Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m using WDH on 2011 TDI pulling 21ft travel trailer. No problems. I’m using a Bluetooth braking control as well. It’s working great and saved a ton of $$ skipping the wired installation.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Link for your system?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I’m using a Bluetooth braking control as well. It’s working great and saved a ton of $$ skipping the wired installation.
So you installed an aftermarket tow package? Because if you already had the factory kit, the "wired" install would be a plug-and-play harness that you can make yourself for a few dollars, or that you can buy pre-made for $70 or something.

Your BT controller was probably 3x the cost of a wired controller, so I can't see how you saved anything.

·
Registered
744 Posts
So you installed an aftermarket tow package? Because if you already had the factory kit, the "wired" install would be a plug-and-play harness that you can make yourself for a few dollars, or that you can buy pre-made for $70 or something.

Your BT controller was probably 3x the cost of a wired controller, so I can't see how you saved anything.
He definitely saved money if he did the Bluetooth wireless brake controller himself, and he would have otherwise paid a garage/dealer to do a wired harness adapter install for a wired installation. Not everyone is up to doing the wired installation.

Also, it is known the not every Touareg has the trailer wiring behind the dash. Some just plain don't have the trailer connector and module.

I did the harness myself (parts were about $20 from a Porsche dealership, they had them in stock). The wiring harness connector was a bit of a pain to reach, but I did find it, and do the wiring myself. And my 2013 Touareg came with the factory hitch and module, but I had to install the $12 Pollak 11-893P RV 7-Way Socket (Oem Style)! Those cheap bastards at VW.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
He definitely saved money
Impossible. LOL

A wired unit can be as cheap as $60.
You already mentioned what you can make the adapter for, and I mentioned what you can buy it for.

What's the cheapest Bluetooth controller go for?

Or are you suggesting that he had all the rear wiring and module and was only missing the front under dash plug?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I posted a full explanation in another towing thread that I can't find because the site is super-slow right now.

But in a nutshell, structures are designed assuming certain forces (which push/pull the structure) and moments (which twist the structure). When they designed the tow hitch, if they did not consider the possibility of a WDH, then it was designed assuming forces in three axes (front-back, side-side, up-down), but no moments. The hitch ball acts as a pivot joint which eliminates the ability of the trailer to impart a moment (yaw, pitch, roll) onto the hitch. Basically, the trailer cannot transmit a twist to the hitch because the ball lets it twist freely.

A WDH hitch operates by transmitting moments (twists) through the trailer hitch. If the trailer presses the rear of the car too far down, the WDH compensates by twisting the hitch (in the pitch direction) to counteract this downward force, and raises the rear back up. Likewise when you're towing, if the trailer rolls too much, the WDH applies opposite moments on either side to twist the trailer straight. (Anti-sway devices transmit yaw as a moment if you have one installed.)

Generally, adding a pivot joint to a structure results in having to built the structure stronger. The bending moments get converted by the pivot joint into lateral forces, so you need to build the structure stronger to withstand those higher forces. This means the tow hitch is *probably* strong enough to withstand a WDH. However, this is not always true. While the structure ends up stronger against lateral forces, it *might* not be strong enough against specific moments.

It sounds like VW did not consider the possibility of a WDH when they designed the trailer hitch, so they cannot guarantee that it can withstand the moments the WDH will impart onto it. It's *probably* OK, but unless they do a new structural analysis, they can't guarantee it. Since they don't know what will happen, to avoid liability they recommend you don't use a WDH.

Sorry, this is not quite correct. If you look up the part numbers for the 2011 and 2012 hitches they have a rating for WDH. In 2013 they have a different part number with a different decal. The hitch and structure look otherwise unchanged. Changing a decal to remove the WDH rating is a very easy thing to do, certainly easier than designing a new hitch.

It is unclear whether the 2013 and later use the exact same hitch and mount structure as the earlier ones. I can tell you when I had the factory hitch installed the hitch weighed about 80 lbs. I have no doubt the hitch structure is sufficient to handle a weight distributing hitch.

Also if you look at the 2011 and 2012 hitch tongue weight ratings they were about 715 lbs. In 2013 that changed to 660 lbs.

Also the bolts they use are M12 bolts and combined they are designed to handle way more weight than the weight rating of the hitch.

VW most likely removed the WDH rating to remove their legal liability since there are so many variables with towing a trailer with WDH. I didn't feel comfortable pulling a trailer with a 400 lb measured tongue weight without a weight distributing hitch.

Weight distributing hitch canceled out the tongue weight moments put on the hitch. It towed nicely that way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Two choices:

1. You tow under the weight limit for trailers without brakes. No brake upgrade needed.

2. You tow a trailer with brakes. No brake upgrade needed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The hitch on my 2012 TDI Exec has a rating of 7700 lbs for both the load carrying and load transfer hitches.
If I remember correctly the pin weight maximum is as high as 1100 lbs.
Can AM trailers in Canada sells Airstreams and does reinforce the hitch fir WDH, but I think it is overkill in this case.
They add steel reinforcement bars from the hits, under the car to the rear suspension sub-frame.

·
Registered
744 Posts
In Connecticut (and similar in many other states) , a trailer with a Gross Vehicle weight (loaded trailer weight limit) GVW of 3,000 or more must have it's own brake system.

The Touareg owners manual states that a trailer without brakes should not exceed 1650 pounds. Page 178 of my 2013 owners manual. Trailer with brakes not exceed 7716 pounds.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Can AM trailers in Canada sells Airstreams and does reinforce the hitch fir WDH, but I think it is overkill in this case.
They add steel reinforcement bars from the hits, under the car to the rear suspension sub-frame.
I wish I had it in me to convince people that adding a few zipties to something is a reinforcement solution.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The official reinforcement, heavy duty, is two crossed layers of Ducktape......
.... carefully applied to an oily surface with oily fingers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
The hitch on my 2012 TDI Exec has a rating of 7700 lbs for both the load carrying and load transfer hitches.
If I remember correctly the pin weight maximum is as high as 1100 lbs.
If by pin weight you mean tongue weight, it is somewhere around 600 lbs. It's in the manual. But that is a terrible load to put on the hitch without air suspension or some other load levelers. Balance the load to the minimum weight that prevents wagging. A rule of thumb is 10% of trailer weight on the hitch, but that is a lot to put on a unibody car. A well designed trailer will need less unless the center of gravity is very high. If you are pulling a car trailer (low CG), you can get away with very little weight on the tongue. Put 600 lbs on it and the suspension will sag badly. No fun to drive.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts