Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my knowledge there is no such thing available for us unfortunate ones without Air Suspension. I definitely would like a 3" or so lift. I want to run 33's. Anyone else? Does anyone know of any company with plans to produce a lift? I think i need to go after this and try and make it happen. This goes for black Steel wheels also, or a set of Black Mojave Teflons. Werd! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I doubt any company will put in the high cost of research and development of a lift kit considering there are so few Touaregs on the road. The sales numbers are just not there, in my opinion, for them to make much of a profit on such an item. Not to mention how complicated it would have to be. But, hopefully someone can prove me wrong. I would love to see a lifted Touareg. I just saw a 6" lift on a PT Cruiser! Ugly, but interesting to see.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i definitely agree with you. But it really wouldnt require much R&D. Even if it was just a 3" coil spacer lift. Think about it though. No one wants to do it because of the numbers of Touaregs out there, let alone the number of them that actually off road. But, if a company was to make a kit, they would most likely be the only ones, therefore all the Touareg owners that wanted a lift would only have 1 choice. Sounds good to me. Just wanted to try and guage interest here before i go after it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My buddy does/did most of the R&D for Off-Road Unlimited, 4-wheel parts and Dick Cepek. I will ask him if wants to try and 1-off something for me. I haven't talked with him for AWHILE :confused2: . He has done about 40 trucks for SEMA. They all kick ass. I will let you guys know if he says yes. :drunk:

·
Registered
510 Posts
I share your pain

I've tried to get a 50mm lift kit for R5 and no one of the 'big name' 4wd companies here in Oz want anything to do with Touaregs. I figure 50mm and 255/65/17 tyres should give me all the lift I need.

One company said they could get new springs made to give the lift, but it would mean that they'd need the car for a couple of weeks.

I'd be happy with spacers. Let the forum know how you all get on if you find something usefull.

Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
Makes me glad I have the Air ride. I run 31" tires 275/65/18, it gets me over the ditch and into the pasture. These Nitto tires are great. I have the Terra Grapplers for winter and the 402's for summer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lift...

I've made a 2 1/4'' spacer lift for the front and a 2 3/4" spacer for the rear because of the angle of the spring. I also have a set of 265-70-17 Goodyear MTR's. It's been ridding a little stiffer, but a lot better than expected. I plan on trying it out at Windrock here in Tennessee Easter Weekend '07. So far so good. The extra height was worth the work. I could probably reproduce a set with our CNC machine at work, but I want to do some real world testing to make sure everything holds up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Lift...

Brown Irishman said:
I've made a 2 1/4'' spacer lift for the front and a 2 3/4" spacer for the rear because of the angle of the spring. I also have a set of 265-70-17 Goodyear MTR's. It's been ridding a little stiffer, but a lot better than expected. I plan on trying it out at Windrock here in Tennessee Easter Weekend '07. So far so good. The extra height was worth the work. I could probably reproduce a set with our CNC machine at work, but I want to do some real world testing to make sure everything holds up.
Is it possible to see some pics? I'm running the 265/70 x 17 BFGs, and under some conditions I get a little tire rub. Another inch or two would be enough to negate it, I think...

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Brown, send me an IM or email me at vwvortex at avalonsystems dot net and I'd be happy to host the pics for you.

Oh, and good work on making a lift kit. It would be the first!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks good! What material are those spacers made out of? From the pics they appear to be plastic or urethane... Also, how difficult were they to install? It looks like you just added them underneath the spring, is anything else necessary?

·
Registered
83 Posts
An alignment. It took longer to fab the spacers than it did to install. About 6 hours to install. I didn't have exactly what I wanted to use, so I had to get creative. I have a complete plastic fabrication shop at work and can use just about anything I need. The material is polyethellyne. I ran it out on a lathe. It took way to long. If I knew the exact dimensions I could have done it on our cnc machine. I know them now. Trial by error? My only complaint is that there is not enough droop. If you hit speed bumps really fast, I'm pretty sure the tires are bouncing off the ground. It vibrates a wee bit around 70mph, but nothing to be concerned with. I think it's from actually being alighned. lol Driven to about 105mph and still feels as solid as ever. Does anyone know why when you hit 105 it seems to accelerate slower? My best is 125mph. Need to check with my gps the actual speed with the MTR's.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn dude, thats pretty sweet. I totally agree with you though, the vehicle really has no suspension travel. Full stiff to full droop is hardly anything which is very restrictive when offroading. Thats with the stock suspension, looks even worse with the spacer lift. It does look good with the lift and the MTR's though, real good. I think i will stick with the 20's on the Touareg and leave the offroading to the 4Runner. Props on going DIY and getting a lift done, thats awesome. Right On.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great line for the sticker. I also liked the one RJ and I came up with at last year's rally, I think it was something like..."It's a Treg thing, you wouldn't understand how comfortable offroad we are!"

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
MountainLord said:
Great line for the sticker. I also liked the one RJ and I came up with at last year's rally, I think it was something like..."It's a Treg thing, you wouldn't understand how comfortable offroad we are!"
Oh, I like that! Want some of them made?

Matt

·
Registered
83 Posts
I never thought 2 1/4" would make that big of a difference. The MTR's helped a bit too. I suprised and showed up a few people on the trail this weekend. So far so good with the spacers. Still needs more down travel. Will work on it when I get back.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Brown Irishman

How did your spacers hold up these last couple of months? I never saw the pictures you posted originally, are they still here somewhere?

The lift you've achieved is jut about what I need.

Cheers

Bob

1 - 20 of 266 Posts