Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it might be good to have a thread of long terms issues and reliability, what people have had to fix with older touaregs.

So here is mine, I've owned it since new:
Specs:
2010 V6 Tdi (last of that model)
now at 250,00kms (155,000 miles)
automatic
steel suspension
sunroof
RNS-510 satnav
MDI
towpack
reverse camera
xenon lights
nappa leather
standard 17inch wheels
VW Bluetooth phone module from Jetta? Plugs right in to RNS-510 and wired up the standard mic in the roof console.
Oettinger ECU upgrade - improved power and fuel economy.
Hayman Reese electric trailer brake controller.

Usage:
Daily commuter, mostly highway driving but occasional heavy towing and very occasionally off-road. Comfortably have a few large dogs in the boot space.
Excellent highway cruiser.
Best tow car I've ever had. So stable and so much torque, heavy loads don't bother it.
With road tyres, keeps up off-road with modified 4WD vehicles, only issue is clearance for very rough terrain. Used low range but never needed to lock centre diff.

Factory recalls
1) replaced water pump
2) undisclosed by VW

Additional work:
Other than regular servicing, brakes and tyres,
  1. approx. 30,000kms. some rear reverse sensors stopped working and were replaced under warranty.
  2. approx. 80,000kms. DPF fell apart internally and made a lot of rattling. After a lot of arguing, replaced by VW under warranty.
  3. approx. 150,000kms. Tailshaft bearing replaced with 7LO521102MXEPS - Touareg Driveshaft Clamping Bearing Support Mount from Vertex Automotive.
  4. interior blower fan replaced with OEM part @ 250,00kms.
  5. shocks and front ball joints to be replaced asap.

Unresolved issues:
  1. Since new, air noise from sunroof. When adjusted to reduce air noise the sunroof randomly pops open when driving. VW unable and unwilling to resolve.
  2. Since new, reverse camera intermittently doesn't work. VW unable and unwilling to resolve.
  3. Since new, car pulls to the left. VW unable and unwilling to resolve. apparently due to not enough adjustability in the front suspension to cater for camber of roads when driving on left side of the road (such as in Australia). Apparently resolved with after market offset rear of front lower inner bushes.
  4. More recently xenon lights, perhaps only the front plastic, very scratched and maybe yellowing? I'm expecting to replace these in the near future.

Has been a very reliable and comfortable car. So far, fairly cheap to own and maintain. Very comfortable for a tall person. Best automatic gearbox I've ever seen, can actually engine brake!

·
Registered
473 Posts
More recently xenon lights, perhaps only the front plastic,
And most likely the insulation on the internal headlight wires.
I have not seen any replacement lenses for the bi-xenon headlights in my search for a RH/RHD headlight assembly at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 2009 TDI with 93000 miles now. Second owner but I purchase it with just over 30k. Been a great SUV so far. Had to replace the driveshaft carrier bearing at 80k and now I have some sort of engine sensor that went out. Part is in order and should arrive this week. Once I pick it up I'll report back to the exact one. Other than these two issues my TDI has been rock solid. Some towing, some city and a lot of highway driving. My most comfortable SUV to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bought used:

Specs:
2014 V6 TDI
Purchased @ 40k Now nearly 50K 1/2 Towing something.
automatic 8 speed
sunroof
MDI
tow package
reverse camera
bi-xenon lights
black on Black
Porsche 18inch wheels/tires
ECU upgrade... - improved power and fuel economy.
P3 brake controller.

Usage:
Recreational

Factory recalls
?

Unresolved issues:
Plastic creaking during cold winter mornings.

Assumed none VW dealer put wrong oil in: Changed oil and filter, and fuel filter.

Real world stats: http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/touareg/2014/xeno555/435465

1 - 5 of 5 Posts