Club Touareg Forum banner

The chronicles of a lifted Touareg.

34K views 89 replies 26 participants last post by  ChugChugChug 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Figured I'd flick abit of a build thread up on here for those who are interested. Recently picked this '08 V6 TDI with optioned R50 Bodykit to replace our 05 R5. Purchased it with a few issues that needed fixing, and while still fixing them have done abit of work to it to make it stand out from most Touaregs you see floating around.

This is the night we picked it up. Had been sitting for 9 months give or take.

After a pretty solid detail, required paint correction to remove alot of salt from the paint.

fitted an android headunit

Had the pain staking search for wheels + lift. Machined the lift myself and ordered custom drilled wheel with 32.5" tyres.

In Currently getting DPF delete, Full 3" exhaust system and a remap. Will be looking at spacing the subframe 15/20mm to take some stress off the CV's and give a touch more front bumper clearance as we have plenty underneath now. Roof basket + light bar will be next on the list once everything else is sorted.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a nice looking treg, thanks for sharing!

I feel you pain, there is practically zero aftermarket solutions for a lift kit.

You said you machined the lift kit yourself. Do you have any pictures? How high did you lift it (+40mm?)
Did you add spacers to the bottom of the springs or went a different route?

Thanks.

#7 ·
Missed this one sorry.

We ended up going for the spacer under the coil, 1 1/4" up front and 2 1/4" in the rear, we ended up around the 35mm mark I think up front and abit more in the rear. I'm looking at doing a subframe drop to get abit more lift in the front without sacrificing further downward travel. Long term would be custom control arms but thats something i'd really need to look into before jumping into it.

#14 ·
#10 ·
They are, but this is my wifes car and it's probably the most legal out of the three we own. Really don't want to do flares as it's not the style i'm going for and i'm super picky when it comes to that stuff but worst case we will do R50 flares on it to suit the rest of the kit.

It rides abit harsher then it did stock but it feels better if anything. Still looking at picking the front up another inch if we can, just trying to work out the best way to do it as we had dramas trying to compress the springs far enough installing the spacers that are in there now.

For anyone interested, recently had issues with the DPF so did a DPF Delete, 3" Mandrel bent exhaust and Remap. We made 180hp at all 4's on a pretty low reading dyno through the bigger tyres. No torque readings but feels insane to drive now. Super quick. Super super happy with it.

Here's a video of it on the dyno. Most of it is tyre noise however.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Uk1KT3hsNmNSTmFSWU5NWE5YVkxHdzZfbTZkNXR3

#15 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. My name is Sebi. I have a 2010 touareg tdi. I would like to lift it about 2 inches. I tried to find leveling/lift kits but no luck . Then I found this forum and I see pictures of lifted touaregs. So its possible. I saw that some guys used the Alex's lift kit. Can anyone tell me where can I get the lift/leveling kit ? I tried to find it online .....

#20 ·
Still have this. Not alot has changed but planning on doing abit of work on it soon. Now the Summer has rolled back around I want to start getting out in it abit more often.

Here's abit of a average sound clip of it after the tune and exhaust.

Hit the beach last weekend in it, first time offroad since the tune and it was great. Super fun to drive, way more power. Pulled a hilux out that was pretty stuck like it was nothing so I'm super stoked with it.

Sadly our day was cut short when this happened

Have a new shaft on the way so it's an easy fix. While it's apart I've got some measurements to make some upper strut spacers to get abit more lift out of the front to get it sitting level. Next point of call will to probably make some extended UCA's with better bush's. Roof tray and light bar hopefully in the coming weeks so I don't need to keep putting everything in the back of it and getting sand everywhere.

#21 ·
So abit more tinkering.

Decided to make up a upper strut spacer to get abit more lift out of the front end as it was nose down. This is what we have ended up with (note, the bolts are being replaced with a higher tensile bolt, this was just a mock up). Ended up with a 30mm upper spacer which gave us a pretty decent lift over what it already had.

Fit them up then ran into issues with the front CV's. I didn't expect to be hitting the limit of them already but I figure it was going to be getting close. It was fine on flat ground however once you start to accelerate and the front would droop is when it would cause issues. I had some 20mm subframe spacers cut up and put everything back in check geometry wise.

Flat Ground -

Full Droop -

Subframe spacer (need to be painted still)

This sorted alot of the issues we had. Drove fine, took it in and got a wheel alignment and they were still able to get everything back within factory specs which I was surprised about. Next point of call will probably be making some adjustable UCA's but this is pretty much how it sits.

#23 ·
Update:

So the upper strut spacer didn't work. My own mistakes but figured it was time to look at other options. Have finally sorted it using lower strut extension and we are all sweet. Tested it up the beach yesterday and no dramas. No knocking, no weird creaking so i'm pretty happy with it has all worked. Extra lift has also given me more clearance for the intercoolers aswell so no more scrubbing on lock.

Also fitted up a alloy roof tray using rhino stealth racks and a awning. Have ordered a 32" slimline light bar but still waiting for it to arrive. Also started fitting some rock lights underneath. Slowly coming together, few things I still want to do but it's getting there.

#25 ·
The wheels were purchased as blanks with no PCD drilled. They are 18x8.5 +15 offset and only just clear the brakes. Anything with this spec is going to be outside of your fenders however so depending how you want it to look you might need to look at running flares.

Now maybe looking at extending LCA, UCA + custom CV's all around to get more travel but thats more a long term project along with fox shocks later on.

Finished installing the rock lights, lightbar arrived today so that's this weekends job.

#28 ·
I popped the trim of the windshield and ran it down beside the windshield. Was plenty of room to run the cabling with sheathing down there then just under the trims where the bulkheads are into the engine bay. Seemed to be the easiest way to do it and didn't have to cut/drill any holes.

#29 ·
Recently had an event about 6 hours from me so decided to tow my drift car down with this. Wired in an electronic brake controller (this doesn't have the factory wiring) and it all went sweet. Averaged 13L/100 with the touareg full loaded in the back with wheels/tyres/tools etc etc plus the car and car trailer. Towed super well, plenty of torque/power. Unfortunatley copped a defect notice while in NSW (Australian blokes will understand) for wheel/tyres outside the guards and no mufflers.

#32 ·
Finally bit the bullet and took it proper "offroading" over the weekend. Went out to Glasshouse Mountains located north of brisbane for a few hours. Proper impressed with how capable these things are.

Sunk it pretty hard through a hole that was alot deeper then we expected (water lapping the bottom of the windscreen)and now having some issues with charging so think it may have started to kill an alternator.

#33 ·
Hello, I'm back again.

Trekked back out to glasshouse again after the last trip out got cut short. Started off pretty easy but as I made up most stuff we started looking for harder tracks to hit. Super stoked with it how it went. mishap at the end of the day left me with a busted front bar and a broken intercooler. Damaged 3 of the 4 wheels on some rocks, bent the drivers sil and broke both skirts off and also ripped the rear lip from the reo. Was all worth it. Few mods on the list now to really make it super capable. Underbody protection and rock sliders next then hopefully look at some new shocks all around.

After pulling it all apart, reclipping majority of it it doesn't look to bad. Not worth repairing as the bar cops a flogging so it will do for now

#35 ·
Awesome build and videos!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.