Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I recently purchased a 2015 Touareg TDI and have noticed that it's losing coolant. Every few days I'm having to add coolant but not a whole lot. It gets just below the minimum line and so I add more. I've added 3-4 times now since purchasing 3 weeks ago. The temp while driving never gets above 200-205 even during long trips so no overheating issues yet.

Where could this slow leak be coming from? EGR? Oil cooler? Water pump (I would assume I'd lose more if it was the water pump). Also would these issues be covered by the extended emissions fix warranty? Just wondering whether I should bring it to a VW dealer or to a good locally known VW mechanic.

Is there something I could look for myself? Are any of these issues easy enough fixes or just best to take it to a dealer?
Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a VCDS scan cable coming so hopefully it will show something but maybe not. At this point I might just make an appointment with the local VW dealership. I don't typically like dealing with dealerships unless covered under warranty so hopefully it's something that is covered which I would imagine it would be. I still have the extended emissions warranty for another 13k miles.

I could do it myself as I've done similar work on my 2006 F350 6.0 Powerstroke but I'd rather not! LOL

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I took it to my local VW dealer and they just called me to say "it's definitely the oil cooler leaking". Pretty annoyed considering the small dealer I bought it from said they replaced the oil cooler due to a leak. So that leaves me wondering...did they really replace it and if so did they just do a bad job or use a crap part.

The VW dealer is quoting $2200 to repair. Not sure where to go from here. Back to where I bought it to see if they'll fix this or to a local mechanic to avoid the dealership. Or do it myself if I can source the correct parts.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What are you talking about? I told you in #2 it's covered under dieselgate. Did you not have the fix applied?
If the first dealer said "they did whatever fix", did you not ask for receipts, proof, whatever... were you like "ok thanks".
This VW dealer told me the oil cooler is not covered under the extended emissions warranty. Is that not true?

Right now I'm just under 108K so obviously still under dieselgate warranty

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Powertrain expired?

Lol I wouldn't trust any small dealers with these
Yeah I'm at 108K

So if the oil cooler is not covered under dieselgate warranty then it's either pay the VW dealer $2200, do it myself, or take it back to the small dealer that said they replaced it with VW part and have them fix their work.

If I would do the work myself what part(s) would I need to purchase. I've done an oil cooler job on a 2006 F350 and that was a PIA but doable.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So no evidence of said repair?
Read your warranty and decide if you want to argue to fix on your dime.
Well...I didn't see anything regarding the oil cooler in that extended emissions warranty overview. Can you direct me to where I can find a more detailed description on what is covered? Isn't there a number I can call also?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I used my scope to try and see down in there and took some pictures. I did it with and w/out the car running hoping to see something but really I couldn't see much. Obviously there's oil on the outside of the oil cooler especially towards the bottom. Some areas had oil splatter marks. Also is it odd that the top of the oil cooler has that weird stain and what looks like a drop of oil?

Automotive lighting Gas Glass Font Metal
Tints and shades Liquid Flooring Metal Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Astronomical object Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So let's review.
The dealer said

You checked and can't see any evidence of external leaks at the oil cooler. This can be explained in the following ways.
1 - the oil cooler isn't leaking as per dealer, so keep looking.
2 - you are blind
3 - the oil cooler is leaking internally, which means that you should either see oil in your coolant or you should see your oil level increasing
4 - another component\connection in the coolant system is leaking instead

I'll wait while you decide which of these is the most feasible, or you want to look into.
I may be a little blind.

I mean there was oil along the bottom of the cooler as you can see in those pictures so maybe it's that bottom plate and gasket. Otherwise I definitely didn't see anything obvious. I will take it on a drive later and check afterwards to see if more happens once it's been worked a little harder. I'm in Florida and it was definitely hot yesterday and I had it running idle for at least a half hour while I was tinkering around. I would think it would have gotten up to temp enough to start flowing through the EGR. I will say though when I towed my boat last weekend I'm pretty sure I lost more coolant than I typically do. So I will try that...running it harder, maybe some wide open throttle on a quick highway drive and then check again.

I was happy to see that the small dealership I purchased the car from that replaced the oil cooler actually did use a VW/Audi part and not some junk imitation.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Go to the thread I linked. Lots of info there about getting it covered under the extended warranty as well as parts lists. The oil cooler itself is just metal plates welded together so it's more likely some of the other plastic parts or gaskets in the valley related to coolant. These are the parts I replaced. They are easy to get. I got mine in 3 to 4 days. Does not include oil cooler itself which is around $600.
Thanks for the info, I started reading through that thread last night. I beginning to think that the oil cooler is not actually leaking and it's one of the several other parts that have been discussed in that thread. I mean, why would a brand new oil cooler leak unless it was installed wrong (which is entirely possible) but I would imagine my coolant wouldn't be so clean looking. There should be oil in it at that point right? I reached out to the VW dealer this morning to ask them how they diagnosed that it "definitely is the oil cooler".

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update - looked again after I got home from work today. My drive is about 40 mins, 20 miles of which is highway. I still did not see any noticeable leaks. Some oil in the valley - yes. No idea where it's coming from. I talked to the dealer where I purchased the car and they sent me the invoices for the parts they purchased and installed including the oil cooler. They purchased the parts directly from their local VW/Audi dealership. Those parts are warrantied... and have only been in the car a little over a month.

So I called my local VW dealership back who said my oil cooler was the issue. I told them I have the receipts for the parts and they are all genuine VW parts. I forwarded them all to them via email. So the service advisor said that he would talk to their shop foreman in the morning but he thinks it means they will replace free of charge. I'm not so sure that's how it works but I'll take that if they're willing to do it. :) Worst case I get the replacement parts for free and have to pay labor. I'm still not convinced it's the oil cooler so I'd rather let the dealership do the work and replace what they believe is wrong. If it's still leaking after that they should stand behind their work and their diagnosis. That and whatever else could be leaking after the oil cooler should be covered under emissions warranty. I will reach out to them again tomorrow to see what the game plan is and when I can bring it in to have the work performed.

Here's a list of the parts replaced by the place I bought it from.
059-117-015-P Oil Cooler
059-121-506-H Flange
059-129-717-N Gasket
059-129-718-A Gasket
059-129-069-A Gasket
059-145-215-8 Gasket
059-121-149-B Washer
N-908-091-02 Seal Ring

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So the latest from my local dealership. Since the part is under warranty they said they should be able to do the repair free of charge. However they said they need me to agree to pay labor if they do all the work to get in there and it's not the correct part number. "Sometimes Audi and VW part numbers aren't the same". 😂...well from everything I've seen they use the same part. I mean it's the same engine. Haha. Kind of strange that they'd try to throw in that little caveat that doesn't even make sense.

Anyway, while they're in there I'm going to ask them to pressure test and probably replace other parts known to fail from other threads, especially if they're not expensive parts.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So the pressure test is done prior to any repairs in order to identify the failed component. This will not end well.
Well I would think they would have done that then when I took it to them and paid the $150 diagnostic fee and said to me "it's definitely your oil cooler". If they didn't I will ask them to.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm not following you.
What are you on the hook for potentially?
You said you have receipts or proof of earlier fixing or whatever. So how is there still a mistery as to the correct parts being used or whatever? Don't those documents tell you what exact parts were used? What am I not understanding here?
Since the dealership (not VW/Audi) I bought the car from had replaced the oil cooler and purchased it from an Audi dealership, my local VW dealership said I have to agree to potentially pay for labor if the part turns out to not be the right one. Just a bunch of lip service I think...I mean of course it's the right part. And yes it's says on the invoice.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
059-121-737-AM is the part that seems to fail most often for people if you're losing coolant. Are you sure it's oil around the oil cooler and not coolant? Stick a long rod in there and dip it in the fluid to see the color. If it is oil then sounds like thr gaskets failed. You could be losing coolant to the oil channels. You wouldn't see dirty coolant in that case but they can do a fluid analysis of the oil to see if coolant is getting in there.
So the dealership got back to me this morning. They are saying it was a workmanship issue because the dealer where I purchased the car used RTV sealant of some sort between the oil cooler and the oil cooler plate along with the gasket, which in turn caused the seal to fail and oil to leak between seals. They gave me a quite hefty quote of $3100 to buy all new parts and fix everything. It's kind of funny though since they originally quoted me $2270 to replace the oil cooler after their initial diagnosis.

Also this new quote snuck something else in....it INCLUDES the part noted above 059-121-737-AM. So obviously it wasn't just my oil cooler that was leaking. So I asked, "would that part and some of the labor be covered under the emissions warranty" to which they replied "Unfortunately not".

Here are some pictures of the "workmanship" issues they found with the last oil cooler install. Also a picture of the parts they would be including with the repair. The oil cooler was just purchased on 7/1/22. So I said why purchase a new oil cooler if it didn't actually fail and it was a "workmanship" issue? He said well the part still did end up failing due to the workmanship during installation - it can't just be flushed out and reused. Also the gasket comes with the oil cooler so there's no separation of the two.

Oh and they are also offering to clean the intake for an extra $160. Pics of that too below. Not sure if it's needed.
White Light Gas Bicycle part Wood
White Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Hood Tire Sleeve
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Bicycle part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sleeve Bicycle part Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Font Auto part Nickel Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Tread
Automotive tire Gas Font Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Tire
Font Rectangle Material property Circle Pattern

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So what are your options now?
Either pay (which I've gotten them down to $2400 or $2600 if I want the intake manifold cleaned out.

The thing is the previous dealer said they did not use RTV sealant...just the gaskets. They got all of the parts from their local VW/Audi dealer. So I'm not sure whether I should just pay up or fight the fact that they're saying it was a workmanship issue with the previous oil cooler repair/install.

The fact that they're sneaking in this coolant bypass valve and saying that was leaking as well has me thinking they're trying to pull a fast one and not go through warranty. They also told me that coolant bypass valve was not covered under the emissions warranty which from what I've read completely disagree with. Could that leaking bypass valve have caused issues thus leading to the failure of the oil cooler gaskets?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The last dealer was Volkswagen too?
No, but they purchased all of the parts from Volkswagen. My local dealership actually even said after seeing those original invoices that if it turned out to be a part failure everything would be covered. Now the more I look at those pictures the more I think they're trying to pull a fast one on me. I really don't see any RTV sealant...just oil and engine grime.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts