Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is wanting to get rid of her Golf and step up to something a little larger. I've been doing some research and the Touareg's look really nice. I've found a view 2010 models with the V6 gas motors. When looking at used Touaregs, is there anything that typically starts to wear out/go bad on that you really need to look at when deciding on which used one to buy? The two I have seen in my area both have around 70,000-80,000 miles on them. It's a little higher than I would like, but I haven't found any newer ones with less miles that are still in our budget.

Any info would be great!! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
My wife is wanting to get rid of her Golf and step up to something a little larger. I've been doing some research and the Touareg's look really nice. I've found a view 2010 models with the V6 gas motors. When looking at used Touaregs, is there anything that typically starts to wear out/go bad on that you really need to look at when deciding on which used one to buy? The two I have seen in my area both have around 70,000-80,000 miles on them. It's a little higher than I would like, but I haven't found any newer ones with less miles that are still in our budget.

Any info would be great!! Thanks! :D
From what I've read, the center bearing for the drive shaft tends to go out. A bad one is indicated by vibrations as speed increases. May want to hop under the vehicle and take a look at it. Other than that, common things like brakes and scheduled maintenance.

To chrisw's comment, yes, not the greatest gas mileage. But probably considerably cheaper than a TDI. TDIs aren't for everybody.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have a 2007 V6 (same motor). You will get between 13.5 and 14.5 in mixed city Hwy and up to 20 on just freeway, but generally 18 (if you really nurse it you can get 20). Fairly bullet proof motor, the V(R)6 is a wonderful motor very easy to drive (where the V8 always wants to go go go). Note the 3.6 isn't slow, if you flog it it will move...I have broken all four loose in mine on dry pavement...something my V8 has not done yet.

I also own a 2008 V8. It gets 12-13.5 city and can get close to 20 Hwy. Both motors are good, the V8 is more unique in FSI generation due to only being made in 2007 to early 2009 in the US Touaregs.

Problem areas are well documented on here (maybe Nooby will come along with his awesome swiss army signature).

Outside of the general problem areas you will expect to pay much more for tires, brakes, and oil changes (versus the golf.)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Here I am! Do take time to read the buying a used Touareg thread [link in my Swiss Army knife signature!!] and seriously consider getting a good warranty going on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far the V6 vs V8 gas motors go.......besides the actual motor, is the rest of the drive train the same? And you guys are saying that highway MPG is about the same on both of those motors? Most of the miles we will be putting on it will be on the highway.

Thanks again for the info!! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2010 v6 with 63,000 miles

I just had the valve body replaced in the trans under warranty. the PCV valve needed to be replaced which is integrated in to the valve cover. replaced all four disks and pads. had all fluids replaced (engine oil, PS, brake fluid, coolant, and diff) and whatever else they do for the 60,000 mile service. in all cost about 2500 and my dealership. *edit* forgot to mention the plugs and coils and the MAF were all replaced too.

The sunroof leaked once, but hasnt since... not sure why

the Homelink buttons works 90% of the time, which basically makes them useless. its that one time in ten, i have a line of cars behind me getting through my complexes gate and the damn button isnt working.

on average i get about 18mpg's in mostly city driving

for the most part is been a great truck in the 10 months i have owned it so far. my contempt for it comes from having to sell my 08 M5 manual trans to get something more practical...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Correct. Highway and even city mileage are pretty close (both are terrible). The V(R) is easier to get the max mileage, while the V8 is more motivated to accelerate faster and thereby is harder to get max mileage (lead foot or not). The V8 will casually accelerate where you will be well into the throttle on the V(R). I know this from following my wife home in the V(R) (she generally drives the V8 and is a slow driver).
Finding a V8 will be harder and it will cost more (if you go FSI, which I would), do to the limited number of years produced.
Yes, motor aside the rest is the same. But the V(R)6 is slightly less weight (by about 300 lbs or so) and consequently gets slightly better mileage and is slightly better off road.
Drive both before you buy. Very different experiences.

I should add that I live in a an area with bad traffic. It takes me an hour to an 1.5 hours to go approximately 20 miles one way to work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would any of you guys have reservations about buying a 2010 or 2011 Touraeg with 70-80,000 miles on it that was in good condition, and well taken car of with good maintenance records? I haven't bought a used car in a long time......but I start getting nervous when the miles start getting up over 40,000 .......should I be worried about a used Touareg with that many miles on it? I turn my own wrenches on my vehicles.....I just don't want to get something that is going to start falling apart as soon as I get it.

My wifes 04' Golf has been pretty trouble free...and it's got around 150,000 miles on it.....are the Touaregs as reliable?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Some are, some aren't: no one can give you the kind of reassurance you seem to be seeking as we know the Touareg is not bulletproof.

If a Touareg goes wrong they can be expensive to fix which is why, even if you can do some repairs yourself, I recommend looking at a good warranty.

Some dealers don't sell many in comparison to the smaller VWs that they sell in volume so service and repair knowledge can be patchy.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I really like my V8 FSI engine. I think it's the right size for this size of a vehicle. I have a VR6 in my Eos and it moves that car around great. I just can't see it in a 2.5 ton vehicle and still being adequate.

And as mentioned, the gas mileage "penalty" for the V8 isn't much compared to the VR6. If you can swing it, I'd suggest getting a V8.

If you need to have a mechanic do all your repair/maintenance work, find an independent shop that is familiar with VWs. The dealer can get VERY $$$.

Have the vehicle checked out by a VW mechanic (dealer or independent) before buying. They will (hopefully) be unbiased and can get it up on a lift to spot things that you can't see in a parking lot.

Also, after you buy, strongly consider getting VCDS (Ross-Tech: Home) for diagnosis, troubleshooting and customization of your vehicle. A little pricey, but it can pull the trouble codes that the dealer will charge you lots of $$ for. Yes, it's different than a regular OBD-II scanner.

Oh, and review noobytoogy's posts. It says "Touareg Guru" for a reason. ;- )

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Would any of you guys have reservations about buying a 2010 or 2011 Touraeg with 70-80,000 miles on it that was in good condition, and well taken car of with good maintenance records? I haven't bought a used car in a long time......but I start getting nervous when the miles start getting up over 40,000 .......should I be worried about a used Touareg with that many miles on it? I turn my own wrenches on my vehicles.....I just don't want to get something that is going to start falling apart as soon as I get it.

My wifes 04' Golf has been pretty trouble free...and it's got around 150,000 miles on it.....are the Touaregs as reliable?
The 2011 is a newer generation that has a different appearance and less weight due to four wheel drive system being somewhat watered down...not that it isn't still very offroad capable.

Because it weighs less, the 2011 might get slightly better mileage??

I have no issues purchasing a Treg with 70k, the 2008 V8 I got had 70k and was CPO with 24 month bumper to bumper warranty. That said, a lot more can go on in a car's life than say purchasing one at 40k.

Take a good look at the ownership history, physical location of the Truck in the US (salt, floods...). have someone check it out. Try to buy CPO. Get a warranty on things until you have the issues figured out...

Yes, I think the Treg can be as reliable as say a Golf, but it will take more maintenance and cost more to do so...I view reliable as long lasting and not breaking down...not including maintenance. The Touareg can be very expensive if you are not a do-it yourselfer. For example, I just replaced my rear brakes for $325+/- when the dealer would charge over $700...just for the rear. I am changing my oil for $65 when the dealer wants $135. Center main bearing replacement is $1,000 + at dealer and $400 for me (using a different technique however).

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
We just crossed over 80K other than scheduled maintainance, we've good through three sets of tires, brakes at 60K, the AdBlue tank and sensor replacement at 55K (warrantee), water pump 20K (recall), and two batteries like every two years (keys were kept too close to vehicle in parking garage).

It's been bullet proof and a woot to drive. GLWS

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just picked up a 2010 V6 with 100k (KMs) on it about 3 months ago. Very solid vehicle and I am very happy with the V6 so far. I have taken it on some rough roads/trails during this year's moose hunt and it was a beast.

Definitely check the differential and HVAC system. Test all of the HVAC features diligently. Some of the issues with the HVAC require the dash to come out which gets pricey with labour. If its coming with legit service records that's a big help.

As people have said the Touareg eats tires and brakes so try to find one with newer tires and a recent brake job and some of the fluids changed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have about 2 weeks ownership of a 2013 VR6 Lux and find some of the MPG posted above surprising. On my way home from the dealership (Columbus to Pittsburgh) I nailed 25mpg using cruise @ 70mph for the bulk of the trip. So far shorter highway trips have resulted in a solid 23+ MPG and mixed driving is closer to 20 MPG. Needless to say, I've been extremely pleased so far.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have about 2 weeks ownership of a 2013 VR6 Lux and find some of the MPG posted above surprising. On my way home from the dealership (Columbus to Pittsburgh) I nailed 25mpg using cruise @ 70mph for the bulk of the trip. So far shorter highway trips have resulted in a solid 23+ MPG and mixed driving is closer to 20 MPG. Needless to say, I've been extremely pleased so far.
Nice!! I would LOVE to get 25 out of my Treg. I think the difference between my lousy mileage and your mileage is: 1) Weight (the T3 is 450 lbs lighter), and tires (I have over sized BFG All-Terrian T/A KO) - these also add an additional 15 lbs per wheel and have an aggressive tread (more friction). Also not sure if you are reading MFI or hand calculating, but I have a log of my miles and hand calculate when I refill every time. I have found the MFI to not be truthful (says I get better MPG than actual). For instance on my worst MPG trip I got 9 actual (towing) when the truck read over 12.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Keep in mind the T3 (2011+) has the 8 speed transmission, a couple hundred pounds lighter and more aerodynamic than the T2.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice!! I would LOVE to get 25 out of my Treg. I think the difference between my lousy mileage and your mileage is: 1) Weight (the T3 is 450 lbs lighter), and tires (I have over sized BFG All-Terrian T/A KO) - these also add an additional 15 lbs per wheel and have an aggressive tread (more friction). Also not sure if you are reading MFI or hand calculating, but I have a log of my miles and hand calculate when I refill every time. I have found the MFI to not be truthful (says I get better MPG than actual). For instance on my worst MPG trip I got 9 actual (towing) when the truck read over 12.

Hope this helps.
We're doing a trip back to Columbus this weekend and I plan to manually calculate the trip. Should be interesting to compare the results.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Want to buy my 2010 tdi? 68k miles. Warranty until 100k. She's in tip top shape. Was planning on keeping her for a few more years, but pm me if interested.

Either way, good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.