Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could I please get some purchasing advice .

I am trying to determine wether to purchase a new or used touareg.

I have read bits and pieces about steering problems on 2012 models that are mostly unresolved for customers.

which years should I avoid due to issues such as steering wheel vibrations etc?

what should I watch out for when buying a used touareg?

what advantages are there in buying a new touareg over used?

Are there pitfalls in purchasing a demonstrator?

should I get the extended warranty ?

Financially, buying a touareg is a large commitment for me personally. will I be getting a reliable vehicle that will be relatively maintenance free for many years?

once out of warranty can any mechanic work on a touareg?

thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
could I please get some purchasing advice .

I am trying to determine wether to purchase a new or used touareg.

I have read bits and pieces about steering problems on 2012 models that are mostly unresolved for customers.

There's more than bits and pieces - search for T3 [current model] steering wheel shakes.

which years should I avoid due to issues such as steering wheel vibrations etc?

2015 model year

what should I watch out for when buying a used touareg?

This mostly refers to T1 and T2 models.

what advantages are there in buying a new touareg over used?

You driving your car from new.

Are there pitfalls in purchasing a demonstrator?

Every man and his dog has had a go in it.

should I get the extended warranty ?

You won't need one if you buy new, you should consider it if you don't.

Financially, buying a touareg is a large commitment for me personally. will I be getting a reliable vehicle that will be relatively maintenance free for many years?

No one can possibly tell you how reliable your car will be. VW, like most other car makers, is run now by accountants and not engineers. It is no longer a premium engineering brand. You buy a Toyota for that.

Touaregs can be very expensive to fix. I would not recommend one to anybody on a tight budget. You pay to play.

once out of warranty can any mechanic work on a touareg?

For quite a few things yes, it's only a car . . . but then again - no, not when you need the special tools some operations require as I have just found out.

But then again, I wouldn't run any Touareg without a warranty.

thanks
Think with your head, not your heart.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Surely the decision is yours and no one knows better than you…
Here are a few personal thoughts which might help you make your own mind.

If I cannot afford buying brand new car of a particular model, I will NOT be buying such car – neither new nor used. Simple logic behind this behavior is that maintaining used car might and almost always will be more expensive than of a new one. If I can afford buying brand new car – than I’ll look for the best deal available. Sometimes you can get very well maintained vehicle with low miles at a very affordable price. Most likely I’ll be buying new, but it is my personal preference and has nothing to do with practicality.

Famous Touareg 2011+ wheel vibrations problem is easily detectable – make sure that tire pressure is accurate (one of the vehicle menu items), then take it for a highway test drive and bring it to 70MPH-75MPH. If you feel/see anything that is not normal - don’t buy it until it is fixed. There was a CT thread quite a while ago on this subject where one of the CT members posted very descriptive video of the steering wheel shake. Try running forum search.

When buying used car full maintenance records are helpful. CARFAX is easy to obtain from a seller if there is nothing to hide.

I am always buying extended warranty right up front if I plan driving it 2-3 years past manufacturer warranty expiration.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
When buying used car full maintenance records are helpful. CARFAX is easy to obtain from a seller if there is nothing to hide.
I always like to add that if you buy used, try to locate the dealership(s) where the car has been serviced at (one or more depending on the habits of past owners). VW customer service can tell you where the car originated from, and then by process of deduction from the carfax, you can pinpoint the dealerships in a region. Calling around can help to seal the locations. It's a bit of homework, but worth it if you're serious about the car and REALLY want to know it's service history. The dealers will have all records of service that can be printed for you at request if you can show you have interest in that particular car. I did this when I got my vehicle, and it has helped tremendously to see what maintenance was and was not done on the car.

Good luck. And listen to Nooby et al.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts