Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
945 Posts
Here's the "process" that my local "Dis-service Department" used for coolant loss:

A) Customer states that " INSERT CUSTOMER STATED PROBLEM HERE"
B) Dis-Service department, finds nothing wrong (?), charges a labor fee. (aka - free wallet dipping)
C) One month later, Customer Returns with SAME complaint. Dis-Service Department: "FINE -We'll look deeper" (WTF did they do the first time!?!?!?!)
D) Finds "A" problem, creates cost estimate, tries to get signature for repair.
E) Customer says "WHOA- Under warranty"........Dis-Service department: Evades like a slimy snake trying to undo what they just said.
F) Finally, agrees to repair, 2+ week wait, tries to evade loaner requirements........
G) Repair finally proceeds, dis-service department : " Hey, we can pad this bill by asking for unwarrantable labor while we have it apart". Customer understands their behavior, and declines unnecessary work.
H) Customer receives car finally... Begins losing coolant AGAIN later that year WTF!?!?!?!?
I) Takes car back refer to A)
J) Dis-service passes problem to a roaming wandering vagabond VW service expert. Expert removes nose pulley, finds water pump is obviously leaking, and the belt and engine dust shield are covered in oily coolant slime. 3 weeks later water pump is replaced, problem disappears, and has not returned since.
K) Customer hates them even more...............Vows to NEVER purchase another VAG product.

WELL DONE VW !!!!

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I've not had that experience with my Volkswagen dealer. Though, my 2.0TSI Tiguan was a real nightmare at the end of ownership.

·
Registered
108 Posts
FYI, The 10 year/100k mile warranty will cover the water pump. I recently had mine replaced under warranty on a 2013 V6 Exec. Would have been a $600 job otherwise.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Hi Syn,

My repair shop had to degrease the engine to troubleshoot the leak. As a side note, (and I think I mentioned it already) they replaced the serpentine belt because the coolant was running off the front of the engine down.

I did speak to the car dealer that sold me the car and they'll pay for about a third of the repair which (IMHO) is a pretty good deal. They could have flat out said no dice.

Now that I have the car back, I really like it a lot. Drove it in slushy snow over the weekend and it rolls true to a laser line on the highway. Plus I've noticed at cruising speeds ~70 to beyond.... this thing wants to run! Torque at cruising speed is amazing. My Escape was a bit faster, but wouldn't ever be able to keep up with the Reg on top end.

Cheers,
TBS
Glad it worked out for you.

Treg's are great. When my wife and I were looking for a replacement for our Audi allroad she wanted something a bit higher so we looked at the Tiguan, rav4, forester etc. and while we were at the dealer waiting for the rep to bring a Tiguan around for a test drive I sat in the Treg they had in the showroom. As soon as I set in it I was like wow, this is cool! I'm 6'4" and it was spacious and felt like a tank. This was the 2010. I said to my wife let's take it for a test and she said no, it was too big, too expensive so fine. Then I saw a 2010 at a used lot and I convinced my wife to stop by for a test drive just to see. As soon as I took it up on the highway I was like crap, I gotta convince her to get this without giving much away. It was her turn and she was impressed with it as well.

Turned out it was a diesel and also an import from the US that was bought back by VW after multiple owners had fuel pump/rails/gas tank replaced but it had been driven in Canada for 4 years with no service history. We took a chance on it and got it really cheap with diesel gate still in limbo at the time. That one drove like a tank. I don't know what it's like driving a snowplow, but I think that's what it felt like. Then I returned it under the diesel deal and bought the 2013. This one I find is a sport version of the 2010 with less weight, better fuel consumption, and better handling. It doesn't coddle you with luxuries like an Audi or Mercedes might, but it has most of the functions.

BTW I don't know if you have heard but you can have the emission "fixes" deleted along with all the various hardware that will likely fail for you. When my extended warranty runs out I'm going to look into having it done to avoid future headaches.

Then,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
FYI, The 10 year/100k mile warranty will cover the water pump. I recently had mine replaced under warranty on a 2013 V6 Exec. Would have been a $600 job otherwise.
Good to know, thanks. I will look into it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here's the update. It turns out I was right with my expectation that it should take about half an hour to test. I was willing to pay for one hour of labor to diagnose it and get an estimate. They were cagey about the EGR code and reconfirmed the engine light must be on for them to read the code and they said it might not be there in which case I'd be on the hook for $150 for the scan. I told them to only scan it if the engine light came on for them.

So they pressure tested it and also said the engine light came on resulting in the EGR code coming up for them. So they said the leak was from the EGR cooler and will fix it under warranty. Great news. At first, they were a bit hesitant and I got the impression that they weren't 100% sure it was leaking from the EGR cooler but with the EGR code they are able to fix it under warranty. I'm also going to see if they're willing to replace the belt as initially, they said coolant was getting on it. That should also be covered by the warranty.

They also found an oil leak at the fuel filter housing which seemed a bit odd to me but the liquid under the car seems like it might be oil though I never had to top it off, nor did I get a warning for low level. I had them change the fuel filter with a recent oil change. I'm waiting for parts and should have it fixed by next week.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here's the "process" that my local "Dis-service Department" used for coolant loss:

A) Customer states that " INSERT CUSTOMER STATED PROBLEM HERE"
B) Dis-Service department, finds nothing wrong (?), charges a labor fee. (aka - free wallet dipping)
C) One month later, Customer Returns with SAME complaint. Dis-Service Department: "FINE -We'll look deeper" (WTF did they do the first time!?!?!?!)
D) Finds "A" problem, creates cost estimate, tries to get signature for repair.
E) Customer says "WHOA- Under warranty"........Dis-Service department: Evades like a slimy snake trying to undo what they just said.
F) Finally, agrees to repair, 2+ week wait, tries to evade loaner requirements........
G) Repair finally proceeds, dis-service department : " Hey, we can pad this bill by asking for unwarrantable labor while we have it apart". Customer understands their behavior, and declines unnecessary work.
H) Customer receives car finally... Begins losing coolant AGAIN later that year WTF!?!?!?!?
I) Takes car back refer to A)
J) Dis-service passes problem to a roaming wandering vagabond VW service expert. Expert removes nose pulley, finds water pump is obviously leaking, and the belt and engine dust shield are covered in oily coolant slime. 3 weeks later water pump is replaced, problem disappears, and has not returned since.
K) Customer hates them even more...............Vows to NEVER purchase another VAG product.

WELL DONE VW !!!!
I don't know if VW USA is stricter but my experience is that the dealers are usually happy to help out and fix things under warranty if they can. From what I understand they get less for labor but it beats nothing if I take it to an independent mechanic. I was actually going to say something to hint at that when I asked them if they'd advocate for me to get it done under warranty but decided against it which turned out to be the right call. I think they can put 2 and 2 together from last time when they quoted me on brakes and they didn't get the job.

I think it's sad when people with poor dealer experience are turned away from an otherwise great vehicle. My allroad was a similar situation. Doug Demuro had a video where he said the alroad was the worst car ever made. He completely missed the mark with that video. It was one of the greatest cars ever made, the problem was it was the first generation with lots of teething problems and expensive repairs. But when it worked it was three cars in one: a sports car in the lowest setting, a nice family wagon in normal height, and a capable offroad vehicle in the higher settings. Owners were very divided over it. Many thought like me that it was the best family vehicle without going with an SUV while others who couldn't afford the expensive maintenance were cursing it. But the consensus was that we couldn't come up with a replacement vehicle that would do everything and as well as the alroad did. To this day there isn't an equivalent because the new version doesn't have the adjustable suspension.

The Treg is the closest thing now with the diesel engine. Despite the size of the SUV it's more fuel efficient than my alroad was.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I don't know if VW USA is stricter but my experience is that the dealers are usually happy to help out and fix things under warranty if they can. From what I understand they get less for labor but it beats nothing if I take it to an independent mechanic. I was actually going to say something to hint at that when I asked them if they'd advocate for me to get it done under warranty but decided against it which turned out to be the right call. I think they can put 2 and 2 together from last time when they quoted me on brakes and they didn't get the job.

I think it's sad when people with poor dealer experience are turned away from an otherwise great vehicle. My allroad was a similar situation. Doug Demuro had a video where he said the alroad was the worst car ever made. He completely missed the mark with that video. It was one of the greatest cars ever made, the problem was it was the first generation with lots of teething problems and expensive repairs. But when it worked it was three cars in one: a sports car in the lowest setting, a nice family wagon in normal height, and a capable offroad vehicle in the higher settings. Owners were very divided over it. Many thought like me that it was the best family vehicle without going with an SUV while others who couldn't afford the expensive maintenance were cursing it. But the consensus was that we couldn't come up with a replacement vehicle that would do everything and as well as the alroad did. To this day there isn't an equivalent because the new version doesn't have the adjustable suspension.

The Treg is the closest thing now with the diesel engine. Despite the size of the SUV it's more fuel efficient than my alroad was.
Warranty work is guaranteed, easy income for dealerships. They're mostly foolish to NOT take warranty repairs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Warranty work is guaranteed, easy income for dealerships. They're mostly foolish to NOT take warranty repairs.
What I meant was that they seem to deny warranty claims in order to charge people directly at a higher price. I'm sure they're happy to do the work. I noticed that in my area they try to help get it done under warranty so that they get the job in the first place as otherwise, we take our business elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Ahh. I could see that happening. Thankfully my dealer is phenomenal and I don't have this issue

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So I'm picking up the car today. In the end, they said the EGR cooler wasn't leaking they just replaced some valve, I think he called it a diverter valve. I'm going to double check with them but I have this feeling that this valve was already replaced once shortly after I got the car. That means it lasted less than three years. More like two.

They also gave me an estimate for the oil leaks, for which I'm going to start a new thread. In a nutshell, they are quoting just under $5000 including tax.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
What exactly did they say is leaking

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been seeing some intermittent coolant loss on my 2011 Treg and the dealer told me it was my water pump. They said the coolant gets caught by the plastic shield and comes out while driving vs me seeing it on the garage floor. I am planning on doing it myself but still need to get the water pump.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I have been seeing some intermittent coolant loss on my 2011 Treg and the dealer told me it was my water pump. They said the coolant gets caught by the plastic shield and comes out while driving vs me seeing it on the garage floor. I am planning on doing it myself but still need to get the water pump.
Find another dealer. Yes, over time a car will lose fractions of coolant, but it should never be a jarring moment in time where one minute you're at level and the next moment you're low.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Find another dealer. Yes, over time a car will lose fractions of coolant, but it should never be a jarring moment in time where one minute you're at level and the next moment you're low.
Agreed. I think they just meant it was dripping slowly and may not be visible on the floor right away. This dealer wanted $750 and needed the car for 2 days to change the water pump. This seemed odd after I watched a video on how to do it. I called a second dealer and got a quote for $650 so the price was not much different but they said it would be a 1/2 day job.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Make sure warranty doesn't cover it, first.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Make sure warranty doesn't cover it, first.
Exactly. That "(2) any component which can reasonably be impacted by effects of the emissions repair." clause is a great wild card. Remember if you don't ask, the answer is always no. As a matter of fact, don't ask, just state that it's covered. Let them argue the opposite.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
945 Posts
Agreed. I think they just meant it was dripping slowly and may not be visible on the floor right away. This dealer wanted $750 and needed the car for 2 days to change the water pump. This seemed odd after I watched a video on how to do it. I called a second dealer and got a quote for $650 so the price was not much different but they said it would be a 1/2 day job.
It took my local VW service department under 6 hours to replace my water pump (under warranty). The issue is they need it the night before so it's dead cold when they start work on it. I dropped it off the night before, and it was ready around noon the following day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It took my local VW service department under 6 hours to replace my water pump (under warranty). The issue is they need it the night before so it's dead cold when they start work on it. I dropped it off the night before, and it was ready around noon the following day.
That actually makes sense. He said the Treg is not something they see alot of so my head went elsewhere. If I can save a few hundred, I will typically do things myself. Japanese cars are more my speed though and I more unfamiliar with German vehicles. Ever since I had to have my BMW 'programmed' for a new battery! That car did not last very long so I still don't know if that was BS.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts