Club Touareg Forum banner

Looking for a long lasting All weather tire for '07 TDI...Nitto Grappler G2? Nokian?

817 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TurboABA 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Yes it is another what tire thread. I have a '07 V10 TDI that is need of new tires. My previous set were the Perelli Scorpion Verdes, and they got a little less than 1/3 or what they should 20K/65K. I have seen around that the Pirellis seem to have a low mileage history with these guys, so I would like to get something that lasts a bit longer.

Ideally, I would like something that I will actually be able to get 40-60K out of. I am also looking for something to keep year round...yes I know having 2 sets is better. I live in Colorado and go skiing/snowboarding in the winter, and we do the occasional camping during the summer. I try to keep the pressure at about 40 PSI all around. I also was wanting something that can handle a bit of off-road if needed. I am currently looking at the Nitto Grappler G2 and the Nokian WRG3. However, I am open to any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I too am looking and I might say, too regularly, at all season replacements for the Scorpion Verdes on my OE 19"s. They are fine for the first 15k miles and then they sh!t the bed... I can hardly hear myself think behind the wheel due to the intense low frequency drone. I have accepted that this tank devours tires but I would at least expect to get a little more than half of what they claim for tred life.

I run dedicated Winter setup on 17" rims between December and March. So, I've been looking for an affordable setup on my 19"s that will get me between 20 and 30k without the noise after 15k and perform under normal driving conditions for an SUV in the Northeast US.

I found the Vredestein Quatrac 5. They are reasonably priced and are getting decent reviews on the major tire outlet websites for Outbacks and other lighter AWDs but nothing regarding life span and the noise. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with these on our Tregs? Please advise...

Danke

#3 ·
You guys want too much from ONE tire.
You can't have comfort, quiet, long lasting wear, grip, winter traction, offroad traction, and summer traction all in the same tire!

You want your tires to last longer? Run them at 50psi like I do and give up your marshmallow ride.
You want winter traction, run dedicated soft winters that wear out on dry pavement......
You want a quiet ride, run a LRR tire that's designed for that purpose
You want to go offroading, throw all of the above in the garbage and get an aggressive tread tire and run low pressures to get a larger footprint

There's a reason why we have different kinds of tires (AT, LRR, Winter, Summer, All-seasons, race, etc.)

Decide on the most important aspect if you're only going to have one set of tires, and then sacrifice the rest of the criteria.

#4 ·
I will take that as a "no, I haven't any experience with the Vredesteins…"
Because I am not looking for the panacea of tires that suits my every need under each condition. In fact I understand that different tires manage specific use cases just as I've described in my setups. Im just wondering if there is a possibility of another choice, in this case Vredestein, for general operational use of this very capable SUV, that is better than the one I and many others described in the Scorpions. This isn't my first rodeo for outfitting a heavy 4x4s or sports cars with appropriate rubber. It is however the first time I've noticed such a dramatic difference in treadwear and road noise for what seems to be a great all season tire early in it's expected lifespan. Perhaps this is just the way its gonna be for a heavy vehicle with 19"rims equipped with wide and low profile tires. In that case I still want to make the smartest choice if I'm replacing them every year.

#5 ·
I will take that as a "no, I haven't any experience with the Vredesteins…"
Not once did I mention your choice of SOFT (IMO) tire in my post.
I want longevity out of my 3 season tires (so I will replace my OEM Verdes with Verdes PLUS in the near future)
I would be crazy to put a tire rated at 400 tredwear on a vehicle this heavy that I sometimes tow with.... I'd kill a set each year too.
It is more economical for me to spend the money up front and get 3-4 years out of a set than to replace them yearly like you do.

My OEM Verdes are rated at 50% more tredwear than your Vredesteins.... that's a significant difference to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.