Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at 2012 touareg 2 to use to pull a trailer weighing about 4500 lbs. I thought it would be a good choice until I checked Consumer Reports and found that it had the worse rating for the fuel system. Can someone tell me what the issue is?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Was the Consumer Reports rating for the 3.0 TDI? There was a rash of reports of high pressure fuel pumps (HPFP) grenading and taking out the entire fuel system. There was a VW service bulletin to install "Diesel Info Kits" which were basically extra stickers by the light switch and in the filler flap reminding people to use only ultra low sulfur diesel.

The general consensus for the cause seems to point to a combination of poor pump design (for the earlier revisions of the pump) and user error (putting gas or low-sulfur diesel in the tank), with the former being less often the cause now, since the pumps were revised multiple times.

Don't skimp on fuel filter changes. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
499 Posts
To piggyback on what hydro locked said, VW also extended the warranty on the hpfp to 120k instead of the standard 100k powertrain warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts