Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the static(ie vehicle not moving) and dynamic(while moving) load capacity is for the Treg2 (ie '09 3.0L TDi) full length roof rails are? How about for the roof without the roof rails?

I'd want to put a RTT/awning up there, but am a bit concerned about rail strength.
Not so concerned with roof strength due to the T1 Expedition build.

Also, any links on how to simply remove the full length rails from the T2? I didn't see any info in this thread; http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/full-length-roof-rails-34314.html

I searched the forum but couldn't find any info to my questions.
TIA

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoping that you figured out the answer since the 3 weeks that you posted, but the load capacity on the roof racks is 175 lbs. I don't believe that the roof rails can come off on the T2, just the T1.
Nope, hadn't heard/found any info. Thanks for your answer. Is 175lbs listed in the owner's manual? I assume this is a dynamic load rating and that static is maybe higher?(175lbs up top doesn't seem like much capacity when the truck is stopped, and the T1 Expedition had a rack/RTT/2 people up there, which is more like 500lbs).

Yeti removed the rails from his T2 it seems; http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/full-length-roof-rails-34314.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what was stated in the manual. That also includes the weight of the rack on the rails too. How much are you looking to put up there? Going on a Safari hunt?
Ok, thanks.

Oh you know, just a few things;

;)

Nah, just some stuff to make camping more enjoyable. But after some more measuring, an Autohome Columbus RTT won't fit as well as I hoped it might, so that reduces the load up top...maybe a few Rocketboxes instead.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just happened across this thread. My T2 (2008) sales booklet Technical Spec. quotes:
Max. roof load (all models are the same) 100kg. That equates to 220lb.
The owner's manual states this includes the weight of the carrier system and the load.
Cheers, Dub

·
Super Moderator
9,750 Posts
Yes I did remove them and put them on my 04 before I got rid of it. I am guessing you are referring to the tracks more then the rails themselves. Those can be removed as well, but if you are looking to do that permanently you may want to figure out what to do with the holes left after you remove the tracks. I swapped the tracks from my 04 to my 10 since they have the end caps on them the 09-10 don't because of having those rails. I don't have a factory rack system at all anymore and just utilize my Yakima system which is way more versatile imo. You will need a 10mm triple square bit to remove the side rail rack. It looks like torks but is not. I bought mine at NAPA, but you can buy complete kits of triple squares elsewhere. I just never felt the need for the whole kit.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I put my old T1 cross bars on my T2 because I use them often to carry surfboards. It was any easy swap. Thanks to Yeti for the info.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
And don't forget the dynamic loading when he starts . . . . . . her!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s now 9 years later and I am consulting this thread to determine whether anyone has indeed confirmed that dynamic load capacity is 220 lbs. Anyone know for sure what the static capacity is? I can’t seem to find this info online or in my manual. I’d like to put an iKamper up there.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I can't give you the numbers.

However the previous administrator of www.mytreg.com had a roof tent on his Touareg, albeit a T3, and toured southern Europe from.the UK with no problem.

I've seen others on here with roof tents too.

Perhaps you might start a new thread of your own asking for advice on roof tents.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It’s now 9 years later and I am consulting this thread to determine whether anyone has indeed confirmed that dynamic load capacity is 220 lbs. Anyone know for sure what the static capacity is? I can’t seem to find this info online or in my manual. I’d like to put an iKamper up there.
Well, in OZ it is definately 100kg. (maximum roof load - all models - publication VGA1017G
Cheers, Dub

·
Registered
2008 VW Touareg - 3.6 BHK
5 Posts
Jumping in on this one some years later...

No I cannot confirm the maximum load rating, however, I can confirm that the factory T track rails (2008) happily handle RTT (70kg) and 2 people (100kg + 65kg) so total load around 235kg (518lbs) and shows no fatigue nor are there any audible creaks in the roof!
Your vehicle, your choice, just saying my experience has been good.
Sky Vehicle registration plate Plant Car Vehicle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.