Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2008 T2, V6 TDI.
A week ago I installed a lift kit (40mm Spacers made by Alex) and fitted 265/65/17 tyres in order to get a ground clearance of at-least 30cm, and this is my review.

Installation:
The process is fairly easy, besides 2 things:
one, preloading the front springs is r-e-a-l-l-y hard. I used 4 spring compression things and a heavy duty rattle gun (mine wasn't enough so I had to go to the mechanic), and I needed to compress the heck out of those springs out to a point they were nearly closed. it felt like a time-bomb waiting to go off any minute and I handled it with extra care when I took the spring out and put in the spacer underneath.

second, the rear suspension is also fairly easy, but the part of reinserting the lower bolt of the sock, after installing the spacer. the only way I finally managed to do it was by using a jack and placing it between the upper part of the disc rotor and the lower part of the wheel well. this way I managed to compress the whole suspension down low enough to match eye to eye with the sock, mount and swaybar.

Road behavior:
The main thing that is noticeable is the fact the the car rides stiffer.
there is shorter suspension travel and when going on speed bumps there car starts to make noises that weren't there before the lift.
It's a bit frustrating because this car is one of the best road behaved SUVs out there and I feel bad for damaging this experience..

Off-road behavior:
I took the car for a 2 day of intermediate terrain in the desert part of Israel. very similar terrain to the Nevada/Arizona area in the US with a lot of rocks and hard ground.
my experience is that the car runs hard and can't handle well with hard ground and rocky terrain. there is just not enough suspension travel and the bumps gets into the bones.. the trip was with a few Jeeps (modified for off-road) and a Discovery 4 and all of them could keep a faster paste than the Touareg who had to go slower because of the fact the suspension doesn't fit for such work.
another thing is that there is not enough ground clearance after all and in some areas I needed extra care where the Discovery 4 (stock, with air-suspension) didn't have any trouble.

On the up side, I find the 4wd and the traction control of the Touareg extra efficient and it works similar to diffs locks and that's great.

I would appreciate the forum's advice on how to improve the suspension.
or should I sell this car and buy one with air-suspension ?...

Attachments

·
Learner
5,263 Posts
Having had both suspensions for years and using them on and offroad nothing like air.
With springs you start to lose precious clearance even before you leave home- all the gear you need for the adventure sags it. Plus once lifted it stays high and works against you in certain situations.
Once you go air you will never look back

·
Registered
62 Posts
Longer dampers maybe? I have air suspension and I don't know if you can find something for the Touareg, but in general when you go higher in steel suspension it is very likely that you will need longer dampers. If i am not wrong, your spacer goes between the spring and the bottom (or maybe top?) plate. This will force the damper to be extended with the car in rest and this will affect comfort. If the change in comfort is not acceptable, then longer dampers is the solution. If you air down your large tires, this may help in ride comfort (but not in fuel economy and cornering).

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have air suspension, offroad level is ideal for most offroad purposes. I use Xtra level only if I really need it. It's very bumpy, no wheel articulation, the same as yours now. Lucky I can lower it very easy for road comfort (And it's really comfortable ;-) ).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

or should I sell this car and buy one with air-suspension ?...
I have 265/65/17 tires on my 2004 with steel suspension, which fit without issues and without a lift kit or any other modifications. The outside diameter of the wheels is 30.5 inches and it gives me a clearance of 28 cm, which is 4 cm more than spec, and has handled so far without problems some pretty rough s...t, from deep ditches to deep snow. Road handling, including cornering at high speed is very good. I think it is difficult to improve on the original engineering, and it provides the best compromise between on and off road handling.
If I was you, I would first remove the lift kit (you'll have to remove it anyway if you sell the truck) and try it with your 265/65/17s. If you find that clearance is not sufficient, you can buy one with air, or buy a vehicle with portal axles ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 265/65/17 tires on my 2004 with steel suspension, which fit without issues and without a lift kit or any other modifications. The outside diameter of the wheels is 30.5 inches and it gives me a clearance of 28 cm, which is 4 cm more than spec, and has handled so far without problems some pretty rough s...t, from deep ditches to deep snow. Road handling, including cornering at high speed is very good. I think it is difficult to improve on the original engineering, and it provides the best compromise between on and off road handling.
If I was you, I would first remove the lift kit (you'll have to remove it anyway if you sell the truck) and try it with your 265/65/17s. If you find that clearance is not sufficient, you can buy one with air, or buy a vehicle with portal axles ;)
Hi Mate - how did you find the gearing with the increase in tyre size? Gearbox all ok and speedo not too far out?

·
Learner
5,263 Posts
Same here. Running 30.5 and it gives as much clearance without issues and mods. No difference with gearing and generally driving around

1 - 8 of 8 Posts