Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
Temp gauge is useless. Do you have VCDS to monitor different temp sensors?
The leak could be anywhere..... more than likely EGR\oil cooler in valley..... it will be covered by dieselgate.
You need a proper VCDS scan as you might have soft or pending codes... just nothing sufficient to throw a CEL.
The dealer may make you pay diagnostic fee without a CEL....

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
Can I figure out if the Oil cooler is leaking with VCDS? Would the exact temp gauge be a little higher or something that I would be able to diagnose? Or anything visually to look at around the engine?
No, VCDS won't tell you that you have a leak there.
Yes, look for oil and\or coolant in the valley, under all the crap that's there.... use a borescope.
Are you seeing coolant\oil loss? Or why are you suspecting you have a leak?

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
No I can't. Read the document. It's up to you to argue that it's a part that can be reasonably impacted by the fix. You either figure out how to argue that point, or you figure out how to get the first butchers to redo the repair correctly, or you pony up.

The number is also listed in the same warranty document which you're apparently reading from what I recall.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
So let's review.
The dealer said
"it's definitely the oil cooler leaking"
You checked and can't see any evidence of external leaks at the oil cooler. This can be explained in the following ways.
1 - the oil cooler isn't leaking as per dealer, so keep looking.
2 - you are blind
3 - the oil cooler is leaking internally, which means that you should either see oil in your coolant or you should see your oil level increasing
4 - another component\connection in the coolant system is leaking instead

I'll wait while you decide which of these is the most feasible, or you want to look into.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
Lastly... when you had the car running, was it fully warmed up and hot, or just idling? The cooling system is split so you'll only have "partially circulating coolant" unless you are fully up to operating temp and the cylinder block circuit is open to allow flow through the EGR cooler, rad, etc.

So you basically need to go drive it aggressively for a little to make sure you are nice and hot and then check with it "running" before it has a chance to cool down and isolate the circuits again.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
Pressure test coolant system and quit clowning around. Could be EGR cooler,, shutoff valve, water pump, oil filter housing, etc.. probably something super obvious like your overflow bottle!

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
I'm not following you.
What are you on the hook for potentially?
You said you have receipts or proof of earlier fixing or whatever. So how is there still a mistery as to the correct parts being used or whatever? Don't those documents tell you what exact parts were used? What am I not understanding here?

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
Credit is not deserved when you are left with a recent butcher repair that will now cost you and additional $3k.... but maybe my perspective is different or something....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts