Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So i'm having this weird issue continue to expand that began with intermittent trouble starting, the power would work fine until I tried to crank then it would bog down while cranking and die. So I bought a new battery for the trunk which did nothing to fix it, underseat battery is a year old and stamped VAG. I read somewhere something about turning the key left then right and that seems to have worked until my right-side headlight bulb (bi-xenon) died and I got a couple pops from the front speakers, now the front door speakers don't work and it almost always dies when trying to crank until I turn the key left then right and it cranks with no problem like it should with a new battery. I disconnected both batteries for about ten minutes to try and reset everything but that did nothing. All my fuses are good and connections to related modules appear okay. I have no VCDS cable but should probably order one soon.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
552 Posts
So i'm having this weird issue continue to expand that began with intermittent trouble starting, the power would work fine until I tried to crank then it would bog down while cranking and die. So I bought a new battery for the trunk which did nothing to fix it, underseat battery is a year old and stamped VAG. I read somewhere something about turning the key left then right and that seems to have worked until my right-side headlight bulb (bi-xenon) died and I got a couple pops from the front speakers, now the front door speakers don't work and it almost always dies when trying to crank until I turn the key left then right and it cranks with no problem like it should with a new battery. I disconnected both batteries for about ten minutes to try and reset everything but that did nothing. All my fuses are good and connections to related modules appear okay. I have no VCDS cable but should probably order one soon.
oh man, good luck. I hope your speakers aren’t fried

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I also finally got around to buying a couple D1S bi-xenon bulbs and was surprised how easy the headlight was to remove even without the headlight tool, however the wiring harnesses that plug into the back of the headlight housings are totally wanked (am I using that right, british people?) I was upset to find a pair of cheap old chinese LED bulbs which explains the embarrassingly weak light output before. However it looks like these harnesses are easily replaceable parts (7L6971071A) which gives me hope not to worry too much. I assume these shorts were causing the light to flicker and die, and possibly playing a role in some of my other electrical randomness. Will report back after fixing headlights. Parts cannot be delivered until next week soonest :')
Gas Road surface Human leg Auto part Font

Vision care Eyewear Audio equipment Bicycle handlebar Cable

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
LED headlight's aren't going to work. It's a know issue in the T1's and T2's that the headlight reflector wears down over time creating poor lighting out put. You'll need to replace the reflectors or the the headlights themselves. I had to do it on mine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
So for future reference (hopefully the search feature will bring the right folks here) when replacing the wiring harnesses for the headlights, on the black side of the plug, the side with one flat and one rounded edge, the INSIDES of that plug actually shift slightly about 1mm longitudinally inside the plug housing. If you look real close you can see little prongs or clips that hold it into place. If you run into trouble connecting these harnesses then you must use a small screwdriver to click the insides of the plug over to the other side, then it will plug right in. I have never seen something so ridiculous and useless in automotive electrical engineering and it drove me CRAZY for two days trying to figure out why the plugs won't fit when everything looks the same and has same part numbers etc. Never seen something so silly and useless in my life. What the **** kind of engineer comes up with that??
Yeah the insides of the plug shift over :LOL: 🤷‍♂️
Now I appear to have a bad ballast but the wiring inside of the headlight housings looks no better than the harnesses I replaced, so I will likely be removing all this wiring and wrapping everything in shrink tube while I wait for two new ballasts to come.
See: Headlight Wiring Disintegration
This is the harness that plugs into the ballast inside the housing. You can see how the previous owner did a bang up job splicing in leads to run LEDs....... with tape.......
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Gas

You're becoming a real estate agent? My advise would to go to commercial real estate asap. Commercial is harder but you get a much bigger pay check.
I've looked into commercial in California it's just not something I'm interested in. I want to work for a small broker that doesn't require office hours so I can treat it more like a part-time job than real estate taking over my whole life. I currently have three people waiting for me to get my license so they can buy houses from me so I approximate my first month or two of being licensed will bring in six figures (one client wants a house on the beach in Laguna lulz) but I'm not really a strictly money-minded person, I just do what I can to survive, and real estate in Orange County is the biggest check you can make for the least amount of work possible :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Okay so getting the white plug out of the headlight housing is more complicated than one would think and it was only after breaking the top two white tabs and drilling out the entire side of where I thought a hidden clip was, a dog bumped into me and my hand moved in such a way that the plug freely slid out, so I really have no advice there, maybe ask Earth Coincidence Control Office for help.

Here is the first side done while watching one episode of Community (Paradigms of Human Memory). I opted for crimp connectors, hopefully the convenience doesn't **** me over in the long run and become inconvenient...
Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electrical supply Wire Cable

I haven't shrunk the tubes yet. So I just gotta do this on the other side then hopefully maybe some of these weird electrical gremlins will go away. I'm also starting to suspect the "1" punched out on the front battery may have been for '11 instead of '21 lmao

Oh also I got the opportunity today to tow my bike on a trailer behind the Treg, damn turbos sound so good :)

I officially have clogged diesel particulate filters. CEL, "workshop engine" message, and flashing glow plug light appeared on my way home from Cars n Coffee, probably unable to regen on the highway, though now my fuel efficiency has increased to over 20mpg where I would have got 15 before. The cheap fix is to remove the DPFs and power wash/smack with hammer to get soot out. The next cheapest route would be to smash out the catalysts inside and get a tune to tell the ECU there are no DPFs. And the proper, most expensive route would be to buy DPF delete pipes. We will see what the financial committee has to say but for now looks like I'm taking some Ubers lol I read that it's bad to drive with clogged filters. I also read you can "force" regen with something called a Detroit Tuneup (floor it in neutral for ten minutes or some ****) but I don't think that's something I want to do

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
A thing of beauty
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Edit (24 Mar): Front battery tested 0% capacity and was replaced. All appears to be good in the hood now. I think when I bought it I made the mistake of not replacing both batteries at once. Oh well hopefully it didn't strain the alternator too bad cuz I really need to get some Deaf Bonce up in here... Also I went back to Silverado Canyon and smashed out a fog light climbing some hills 🙃

·
Registered
5,500 Posts

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
Look up The Jimi Fix spelt exactly as typed here.

It works and iit lasts.
I think it'll last as long as the zip ties last.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts