Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess I'm going to dump my 2004 V6. I've had it just over a year and I can't keep up with all the repairs. I think the tranny is going. It will not upshift in "D" it does in "S". Then after you've gotten going and you move it to "D" it will cruise along ok and even down shift if you accelerate but then won't shift back up. Also makes a multi-tone howling sound up to 40 MPH then it just goes away. once you've driven a bit and it's warmed up, it doesn't do it. On cold mornings it's quite loud. I thought it was the tranny or maybe front propshaft. So I went to the stealership for a diagnosis.($79) they said the tranny was fine but that my front right wheel bearing is bad and that it's $1200 to get it fixed so I had them flush and fill the tranny anyway. I took their diagnosis results and ran with it. I bought the bearing and the tools I didn't have and went home to replace the wheel bearing. Even after buying the tools on top of parts I was still half of what the stealership wanted. So I get the hub cap off and the axle nut is corroded and seized like a MF. the shoulders of the nut just crumbled the first try. So I air chiseled it off. Needless to say there was thread damage to the axle so then I had to get one of those. Put it back together and the howl is still there. and and shortly after it started that upshifting issue. So I have to always have the shifter in "S".

Any ideas? Could low fluid cause this?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
OBD11 is a piece of crap compared to vagcom.

It sounds like there are a whole host of issues with this vehicle that went untreated for many years and now you are trying to juggle all of them at once

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage

·
Registered
2016 TDI Lux, white with beige interior
182 Posts
Well i don't have a vcds. I do have an ODBEleven. Can that get the same info?
If you have OBDEleven, run it and see what appears. Please tell us what you see. Then clear the codes, drive it for a while and do another scan and tell us what you see. We can't help much without information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts