Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Im new to the Touareg Market and doing lots of online research prior to purchasing. Im keen on the 180KW twin diesel, from a budget point of view I max out round 45ish, Not many of the older / and newer for that matter TDI's seem to have the adjustable air suspension, How neccesary is that, I think i can ,ive without low range, Im not going to do extreme four wheel driving but some sand/beach driving and camping offroad ish! not extreme rock hopping. Hoping for some thoughts and advise
Regards
Bruce

·
Registered
2006 V10 TDI
56 Posts
I think it's worth it, but not a necessity. For me, though, it's the combination of all the over-engineered and not-really-necessary-but-cool features that drew me to the Touareg in the first place.

Keep in mind the air suspension has some uses besides off-roading. Loading Level drops the car all the way down for loading cargo in the back or on the roof. When you put the suspension in Sport mode it also lowers the car for more... sporty... handling.

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
966 Posts
I have air Suspension. It feels great, but I do worry for the day that it decides to lose it. If you're not getting warranty that will cover the suspension I would say no.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You shouldn’t have any trouble finding a 7P with air suspension. I only know about 2016 when all the V6 model (ie 180kw) had it. The 150kw entry models (still a V6 BTW, but badged ‘150’) had steel suspension. Air suspension has several advantages, but the main 2 for us are:
1. I wouldn’t be without it (or 180kw/550Nm) for towing something heavy. Our van is about 3.25T
2. It’s great for the beach to raise the body for clearance. In ‘extreme off-road’ setting we have about the same clearance as my friend’s Prado with 4” lift😳. We also took it down an rutted off-road track with a camper trailer and friends were amazed with the clearance and capability.
It’s also good for load height, getting our aging parents in, hitching & unhitching a caravan, etc.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
if you are towing air is self leveling so worth it

You will definately notice the smooth "air" ride ... nice

if you go a larger size tyre going over small bumps like those little round abouts that you can drive over get swollowed up real good

Hit an unexpected puddle more than a certain depth you want air unless you can wade through with a tarp

Reactions: brewski

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's a mixed bag :). I moved from an Audi Allroad (2nd gen "better" airbags) to the Touareg mostly because I was sick of worrying about them failing. I'd had one fail in the middle of NSW on my way back to Melbourne on Boxing Day. My RACV membership paid for several years of itself that day, but it took a couple of weeks to solve.
I then had the same one fail again a year later, and then both fronts periodically when I would hit a bump in a certain way.

But... the towing attitude of the wagon with airbags vs the SUV without is certainly a bit better. It would obviously depend on ball weight, but I did notice the difference in sitting flat vs dropping the tail a bit.

So, would you rather trust in near 100% reliable steel springs, or the better, but less reliable air spring? I chose steel.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
They both have merits

NickyT sings the praise of simple airbags and design and purpose. I sorta agree its just that we dont have savvy mechanics that know this stuff.

I was lucky enough just recently to find a Porsche mech with 25+ years experience on these vehicles which is half the trouble. No one wants to touch it ... why ?? knowledge :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Once understood all good. Springs old school .. do have advantanges (sort of) but at the end of the day depends on many factors. Where you are, how you use it, how far you are away, Terrian probs, road probs ...... etc etc etc .... Personal choice both with merits and ......

All i can say is i have had both systems - springs gave me peice of mind but crap in some ways which was annoying.

Bags get them good understand the system and love a little bit more in everything we do. Just get a decent mech. Most Prosche guys know stuff !!!

Personal choice !!

Reactions: brewski
1 - 10 of 10 Posts