Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, here are some pictures of my whip...

I love my Audi, but I need a rig
that I can also go serious off-roading
at ranches (live in TX), as well as be
used for hunting. I had a lifted Z-71
pickup before my Audi, and now I want
the best of both worlds. Here it goes
(please don't flame because for me this
is a very practical question). I want to
know if anybody makes a lift kit or has
the capabilty of making a lift kit for the
touareg. I'd like a 4-6 inch lift, enough to
fit some 285 (32ish) BFG's.

I hope this isn't too much of a white-trashy
question for you guys, and I'm sure only a
minority of the members here do serious
off-roading on a regular basis, but I just want
a little extra clearance, and a little more rubber
under the 'reg. In Texas, a little height wouldn't
hurt either :mrgreen:

BTW ride quality isn't an issue for me. I know kits
are made for rovers, I'm just wondering if there is
anything comparable for the 'reg. Anybody else
interested in this idea? Any shops you guys know of
that could pull a job like this off? I really would prefer
this idea to a h2.

Thanks guys,
Marc

BTW-sorry about the size of the pics :crazy:

· Registered
153 Posts
the touareg can handle it. but the fact is, is that the touareg doesnt have a very good articulation with air or not. and its a heavy truck. its a mix of onroad and off. not all offroad. you should keep the audi and buy a 99-2000 discovery and mod it out.

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
The lack of solid axle's will, as Mech888 said, severly limit your travel. Also, I don't know if you can easily add a winch to the front either.

I know of no lift kit for the Touareg. I suppose it would be possible, but you would have to fab all of the parts. If you decide to do this, definitely start with a steel suspension vehicle.

Even if you can accomplish all of that, you might run into serious issues with the computer traction control systems and the large tires.

If you want a vehicle to mod, I don't think that the Touareg is the vehicle for you.

· Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like an excellent project. There would be a few different ways to go about it.... they all depend on how far you want to go/spend. It's just a matter of time before something crazy is built with a T-Reg chassis.

· Registered
2 Posts
Volkswagen offers a 5.5 inch lift kit for the Touareg.

It called the four corner air ride suspension ranging from 6.3 inches to 11.8 inches of lift. :mrgreen:

Not much room 33's but its pretty cool. Try doing that with a Z71, speaking as a former 02 Z71 owner.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
s37678s said:
Volkswagen offers a 5.5 inch lift kit for the Touareg.

It called the four corner air ride suspension ranging from 6.3 inches to 11.8 inches of lift. :mrgreen:

Not much room 33's but its pretty cool. Try doing that with a Z71, speaking as a former 02 Z71 owner.
You actually have a point there. He could get an air suspension Touareg and get set of 17" wheels with agressive tires for when he knows he is going to go offroad in real rough stuff.

Otherwise drive around on 18" wheels with standard tires the rest of the time. They will get him by in many offroad situations too.

· Registered
110 Posts
Take a look at how VW lifted the Golf Syncro to produce the Country model. It is very similar to how many trucks with independent suspensions are lifted these days. Dropped subframes, longer A-arms... there is a whole slew of ideas/products that could be adpated to the Treg.

I'd love to go nuts on my wife's new V8, but we purchased it to carry her and the baby... and although she would allow me to modify it beyond belief (just like most of my other vehicles), it would become impractical for her needs. Besides, I already have a dedicated offroad rig.

My brainstorm for a killer Treg - Start with the V10 diesel. Why? Mega Torque to turn the larger tires, plus it has the 3.27 diff ratios. Swap in the 4.56 diffs from a gasser to bring the gear ratio back into line for use with a larger tire. I think a 275/60R17 "might"????? sneak in there... most measure about 31.5 and are considered a 32" tire. Lift the truck a good 4" beyond the air suspension's normal range and a nice fat 33" tire would fit. The air suspension is neat, but the coil spring stuff probably has a better chance at gaining some articulation. Really extreme would be solid axles and 4 link... I could go on, but this subject probaby has very limited interest.

· Registered
121 Posts
Okay, your photos made me regret selling my hot-rod A4! That said, I agree that this a cool concept.

You may want to contact Robbie Gordon Motorsports. Rumor is Robbie will be running a T-reg ini teh Paris to Dakar Rally this year. While it is a purpose built VW race truck, his shop may be able to send you in the right direction. RGM has extensive experieince in off-road vehicles. I have one of his lifts on my 3/4 ton Yukon XL with his signature 17 inch wheels.

Check out the banner on the top of this site.

http://www.robbygordon.com/artman/publish/index.shtml

Good luck. Dive in and keep us posted!

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,489 Posts
I have taken mine out for 4wd many times now. mud, rocks, steep climbs descents..done it all. And let me tell you that this Egg is unstoppable! I do have rear diff locks which are handy at times. The only issue with the steel suspension is ground clearance so I am extra careful when on rocks. If i had deeper pockets I would go for the air suspension on a v10 and maybe get bigger tyres with smaller wheel size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.