Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their Treg brakes at Les Schwab? I replaced my '04 v6 about a year and a half -2 years ago there and they have screeched ever since. It is terrible and so ANNOYING and very embarasing. :mad: They've been back many times but the people there are terrible. They drive it and claim they don't hear anything. They've used the anti-squeaking stuff many times. They've even replaced them again. The sound isn't a grinding but more of screeching. It happens all the time, all speeds, all pressures. I can sort of limit the squeaking by relieving the braking pressure when i touch the brake but it is still terrible. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any suggestions to get the screeching/squeaking to stop. Much appreciated:confused:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It's most often the pads. Cheaper pads are going to squeak and dust up the wheels. See if they will upgade the pads with you paying the difference. They go for the labor. Pagid is the name I like.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Pagid is VW original fit too.

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be anything else at all? Like a rusty drum or the parking brake grinding? I believe it could be cheap pads but I just want to make sure before i order new ones, probably from Geoff.

I'll also try to find the receipt to see what kind of pads they are.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Could it be anything else at all? Like a rusty drum or the parking brake grinding? I believe it could be cheap pads but I just want to make sure before i order new ones, probably from Geoff.

I fitted after market AP Racing Calipers and Large Discs (Rotors for you US people) to my Holden SS (GM) as a performance upgrade, and experienced issues with brake squeal. I then did a lengthy investigation, backed up by a friendly Tech at CEBCO Brakes, that brake pad composition is the biggest single contributor to squeal. Another is the physical shape of the friction area. Having a chamfer on the leading edge as well as a "dust" trap slot in the middle of the pad ( across the pad - radial ) will go a long way towards minimizing this noise. I would not however recommend modifying as existing pad unless you get advice, as it may compromise the pad. The range of pad behavior from what I have observed is, at one end you get squeal. and at the other end you get a groaning or shudder just as the wheel stops, somewhere between these two extremes is where you need to be..

You appear to have the "groaning. shudder" which is almost always dues to pad composition. I have had the very same in the past (not in the Treg) and have solved it with a shift to a different, normally more aggressive pad compound.

Anti squeal shims between the pad and the piston also work and are fitted by a number of car makers as OEM. Antis squeal compounds are, IMHO, a wast of time and money. Also depending on the brake caliper design, the cleanliness of the "slide surfaces" where the pad meets the caliper is also critical to reduce noise.

Stuart.......

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts

they likely didn't replace the brake hardware...the spring clips weaken over time and let the pads move around, you end up with squeal as a result.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Go with OEM pads and you will hear the difference, cheap pads = unwanted screeching and lots of brake dust like others above have said.

Good luck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have only used the OEM Brembo pads on my Treg and extremely satisfied with them.

Does anyone still bed-in their new brakes when replacing them? I do!
Propper bedding reduces or eliminates brake squeal, prevents and can cure brake judder, reduces brake dust and extends pad and rotor life. Google it, lot of literature out there including proper bed-in process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts