Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2016 MY17 7P TOUAREG
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have recently purchased a 2017 V6 TDI that’s clocked up 55k km.
I notice the Torque converter lockup clutch engages when the transmission shifts up to 3rd and the engine revs sound a little odd at first but then during subsequent upshifts everything sounds normal.
Each day I drive at about 20kph up a steep unsealed road so in D most of the time it stays in 2nd however if 3rd engages so does the clutch which is fine except more often than not it needs to then downshift to 2nd so theres a lot of things going on!
If I manually shift instead & keep it in 2nd I thought that might reduce the lockup clutch engaging but it still sounds like it’s trying to so I’m unsure if this is normal!
Can anyone comment on this as I’d like to know if this sounds like normal behaviour or not.
I have another month or so of warranty so if it is possibly faulty I’ll get it looked at.

Thanks

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
If this only happens in the few first miles after cold start, then it's perfectly normal, because the TCU is intentionally letting the clutch slip in order to warm the transmission fluid up faster. If it also happens when the engine is already warm, then you might have an actual issue with the transmission. In this case check the transmission fluid level first, and top it up if necessary. And if the level is right and your gears are still slipping, then you might have to replace the valve body.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts