Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Noticed I no longer have the lines displayed on my back up camera. A scan shows an error "needs calibration"

Has anyone done a calibration and is it necessary to get the lines back?

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
Perry,

Two thigs can cause this (from my experience),
(1) Controller fault (unlikely)
(2) Tailgate is open or CAN Bus thinks the tail gate is open via a fault somewhere (switches etc).

A calibration error won't stop the display, and can be simply resolved with VCDS and handy work..
Forum member maloosheck posted a method on his Blog...(see link).

- Volkswagen Turbo Diesel -: (Mk5) Kamera cofania / Rear View Camera

Although he apparently wasn't successful in making it work, I have followed his instructions and had success on three occasions.

As for the lines, I would start looking at the door closed switch on the hatch..mind you I would expect a display on the dash.. but ????

Stuart...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stuart, I just looked back at a scan from last year and the same error was present and I remember it being there for quite a while and the lines have always been present. The rear hatch is indeed closed with no display on dash.

The only other thing I can think of is I recently removed my head unit to plug an iPod adapter into the CD changer port. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The lines on my 2014 disappear when I install the tow bar in the receiver and plug an adapter in the 7 pin socket ( no trailer connected). Possibly something related to the towing package is the cause?

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
Stuart, I just looked back at a scan from last year and the same error was present and I remember it being there for quite a while and the lines have always been present. The rear hatch is indeed closed with no display on dash.

The only other thing I can think of is I recently removed my head unit to plug an iPod adapter into the CD changer port. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?
Perry, The lines are generated by the Camera Controller so I doubt the work done on the Head Unit would be the cause. Can you post your VDCS details for the Camera Controller, and your Radio/Nav.

I haven't heard of the camera controller being impacted by the towing module, but that could also be worth checking. Even though I tow regularly, I can't recall if my lines are displayed with the trailer connected, this could be correct. The CAN Bus system is quite interconnected.

Stuart...

·
Registered
2011 V6 TDI
357 Posts
I Noticed I no longer have the lines displayed on my back up camera. A scan shows an error "needs calibration"

Has anyone done a calibration and is it necessary to get the lines back?
Is it because the lines are bent according to the steering wheel position and that needs recalibration because the head was removed ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Perry, The lines are generated by the Camera Controller so I doubt the work done on the Head Unit would be the cause. Can you post your VDCS details for the Camera Controller, and your Radio/Nav.

I haven't heard of the camera controller being impacted by the towing module, but that could also be worth checking. Even though I tow regularly, I can't recall if my lines are displayed with the trailer connected, this could be correct. The CAN Bus system is quite interconnected.

Stuart...
Where is the camera controller located? Is it in the head unit or in the camera? I ask because I am still on a fruitless hunt for a unit under $1k that has the moving trajectory lines and will allow me to plug in my iPod/iPad for music/navigation. If the camera controller not in the head unit, would that allow for me to see the OEM lines on any unit?

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
Where is the camera controller located? Is it in the head unit or in the camera? I ask because I am still on a fruitless hunt for a unit under $1k that has the moving trajectory lines and will allow me to plug in my iPod/iPad for music/navigation. If the camera controller not in the head unit, would that allow for me to see the OEM lines on any unit?
It camera controller in the trunk. Almost everything after market expects the video from the camera to be output in standard composite video. The video would have to be converted. It is not in this format.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
It camera controller in the trunk. Almost everything after market expects the video from the camera to be output in standard composite video. The video would have to be converted. It is not in this format.
Thanks for the PDF nickyt,
That is correct the video feed from the camera is composite video and is converted to RGB by the Controller and is not compatible with your low end Head Units that run straight Composite Video.

jatreat, the short answer is no.

Stuart...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lines on my 2014 disappear when I install the tow bar in the receiver and plug an adapter in the 7 pin socket ( no trailer connected). Possibly something related to the towing package is the cause?
You nailed it! The last time I towed my boat, I forgot to remove the trailer adapter. Now that I removed it, I have the lines back. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, my back-up camera has always worked fine and I wonder why it has been throwing an error code for quite a while saying the camera needs to be calibrated? I am taking the Touareg in for its 40k service and warranty repair of striped gears in the rear view mirror and a seat belt sensor. Since it will be at the dealer, would there be any advantage to get the back-up camera calibrated under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,886 Posts
Bonsoir je ma voiture touarg v10 lorsqu ja allumé le contacte
Le ventilateur pour le radiator fonctionne directement
Si vous avez une solution Aidez-moi et merci merci
Good evening my car I Touareg v10 when I turned on the contact
The fan for the radiator works directly
If you have a solution and help me thank you thank you
Any thoughts from the V10 owners?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First of all I don't understand the question he asks and second of all, why is it attached to a thread I started about a back-up camera?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,886 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
BTW, my back-up camera has always worked fine and I wonder why it has been throwing an error code for quite a while saying the camera needs to be calibrated? I am taking the Touareg in for its 40k service and warranty repair of striped gears in the rear view mirror and a seat belt sensor. Since it will be at the dealer, would there be any advantage to get the back-up camera calibrated under warranty?
VW should do this under warranty. Calibration aligns the vehicle with the guidance lines so the line provide a true indication of distance. They should do this at no cost to you.

Stuart...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.