Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i have Touareg 2012 model the battery is dead and emergency key is not functioning

i tried to turn it right and left but it is not opening the door

any idea to open the door or the hood so i can jumper it to try open the door by remote control

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,934 Posts
try the boot with your key fob in your pocket (i.e. - try to open it by pulling on the release leaver under the handle)

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
607 Posts
I wish I could give you a solution but this has me thinking about my Treg.
I keep up on my battery changes, and after reading how many people have run into this problem I am tempted to install + and - terminals that I can get to without having to open the hood or doors while my Treg is still operating normally. Some place that I can hook up my battery pack and get myself out of this type of a jam if it ever happens.

·
Registered
877 Posts
This issue was discussed in past posts,do a search. I forgot what the solution was,but it wasn't easy unfortunately.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
870 Posts
Hi

i have Touareg 2012 model the battery is dead and emergency key is not functioning

i tried to turn it right and left but it is not opening the door

any idea to open the door or the hood so i can jumper it to try open the door by remote control
Significant force needs to be used even though it feels like it'll break the plastic emergency key - got the T-shirt!

·
Registered
774 Posts
You don't say what engine you have, not that it makes any difference to me as I'm only familiar with my own engine - R5.

Can you rent a child to reach up and clip a wire onto the power post under the hood?
Or can you reach the power cable on the starter motor?

Recently when I was looking at the fuse locations in my handbook I noticed that the towing plug had a wire that was always hot. That should mean that there's always power going to it and if you have a tow plug you might be able to shoot power up it.

If you don't have a tow plug maybe you can tap into where it's supposed to connect to if fitted.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
607 Posts
I think others haven't used the plastic key with enough force. Try it.
Granted I haven't had to use my emergency key but in most cases the two words plastic and force don't mix well.
I did see in a thread where a member bought a blank metal key, had it cut to match the plastic one and fitted it in place of the plastic one. Post #8 in the thread link below.

Metal Emergency Key Blade

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Perhaps that's a good reason to do some light maintenance and use, clean and lube the lock regularly..... Maybe just once a year, when you check your pinch sensors (power windows, pano-roof and power rear hatch)?
And a simple set of permanent leads from the charger posts under the hood to any convenient location behind the grill will allow you to connect a battery charger or maintainer without having to unlock anything.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I seem to recall one or two people running wires from the +/- underbonnet posts to an accessible Anderson connector at the front of the car for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Exactly! Anderson or any suitable two pin connector that you are using for your charger.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I can attest from personal experience that it takes a lot more force to use the emergency key than you will ever be comfortable using normally. Slow and steady and it will move. I did it this winter at 11℉

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yes, as the locking assembly is spring loaded to Center, there is a bit of resistance to overcome, to either lock, or unlock, with the emergency key, but it should be only a minimal resistance, easily done gripping the key between the thumb and forefinger. Any additional resistance means you need to clean and lubricate the lock.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
You should use lock ease or key lube twice a year. Once in the spring and once in the fall.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I use Super Lube Dri-Lube aerosol, my local locksmith recommended it, and I found that Medco Locks recommends it by name. Shake it well to mix up the Teflon, give the lock internals about a three second spray (using the red applicator tube) to loosen and wash out the mechanism, and once it dries (30 seconds), the deposited Teflon provides a nice dry lubricant that doesn't attract and retain dirt. Easy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the emergency key is moving left and right easily but nothing happens
car is not opening thats why i thought it might be electrical also as i dont feel any resistance when i use the key
even i tried to put lubricant to the lock but nothing change i think the system is electrical and totally dead
maybe the best solution to make wiring for battery terminal to an easy accessible location
i will try to open the cover under the engine to reach the starter motor the engine is 6 cylinder petrol engine 3,5 liter
i dont know if if i can reach the starter motor easily

·
Registered
774 Posts
So, I had reason to be looking at the power posts under the hood, I don't think you'd be able to stretch up there to hook up a wire.

No good with the tow plug idea?

I saw that the cooling fan wires were pretty thick and that you might be able to reach them.
I don't know if connecting power to them will help though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2014 tdi.... the emergency key needs electricity. The best way to charge the batt is with a charger on the alternator or starter bolt; alternator bolt is easier to reach.

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
210 Posts
Emergency key dont need electricity, its got a mechanical actuator in it.. but nobody uses the keyhole for decades so it siezes up.. so much so that even my metal Audi key wont get it to unlock without lubricating it first.

Once you get into the car, you can try to use this video to pull the lock cyl out and give it a good lube job w/some lithium grease..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts