Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I live in Chicago, and as you may know, winters here are terrible. Anyhow, in the winter I start my truck and let it warm up, as I only have a carport, I bring the key inside. Like an Idiot I left the key in the house and drove off. I did not realize it until I shut the truck down.

Does anyone know if this can be re-programmed through VW. My brothers Cadillac, if its started, and the Key FOB is not in you pocket, you touch the brake to put it in gear, the Car shuts down.

Just wondering if anyone else has any input on this????

Joe

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Hello All,

I live in Chicago, and as you may know, winters here are terrible. Anyhow, in the winter I start my truck and let it warm up, as I only have a carport, I bring the key inside. Like an Idiot I left the key in the house and drove off. I did not realize it until I shut the truck down.

Does anyone know if this can be re-programmed through VW. My brothers Cadillac, if its started, and the Key FOB is not in you pocket, you touch the brake to put it in gear, the Car shuts down.

Just wondering if anyone else has any input on this????

Joe
Yes, the dealer [and ONLY the dealer] will be able to send for and program new key(s) if the old one(s) are gone. The best bet in your situation though - and probably cheaper if there isn't anyone to go and fetch the key for you (or you can't take a cab or bus or the train home - and back) - is to get your truck flat bed towed back home where you can go in, get your key, start it and drive it off the toe truck!
However, the dealer will almost certainly not be able to turn the truck into an imitation of a GM product by re programming the keyless go feature with different logic.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Fourdiesel, the OP is asking if the Touareg could be programmed like his brothers Cadillac. Not asking about getting another fob at all.
I would say no it can't be or they already would have had that feature. As Richyrich said it does display a message in the MFI that the key is out of range. That alone should be your clue that you don't have your FOB with you. Mine goes in my pocket at the beginning of the day and never leaves until I come home and decide I am not going out anymore. The car will warm up faster if you just get in and drive it. Prewarming is not a good idea at all.

Reactions: ChicagoJoe

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'll be in Chicago next weekend, Joe. If you're still stuck, tell me where to get your key!

I think you're SOL with regard to any Onstar style software upload. Like suggested, get a lift, get your key, head back to the car.

Say...did you lock the house?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Given that my house and office key share the same keyring as the car key, I would be seeking a way to DISABLE keyless!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but I dont often Look down at that. I am usually just jumping in and going. But my other problem is in the summer I take my dog with me and if I run into a store or whatever I would like to lock it while its running with the AC on. That would also work for the same at the house, if I could just lock it and bring the key inside I would not be able to just Jump back in the truck and take off.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Yes, but I dont often Look down at that. I am usually just jumping in and going. But my other problem is in the summer I take my dog with me and if I run into a store or whatever I would like to lock it while its running with the AC on. That would also work for the same at the house, if I could just lock it and bring the key inside I would not be able to just Jump back in the truck and take off.
I use the 'Rest' feature a lot in the dead of winter and dead of summer. Works for about 15 minutes. I usually slightly open the pano in the summer, too. Doesn't cover all of what you want to do but it helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Yes, put the FOB in your pocket, problem solved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use the 'Rest' feature a lot in the dead of winter and dead of summer. Works for about 15 minutes. I usually slightly open the pano in the summer, too. Doesn't cover all of what you want to do but it helps.
I LOVE that feature, and it does help, but in the summer with the dog, its not failsafe.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You got me curious what the REST button does. Are you please able to provide a brief explanation, otherwise I will have to pull out the manual when I get a change.

·
Registered
132 Posts
REST keeps the ventilation system running (fans at least) and does it's best to keep the car at the temperature you had it. Press it at some point after turning off the ignition and you'll see the controls come back on and hear the fans. Then just lock and go.

When you come back to the car it's generally warmer/colder than it would have been if you'd just turned off and locked it - definitely worth using. I think it turns off after about 30 mins though - avoids draining the battery and has probably lost most cooling/heating ability at that point. Really good if you're away from the car for a short period. Vital in winter.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Uses the residual heat or cold. Perfect for short stops.

·
Registered
501 Posts
REST keeps the ventilation system running (fans at least) and does it's best to keep the car at the temperature you had it. Press it at some point after turning off the ignition and you'll see the controls come back on and hear the fans. Then just lock and go.

When you come back to the car it's generally warmer/colder than it would have been if you'd just turned off and locked it - definitely worth using. I think it turns off after about 30 mins though - avoids draining the battery and has probably lost most cooling/heating ability at that point. Really good if you're away from the car for a short period. Vital in winter.
Sweet. Thanks. I will have to try this feature somtime today.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You got me curious what the REST button does. Are you please able to provide a brief explanation, otherwise I will have to pull out the manual when I get a change.
When you are getting out of the vehicle, after it is shut off. Press the REST button and whatever Climate Settings you had on when you shut it down will stay on for about 10 Minutes. A feature you cant live without once you start using it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be in Chicago next weekend, Joe. If you're still stuck, tell me where to get your key!

I think you're SOL with regard to any Onstar style software upload. Like suggested, get a lift, get your key, head back to the car.

Say...did you lock the house?

LOL. I get it.

SO, what some of you are missing is the fact that I keep the dog in the car with it running, EVEN though you would probably have a slight inconvenience when you opened the door and the dog realized it was not me, I just want to be able to lock the doors with it running.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unfortunately this same thing happened last month on a trip from SC to FL. We were to drive off, but my daughter ran back into the house to grab the COFFEE we left for the trip.......Car, (beetle actually not my Treg), made no noticeable sound or visual to alert me that the key was out of range. She left without the keys and we were 25 miles away when we stopped for gas. Went to start up again and BAM, key out of range. It took a minute or two to figure out what happened. Called my wife who was happy to help but honestly if I had a full tank of gas I would have been at my destination.

Yes YETI put the key in your pocket.......problem solved but realistically its not. This has happend alot. I called VW roadside assist while waiting for my wife to arrive and they GET THIS ALL THE TIME.

To me, this is all gets fixed if the car SHUTS OFF when the key, which should NATCH be with the friggin car, if its attempted to be driven off......problem solved.

Of course this is all in the name of progress.............we used to have to INSERT the key and well, it was always right there where we needed it.

Went to BMW the other day and inquired about how they handle it.......not much better. Their dashboard dow light up a bit more which MAY get my attention but what if I am distracted, or not in the vehicle....it only stays ON for 15 sec or so.

VW pay attention,,,,simple stuff, lead the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately this same thing happened last month on a trip from SC to FL. We were to drive off, but my daughter ran back into the house to grab the COFFEE we left for the trip.......Car, (beetle actually not my Treg), made no noticeable sound or visual to alert me that the key was out of range. She left without the keys and we were 25 miles away when we stopped for gas. Went to start up again and BAM, key out of range. It took a minute or two to figure out what happened. Called my wife who was happy to help but honestly if I had a full tank of gas I would have been at my destination.

Yes YETI put the key in your pocket.......problem solved but realistically its not. This has happend alot. I called VW roadside assist while waiting for my wife to arrive and they GET THIS ALL THE TIME.

To me, this is all gets fixed if the car SHUTS OFF when the key, which should NATCH be with the friggin car, if its attempted to be driven off......problem solved.

Of course this is all in the name of progress.............we used to have to INSERT the key and well, it was always right there where we needed it.

Went to BMW the other day and inquired about how they handle it.......not much better. Their dashboard dow light up a bit more which MAY get my attention but what if I am distracted, or not in the vehicle....it only stays ON for 15 sec or so.

VW pay attention,,,,simple stuff, lead the way.

I with you 100%. We know; that if we kept the key in our pocket. BUT that does not solve the problem.

Its just common sense that if the FOB is not in the car, it should not move.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts