Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I lost my Key. I have ripped apart the house searching for my spare... I can't find it anywhere. Car is locked and in the garage. The spare Key could possibly be inside the car. Either in my Golf Bag, or in the arm rest storage unit with a bunch of other crap. I just don't know if it's in the car or not. I don't know if I locked the Key in the rear while closing it on Saturday morning. I have been tracking every step I took since last closing the hatch. No luck on finding this Key.
What are my options now? Can the dealer get my a new key by just using my VIN? I can call a locksmith to get into the car, but what happens next? Alarm goes off until the car dies? Has anyone Fudged as bad as I have? I will call the dealer in the morning to see what they say.
Thanks for any input!

· Registered
767 Posts
Been there,done that. Shut my hatch with key in the back, didn't think the car would lock with key inside so looked everywhere for hours, finally looked in back window and saw VW logo on my fob peeking out from the corner of a blanket. I only received 1 key when I purchased the car so I was SOL. I was told that AAA could open it with an air bag but I didn't want to risk damage to the door. Called the dealer and ordered a valet key with my vin #, $50.00 plastic key that only gains you entry into car which is all I needed because I could see the key in car. I've since bought another fob w/key,but you have to have the new key programmed at dealership so if your key is not inside the car the valet key doesn't help much and you'll have to flatbed your rig to dealership. New key fob and programming $200.00.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn... I'm trying to look through my rear window, but I have pretty dark tint on the rears - I can't seem to see the key back there. This is what I'm risking now. If I open the front drivers side door (when I buy the key), I know the alarm is going to go off - Happened in my '10 GTI... I don't know for sure if the key is in the car.
I'm assuming the alarm will be going off for an extended period of time... Maybe until the battery dies out? I guess I just have to buy a new key, and try to program it while the alarm is going off? Is that a thing? Man this is horrible.

· Registered
767 Posts
In the search function I entered Key fob and in thread started by Perry01 bottom of 2nd page " Locked key in Touareg" on 2nd page JeffW states he used someone that opened his door with an airbag and that it didn't affect his door. Ordering valet key thru dealership took 3 days, AAA could do it for you tonight.

Reactions: BrokenRocket

· Registered
767 Posts
Damn... I'm trying to look through my rear window, but I have pretty dark tint on the rears - I can't seem to see the key back there. This is what I'm risking now. If I open the front drivers side door (when I buy the key), I know the alarm is going to go off - Happened in my '10 GTI... I don't know for sure if the key is in the car.
I'm assuming the alarm will be going off for an extended period of time... Maybe until the battery dies out? I guess I just have to buy a new key, and try to program it while the alarm is going off? Is that a thing? Man this is horrible.
If buy the valet key, it is programmed to your and alarm won't go off.

Reactions: BrokenRocket

· Registered
20,262 Posts
The airbag entry will not damage the door if you know for sure that the key is in the car

Otherwise get the valet key.

As I have warned many times on here, NEVER run a Touareg without having the second key to hand so, for anyone who is reading this sorry saga and only has one key, order another TODAY and suck up the cost, otherwise double check that you know exactly where the spare key is AND that it still works!

· Registered
1,219 Posts
We always rotate our keys every 6 mos to make sure they both work. Never have both in the car at the same time. Traveling long trips wife and I carry a key just in case!! So far so good. Good luck and when it is over as Nooby said get the second key.

· Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
If you have keyless entry, buttons on the outside door handle, just open the door. I did this once leaving my key in the back hatch area. It allowed me to open the hatch.

· Registered
767 Posts
If you have keyless entry, buttons on the outside door handle, just open the door. I did this once leaving my key in the back hatch area. It allowed me to open the hatch.
I'll have try this now that I have back up keys, can't remember if I tried this when I was locked out but I'm sure I did. Tadpole, I now have valet key Hidden under car in magnetic box with keyfob stashed back in first aid compartment and don't seem to have any I'll effects with having second key inside car.

· Registered
16 Posts
I can say thats easy since my brother in law is a locksmith. But during my new 2016 treg purchase last week I actually kinda asked for a 3rd imagining a similar scenario happening to me and feeling like a"I need a spare for my spare!"

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Use each of your three keys regularly!

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Quite a few folk have discovered their long unused spare key doesn't work when called upon! And one or two haven't been able to find them either . . .

· Registered
11 Posts
What does a dealer need to make additional keys? Our car had just one key when we bought it, and the black plastic strip with the secret key code wasn't present anymore. Will a dealer be able to supply new keys in this case?

· Registered
53 Posts
Hello everyone, Very interesting reading about lost keys and not knowing where they have placed the spare key. Next time you decide to hide your spare car key take a photo with your phone of the key in in the place you have placed it and email to your self and to someone else you trust . So in the future if you require you spare key the location will be on your phone or email and don't forget to label the Photo with spare key location so you can find it easily.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
What does a dealer need to make additional keys? Our car had just one key when we bought it, and the black plastic strip with the secret key code wasn't present anymore. Will a dealer be able to supply new keys in this case?
The dealer needs to access VW HQ to program your new key. Not cheap but it gets even more expensive if you lose the only key!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.