for your input

Other problems
Nav System replaced
Tire Pressure Issue
cup holders replaced
seat belts
trailer hitch wiring

All of those were fixed to my liking by Duke's Speedway VW.

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,305 Posts
Every V8 I've ever heard, was barely audible.

Your dealership is full of crap. The V8 in the TOUAREG is incredibly quiet and smooth running, when it's running normally.

Get tough 'cuz it ain't right!!!!! :chainsaw:

· Registered
18 Posts
Same with my V8

My Touareg is a v8 and it makes a considerable amount of engine noise the closest thing that I can compare it to is that it sounds similar to a diesel and the noise gets louder as you take off.
Same with my new Touareg (V8 with all the options)... I have to take it to the dealer tomorrow for an electrical problem I've been having and I intend to have them check it out. I'll post when they give me the runaround... I mean the results. Since it didn't always sound like it does now I'm convinced it's not "normal." By the way, did you get a light come on on the HUD saying you needed the differential to be serviced? That light came on for me today but is no longer lit-up since I restarted it.

· Registered
18 Posts
No I didn't get the differential message just that annyoing loud engine noise.
I agree it's very annoying... to the point that I'm a little embarrased that it ticks so much!

· Registered
18 Posts
I use super premium "93" octane rating. Since I can't buy any "better" gas that's not the problem.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry it has taken me so long to post a response but the past few weeks have been extremely busy.

I contacted VW and they said the noise was operating as intended.

Anyway yesterday the wife calls from work and states that the Touareg won't start, I have the same dead battery problem everyone else does I take it to the dealership and they say the reason is that we left the navi cd in the dash and that the navi wakes up and drains the battery. I have never heard anything so stupid. So while I am there I make them start a brand new V8 for me and listen to it next to mine. All the sudden they agree that the noise is awful. They call me this morning and state the reason is bad bearings in the A/C compreesor so they are going to replace it. They call me this afternoon and state that the treg needs a new alternator as well and as you would guess it needs to be ordered. To add insult to injury the treg tech is going on vacation until September. They state they are going to give us a comperable car to drive in the meantime. My wife shows up this afternoon to get the comparable car and it is a Pontiac Grand Prix. Needless to say I am furious with VW. Previoulsy I was a Lexus owner and they always gave me the next better model to drive.

The sad part is that on paper my wife and I love this car, but the gremlins are horrible. I will probably trade it for a lexus or infiniti this fall. It sucks I like the treg better but it just is not reliable at all and to top it off VW doesn't get it. You buy a $50,000 truck and they give you a Pontiac grand prix to drive while it is the shop for 2 weeks?

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Frankly, I would look at this as a long term investment in a really fine vehicle. If you own the car for 3 years (average time people keep cars and a typical lease period), you are in it for 156 weeks. If it takes a couple of weeks to sort the car out and make it reliable, which seems to be what VW is trying to do for you, why dump it when it is just starting to get good?

On the other hand, if it is in the shop every other week for the first 3 to 6 months, then you are right to dump it and it would probably qualify for a buy-back anyway.

· Registered
1 Posts
Loud noise from V8

I just bought a used 2004 Touareg. I also think the engine is quite loud. Also, when I stop at a light, the engine feels like it's idling very rough.
I have taken it to the dealer twice, and they state that it is "normal".
I definitely don't agree with that, but I'm not sure what to do about it.
Any suggestions?

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Ask the dealer to show you that other V8s on his lot exhibit the same noise. You should also know that VW changed the exhaust on the V8 several months ago, discontinuing the center muffler. The newer V8 models are said to be a bit louder than the early V8 models.

· Registered
328 Posts
My V8 is quiet at idle (86k VIN). It's so quiet, I tried to start it after it was already started (I guess that tach IS useful in auto transmission cars after all!).

Accelerating, I would say the engine has a "pleasant" V8 roar. The only people I could imagine that would dislike the sound of the V8 accelerating should probably have bought a DeVille. ;)

Idle definitely is rougher than I would suspect it should be on a $50k vehicle, but I don't see the RPM's dancing around, so I don't care. Putting the truck into neutral smooths it out somewhat, but not totally. I'm not worried.

· Registered
2 Posts
Was the Engines noise resolved?

Sorry it has taken me so long to post a response but the past few weeks have been extremely busy.

I contacted VW and they said the noise was operating as intended.

Anyway yesterday the wife calls from work and states that the Touareg won't start, I have the same dead battery problem everyone else does I take it to the dealership and they say the reason is that we left the navi cd in the dash and that the navi wakes up and drains the battery. I have never heard anything so stupid. So while I am there I make them start a brand new V8 for me and listen to it next to mine. All the sudden they agree that the noise is awful. They call me this morning and state the reason is bad bearings in the ?
What was the outcome after the repairs is the engine noise still there. I just purchased an 2006 Touareg and the only issue I haveis the loud engine noise the handling is great, having owned a 2004 Honda CRV, 2004 Nissan X-trail, 2002 toyota Aletzza and a 2000 honda civic hatch back. This is definitely a keeper but that engine noise...

· Registered
9 Posts
I have very bad noise comes up from the engine when I started in miring only last for less than 30 sec... Like knocking almost and after 30 sec every things normall ...I did use reglur gas few times I did top up the oil more than what need like one litter more .....I hope everything's okay!Anyone has same issue?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.