Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to start another "should I buy a touareg" thread.

I'm looking at at a 2008 touareg v8. Fully loaded with air suspension and 4 zone climate. The truck itself is in very good shape considering the age. I don't have any service history of it other than a clean carfax with some service notes on it. It's got 54k miles on it.

I took it for a test drive today and have a few questions:

In sport mode the downshifts felt pronounced. If I let off the gas and allowed it to coast to a stop it seemed to work through each gear as I slowed down. The downshifts were noticeable. Is this just a function of the sport setting?

The battery was completely toast when I got to the dealer. I'm hoping it's just the original battery and not something else. I've read some stuff on here regarding the central lock mechanism being a battery drain. Is that correct? If so, how quickly does that usually drain the battery?

What's the longevity of the air suspension look like? I had a friend with an allroad and he replaced the air suspension a couple times. Does the touareg have the same track record?

One last thing, somewhat related...I want to get the route 66 warranty along with it through my credit union. I've searched for some feedback on this site and found a bit but was wondering if anyone else had any insight into it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Answer to two of your questions are: Yes sport holds the gears longer on take off and runs through them on down shifts. The exact manner of the transmission adapts to your driving, so it will relearn your driving manner with a throttle reset, but sport will always be more aggressive. I never drive in sport...it is a unless setting to me.

Battery drain and dealers is pretty common because they shuffle cars around and they sit for long periods of time and are not started (at some dealers) on a regular basis. BUT, I would replace the battery anyways because it may have not been done recently (you likely won't know so just do it).

I don't have air and have a sour opinion of non factory or non CPO warranties...so I will let someone else discuss that.

Obviously read up on the buying a Touareg guide on here and look at the trouble areas and know what you are in for.

Good luck! Sounds like a special one based on miles, engine, and air!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The buying guide link is in my signature below. Do read it.

The air suspension is pretty good. Yes you can get faults but most folk are pleased their car has it and lots look for it when buying but are disappointed when they can't find a car with air as they can be rare!

A dead battery causes all sorts of fault codes. You should get a new one fitted, then get the codes cleared. Then reset the gearbox [see below], take it for a another drive, then rescan the car to see what codes, if any, have returned.

The gearbox learns how you drive. To reset it, turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car. Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full TEN seconds. Release it. Turn the ignition off and remove the key.

Key item on an 11 year old early V8? The timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat MUST be replaced every 80,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. If the belt breaks the engine is toast.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think the OP was looking at on 08, which would not have a timing belt. When I purchased my 08' with 70k I did all fluids. Still need to do ATF...got to very soon. Otherwise the car was CPO and everything else was done already...including brake flush.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Quite right - misread the 08 for 04 for some reason!

·
Registered
734 Posts
What's the longevity of the air suspension look like? I had a friend with an allroad and he replaced the air suspension a couple times. Does the touareg have the same track record?
I live in both worlds. :)

From my time spent on the forums, it seems that the allroad air suspension is a lot more fragile than the Touareg air setup. And with the allroad, mostly it's the airbags themselves that go rather than the valves or the compressor.

I haven't heard much about people having issues with the Touareg air suspension. (knocking on wood)

I'm installing a set of Cayenne yellow dot sway bars today!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Have the dealer put in a new battery. Then have it checked out by a VW familiar mechanic. Ask for a VCDS autoscan.

Air suspension is nice. Mine blew out a line right after purchase, requiring a compressor replacement. My independent mech. sourced a used one for me. But I don't think it's really something to worry about unless you're traveling for weeks in the backcountry/outback.

Plan on an oil change and transmission fluid change upon purchase. Even if the dealer changed the engine oil, you never know what they put in it, unless it's a VW dealer and they can show that they put the correct synthetic in. IIRC, transmission filter/fluid change is due at 60K.

I an not a fan of extended warranties. They usually cap the labor rate at something stupid like less than $50 USD/hour. Most shops charge $75 or more. And guess who pays the difference?

The hoops that the mechanics have to go through to get the repair approved are so annoying that many places do not like to do aftermarket warranty work. Save your $3,000 and use it for repairs down the line.

Does this one have the rear locking diff, too? Those are hard to find. I had to search the country to find one ~800 miles away.

If everything else checks out, grab it. 54K is nice low mileage! (90K miles less than mine when I bought it!)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Air suspension is nice. Mine blew out a line right after purchase, requiring a compressor replacement. My independent mech. sourced a used one for me.

But I don't think it's really something to worry about unless you're traveling for weeks in the backcountry/outback.
I'd hazard a guess that the blown line caused the compressor to work overtime, which then caused the compressor to die.

With regard to the outback -- I offroaded a '95 Range Rover County for a while, and lived in fear of losing the air suspension offroad. That system was a bit more fragile than the German setups, and they would go occasionally. I lost a valve on mine, once, and had to drive the truck to my mechanic on the bumpstops. It would have been impossible to drive that truck out of the woods in that condition.

The air suspensions are great when the work, and on the Touareg, they really do mostly work. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

I'll have it scanned after they replace the battery and let you guys know if any codes are stored.

I'm not too concerned regarding the air suspension having been abused. The truck has summer tires on it and looks like it's never even sniffed a dirt road so I assume it's lived it's life on the highway.

It doesn't look like it has the rear diff lock....so I guess it' not fully loaded.

One last thing...what's the consensus on the engine/transmission reliability? I've read a lot of issues regarding carbon buildup. Has anyone here experienced that yet?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you're not 4 wheeling (boulders, getting crossed up, etc. Not dirt roads and fire routes! LOL!), you'll probably never miss the rear locker. IIRC, these have "electronic" differential locks anyway.

But you can use that as a negotiating point for price if you need to.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I've read a lot of issues regarding carbon buildup. Has anyone here experienced that yet?
By design, all FSI motors suffer from carbon buildup on valves and ports. Top tier fuel supposedly lessens the effect but eventually a decarb is needed. I had it done on my Audi at 50,000 miles and the build up, although not too significant, was definitely there.

That being said, the Audi 4.2 FSI is a very good motor I would not hesitate to purchase a 2008 V8 at all. I am a little biased because I own one myself.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have seen a thread on here about carbon build up (you will have to search). I have not had any issues with mine, but have never had it apart to see for sure. I believe running the best fuel you can (premium) mitigates this a bit...so I would not recommend regular or plus.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Always run a gasser Touareg on the highest octane fuel you can buy.

Not only does it go better, especially when you wake it up with the Tiptronic, the improved mpg pays for itself.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
High octane gasoline is a given. It's says so on the gas cap. Top tier gasoline is what I was referring to. Buying from a discount gas station is not a good idea for several reasons including carbon buildup.

Reactions: lml999

·
Registered
734 Posts
High octane gasoline is a given. It's says so on the gas cap. Top tier gasoline is what I was referring to. Buying from a discount gas station is not a good idea for several reasons including carbon buildup.
And the same is true for diesel -- top tier only, from high volume station.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts