Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No pics, yet, sorry.

I had been running a Morimoto 9006 4300K 50W HID kit in my fog lights and it has been great, so much more usable light/output when needed on rainy or wet roads, but even with a CanBus adapter, every now and then I'd have to hit the fog light button 4-6 times and pay attention to make sure both lights go on. Plus, anytime I'd back out of a space, I'd get the error message on the MFD. Lastly, because it takes a bit for the HID's to get to full brightness, the cornering light function was rendered about useless.

I just installed this LED kit last night: Amazon.com: New Brights LED Headlight Conversion Kit All Bulb Sizes 80W 6400LM Cree LED Replaces Halogen and HID Bulbs - 9006 (HB4): Automotive

Plug and play, just like the HID kit, but with an even smaller ballast, I used the CanBus adapter I already had and like advertised, full power on start-up and no flickering or error messages. The LED bulb has the LED on only one side of the bulb but when I had looked at the output, the LED has no shadows or hot spots as compared to the HID. I like it so far but I'll be able to see how much better it is tonight on my drive home from work.

I already like that the lights fire up right away and that I'll have the cornering function back.

I ordered this kit for my wifes H11 fog light housing in her 2015:

Amazon.com: Starnill LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 7200LM COB LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs (H11): Automotive

It has the 3-sided LED array so I'll see how that works in a few days. $75 shipped is cheap. I put in a set of 100W H11 clear halogens a few weeks ago and while better than the 55W stock bulbs, compared to LED or HID, the output just blows-chow.

·
Registered
848 Posts
How does it work with the courtesy light when the blinker is on? I noticed mine fades on and off, so it appears voltage is ramped up and down. Do the LEDs do this as well?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:eek:
Hey Ben - I have a 2012 TDI and looking to upgrade the stock fog lights to LEDs.

Is the CanBus adapter required in addition to the LED kit?

For the roughly $100 roundtrip cost, it is totally worth the cost.

Yes, I use a MoriMoto CanBus adapter, $30 or like $35 shipped, at least here in the US.

Plug and play = Easy.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does it work with the courtesy light when the blinker is on? I noticed mine fades on and off, so it appears voltage is ramped up and down. Do the LEDs do this as well?

At least with my LED kit, that has both a CanBus adapter as well as ballasts/igniters-whatever the hell the small silver boxes are for my LED bulbs, I get no funny business whatsoever.

Instant light and nothing else is affected at all.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Maybe the slowly illuminating fog light w/blinker on is a new feature for the '15 and '16 model? Mine does this in stock form with the halogen fogs.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
HIDs should not be used for quick on/off functions.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics from just a little while ago:

The digicam I used is definitely not the best as it is 7.1 MP 2006 model.

I'll say, the output from the LED kit is not as bright as the 50W HID kit, that is for sure, but having no delay is worth the trade. Once brighter LED kits come out, I'll spring for another set as the kit(s) is cheap enough at $75 or so shipped.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey BenTDI,
What exactly is pictured ? LED in the first ? HID in the 2nd ?
The first pic is LED taken from inside the Treg. There is OEM tint on the windshield hence the dimmer image not to mention the camera being that much closer to the light on the ground.

Second pic is LED with the shot taken over the front fender.

The other head-on pic is just with the foglights on, the LED horseshoe is bright and the digicam I used sucks for night photos.

HID is actually a little bit brighter than the LED. I have a (reportedly) 40W LED kit. There are supposedly 60W and even 80W kits but from what I have read, the output is not that much better/brighter. It is not like the difference between 35W HID and 55W HID where there is a big difference.

As time goes on the LED kits will get better.

If only there were no delay with HID kits I'd stick with it and the tech for HID has been around but they still can't get them to fire up instantly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well they have made that one hurtle. I have a set of the previous LEDs in mine (no remote driver) and they aren't that bright.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they have made that one hurtle. I have a set of the previous LEDs in mine (no remote driver) and they aren't that bright.
The first generation of LED bulbs, with no ballasts and just bulbs with lots of little LED's, were weak. They looked bright but actual light put on the ground was lame. They were less powerful than halogen bulbs. Now with ballasts, the outputs are rivaling HID.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I haven't confirmed if they are H11, but as a heads up, you'll lose the dimming feature of the fog light when they are turned on by the blinkers. Of course, if you leave them on all of the time, this won't be an issue.

I want to get a VCDS just to turn these on all of the time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't confirmed if they are H11, but as a heads up, you'll lose the dimming feature of the fog light when they are turned on by the blinkers. Of course, if you leave them on all of the time, this won't be an issue.

I want to get a VCDS just to turn these on all of the time.
I'm going to have to take a look at what happens when they come on with the turn signals.... I guess I don't know what you mean by "dimming feature."

The foglights are noticeably yellowish when compared to the HID headlights. I think the LED bulbs would look great.

By the way, our Tregs are twins. Canyon Gray/Black and driver assist!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm going to have to take a look at what happens when they come on with the turn signals.... I guess I don't know what you mean by "dimming feature."

The foglights are noticeably yellowish when compared to the HID headlights. I think the LED bulbs would look great.

By the way, our Tregs are twins. Canyon Gray/Black and driver assist!
Yes, great color. ;)

While you are parked, turn on your left turn signal and watch the left fog light illuminate from dim to normal brightness. Takes a good two or three seconds to get to full brightness.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed the Starnill LED kit into the wife's 2015 the other night and it is incredible. The 3 sided LED's are bright.

One of these nights I'll get some pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys, just bought my 2012 V6 about two weeks ago. Very interested in getting some led fog lights on before winter starts. Im glad you mentioned the delay of the HID in signaling and turning because I never even thought about that. I will be checking out the link provided to order soon. Also, while im writing, anyone have any information on a front spoiler for our suvs? I saw a nice painted lip that looked factory in a picture online but havent found any information on where I may be able to purchase one. I just set up my account so I will be poking around the forums. Thanks in advance and thank you op for sharing your experience.Bow Down

·
Registered
23 Posts
ugh, so i just clicked on the link and don't see any 9006 bulb options for replacement... Am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts