Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 3.2L VR6

Hey all, long time reader and forum user here. I've always been able to find answers without posting but couldn't find anything on this one...

Just replaced my ignition coils about 3 months ago after having some misfiring and reading and finding that there was a recall and I should replace them (missed the recall). Most all of the old original VW coils had what I assume was an oil from the coil itself and corrosion in the top of the coil inside the connector. Bad corrosion on pin 3 on most all of them. Used some contact cleaner, cleaned up the connectors, and popped in new coils, worked great.

Fast forward three months to last week. Got misfiring on cyl. 2 & 6. Pulled those two new coils and they're filled with the same oil/liquid again. Cleaned up the connectors and put the two best looking original coils back in and it runs fine. Bear in mind, I bought a cheap $130 set of 6 coils figuring that was most likely the issue and if it was they were probably fine.

Now, before I go buying another set of more expensive coils, is there anything else that could be going on??

There is no oil or any other liquid down around the spark plug or anything. There appears to be the tiniest leak on the valve cover gasket, but this couldn't be what is getting in there. My oil was fairly dirty and this was a rather clear liquid in the connector.

Maybe I just replaced bad coils with equally bad cheap coils and they're doing the same thing?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
The coil in the link looks like the updated OEM version. A good call to go with them.

What type/brand of coils did you install?

·
Registered
682 Posts
The coil in the link looks like the updated OEM version. A good call to go with them.

What type/brand of coils did you install?
I bought the ones I posted and was sent authentic Audi R8 coils. Intalled it in a Tiguan, my Touareg is diesel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello mate, reckon you might have the same problem as me

Does your problem look anything like this?

Are you sure it's not coolant?? I believe a coolant leak is what's causing my issue, with the coolant migrating its way up the wires to coil connections. At the moment I've had an auto electrician look at it and done some magic jobby to stop the moisture getting up, seems to be working so far.

Out of interest I crawled under tonight to take a look and managed to snap a pic of where it looks like the leak is. This is towards the rear of the engine, right hand side, i crawled under just behind the front tyre. Note the plug covered in coolant.

I dunno how you would get at it to attempt a repair! Might see if there's a mechanic around here who can take a look at it this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply! It might have been coolant. I did have a coolant leak on the AUX water pump just behind that area but it seems kind of far fetched to me that could have gotten itself up into that area. Replaced that pump and that solved that issue, but need to go back in and check the coils and see what is happening.

Just had the #6 coil connector short out and was back lurking the forum and just saw these replies, for some reason I didn't get them emailed. That short could have very well been caused by some liquid in there. I just don't know from where!!! That pump is fixed and the top of the engine is clean. I think this was just the insulation melting over time.

I don't know if those R8 coils will fit as they have a horizontal connector and mine have a vertical connector like the one pictured above. They would have to be significantly longer to not jam up.

Dan, funny you mention liquid migrating up the wiring, that was what I had initially thought but then dismissed is as it seemed far-fetched. I couldn't figure out force that could have caused it so I ended up dismissing it as a possibility.

I will continue to report back what I find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It sounds to me like you had the exact same issue as me. Replacing that aux water pump did the trick.

Unfortunately the egg is now gone as well. If I'd solved the issue when I bought it, I might have hung on to it a bit longer. More trouble than it was worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts