Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So I left my lights on overnight, woke up to a flat battery, absolutely nothing, wouldn't even light up the dash when I put the key in. I did get a jump start, within a couple of minutes it started. However, still there are literally no dash lights or dials working, its auto, and the gears seem to stay in first when I drive it, also there is no turbo. External lights work though, breaks, main beam, indicators and horn too. I've read about limp mode but I'm not sure its that, as when I turn it on and off again, or even drive for a while, once i turn the engine back on, its exactly the same.

Checked the fuses. Thats about as far as I know to go. If I take it to VW I think its going to be very expensive, so I'm relying on you guys. The drinks are on me if we solve this one ha.

Thanks,

Dre

Vw touareg 07, 3L V6

·
Registered
688 Posts
You'll have to fully charge the battery before you can go ahead with any diagnosis and possibly even replace the battery.
Totally draining it like that is not good for a battery, how old was it?

I have a SAAB whose alarm system was playing up and nobody could diagnose it, it all went away when I got a new battery.
Even low battery in the fob causes problems, first the central lock went out then the alarm set disappeared then finally the steal stopper clapped out. Replaced the fob batteries and it all came back.

I was driving my 1997 Explorer with a broken drive belt, it was (almost) amusing to watch the systems drop out one at a time as the battery ran down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Flash, quick response, by name and nature i suppose.

That did cross my mind, ok I'll fully charge the battery and take it from there. If no improvement i'll get a new one, I bought the car a year ago, so not entirely sure how old the battery is.
Why can't the battery be just under the bonnet like the good old days, when cars were rubbish ha.

Thanks, i'll report back

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dead battery of unknown age 9+ years old vehicle. TDIs go through batteries like a Christmas toys, or the remote you fell asleep on.

Make sure you get correct amperage for a TDI!

Oh once you drain a battery, it it never goes to it previous condition. Now maybe down another 10% along with age.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi Flash, quick response, by name and nature i suppose.
I just happened to be here at the right time :smile2:

All these electronic cars are tricky with voltages, even my old '86 BMW can get wobbly with a bad ground or dodgy battery.

You could borrow or battery or just do what I did, buy a new one.
I'd stopped at a country town and was just amusing myself while the wife and kids scrambled around this horrible, oversized landmark. When they came back to the car there was hardly any volts left in the battery and I wasn't even being hard on the the electricals.

I was heading for the snowfields and didn't want this to happen again so I bit the bullet and got the jar of Vaseline out just in case.

Those country rubes have got a lot to learn about ripping off city tourists, the battery only cost a bit over $200 delivered to the car park I was in and fitted and I haven't had a lick of trouble since.

It's a good idea to put your location in the post along with the vehicle details. Often local knowledge is important.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naive robes haha

I did have my car details on the bottom of my post, but yeah im in London and should add that

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, I'd change the battery as the starting point.

They usually last 7 years or so in a new Touareg, 5 years plus thereafter depending on what you buy as a replacement.

They're quite easy to fit: read this thread [and join the UK site].

Changing the T1, T2, T3 and T4 battery, including both batteries in the V10 - myTreg forums

Find a good VW independent, don't use a dealer now. You're spoilt for choice in London.

Read this thread too, then you'll know what else to expect and how to save money.

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
..ok so been charging the battery for a couple of hours now and the dial has barely moved. Using the correct 12v charger and all is connected properly and tested. Starting to think the battery is a gonna, but the car starts up perfectly every time, so how could that be?

Maybe to charge the battery will take over night, maybe i should just buy a new one and stop wasting my day.

·
Registered
688 Posts
..ok so been charging the battery for a couple of hours now and the dial has barely moved.
Probably not worth the trouble.
The battery is probably outside it's service life and when it goes it will definitely be at the most inconvenient time.
You have to buy a battery sooner or later, may as well start enjoying a fresh, new, reliable battery sooner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you're right, i mean a dead battery is a simple solution. Its just that it starts up no problem every single time, surely it would struggle if the battery wasn't up to it??

·
Registered
8 Posts
My battery went flat overnight a while back and after a jump start did weird things like stuck in second gear along with other electrical gremlins. A good charge a bit of a drive around the block and a few turn off, restarts it re- set itself back to normal thank god. Bought a new battery next day and trouble free since!

I wouldn't muck around with the old one I'd just replace it especially as your heading into winter.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Not sure if you have an agm battery in there, but if you they need a holy resurrection when you run them flat. Most charging machines will not recharge them. So if you have an agm battery in there, save the call to the Vatican and just buy a conventional quality battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone guess what???........

Yep it was the battery, bought a new one, spent ages lifting the bloody passenger seat and swearing a hell of a lot, pulled my back out, kicked the cat, but hey works perfectly.

It just so didn't seem like a battery issue when it started up every time, my old knowledge fails me.

Looks like I owe a round of drinks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Do you know why that is?
Well, I think it is that the amps are not enough, or people put in wrong batteries. Though at best in somewhat harsh climate, my diesels batteries last 4-5 years.

Also incorrect/wrong data replacements do not meet the amperage margin from what it needs. And the margin is small. Killing the battery a couple times, brings it to marginal.

Most of the time, freaky dash behavior is a battery with not enough juice.

Takes alot to power 4-10 glow plugs and runn a starter that has 16:1 ratio for compression. (120psi to 450 psi) 3-4 x harder?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts