Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was asked to share my experience installing aftermarket LED DRLs.
I got my Treg about a month ago and first thing I did was getting all the annoyances VAGed out. While I was at it I took out the DRLs. It seemed such a shame to burn those expensive xenons whole day when all you needed was few LEDs to make yourself visible on the road.
Local Craigslist proved very helpful as usual and thanks to our close proximity to Chinese importers I got these lights from a asian fella that I couldn't understand, but the lights were exactly what I was looking for.
Few links:
BMW Audi Porsche Mercedes LED DRL Day Driving Lights(10W)
LED DRLs products, buy LED DRLs products from alibaba.com
LED DAY RUNNING LIGHT - LED Day Running Light - Products - Shanghai Partrich Auto Parts Co., Ltd. - Powered by GongChang.com

I have also seen these on the eBay.

These appear to be perfect replicas of the expensive Hella LEDs.
They're very bright, have nice reflectors and also dim when you turn the headlights on. The actual LEDs are mounted on the top of the unit inside, so you don't see them. They shine down into the reflector and the light becomes more uniform instead of pointy like I usually see on the cheap ones.

I had to cut a small openings into the grills and used headlight washer bolts to secure them. Also the small plastic deflector beside the horns had to be notched. No big deal. so far.

Now the hookup. The only switched (sort of) source under the hood I found was the fuse box in the driver side plenum. It works, but the lights stay on for about 7 minutes after the car has been turned off. No biggie.
I also hooked up the dimmer wire into a marker light at the headlight harness. Sorry no pics. LEDs do dim, but only very slightly when the lights are turned on. I'm sure they dim enough as I have never been flashed at night.
The housing on these doesn't match the curve of the bumper if you aim them straight, so I have made a compromise and aimed them almost straight ahead. I could see the light pattern on the wall in the garage.
You can see from the pics the resulting position. Not perfect, but OK.

So here you have it.
I know it's not exactly a factory fit, but for $120 CDN it's not bad.
I did see in photo gallery a member from Japan with white (I think) Treg with larger DRLs that looked like they matched the bumper curve perfectly.

Cheers.

Denis

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
So it's not possible to rest or bolt the unit onto the transverse bar that splits that grill in two?

great write up. Any pics of which fuse in the plenun box you wired it to?

thanx again!

siberian

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hook up

You could just bolt it, or glue it to the divider bar, but there there is not much room and the headlight washer hose runs through it.
I liked the look when the light was centered in the grill better, plus I wanted it to be as close to the inside edge as possible. The mounting screws are in the center of each side, so because of my alignment it wasn't working out . On top of all that I like to use existing attachment screws as possible. The way it is right now is really solid and I could adjust the aim after the install.
Here are some pics of the hookup to the fuse box.
It's hooked up to the 15A fuse, then I drilled small hole in the side (later sealed with silicone) and passed the wire thru blind grommet into the engine compartment.
The fuse holder for the lights is strapped beside the battery jump points.

Cheers.

Denis

·
5,765 Posts
I was just trying to avoid removing the whole bumper. In actual fact before seeing you pics I was going to place two rectangular off road lamps but was put off but the fact that you have to remove the entire lower bumper assembly to be able to cut out and place the lamps.

Also I haven't checked but I have an 08 and I'm not sure I have a fuse box in the driver side baffle... I'll check

Again thank you for a great write up

greg

·
5,765 Posts
A couple more questions. BTW ECSTuning has a whole set of LEDs ranging from under 100 to 3-500 bucks.

In your set up, you disable the D1S DRL and substitute them for a switched outlet correct? Now this contrary to the DRLs would be at a steady wattage day or night correct?

How much of a hassle was it removing the front bumper? I wonder if you just remove the fog light assembly you couldn't get enough leeway to avoid doing that?

Any comment on the selection at ECS? The Saab ones are way too expensive. Problem with ECS is their shipping policy. The dealer who sold me the V8 somehow lost the wheel holder in my Treg and I wanted to get a replacement one for a 14 dollar part they wanted 17 to ship. Screw that, I have one from the V6 and I'll just machine one out for a few cents. This stupidity of "shipping and handling" is starting to really wear thin.

siberian

·
Registered
726 Posts
This stupidity of "shipping and handling" is starting to really wear thin.

siberian
I am with you on that one mate. I have experienced the same issues with ECS.

·
5,765 Posts
From what I hear they consider us in AK for all intents and purposes to be in bongobongoland or Australia which ever is further...

siberian

·
Registered
469 Posts
Siberian
Not sure than Australia is further than bongobongoland - may depend on where you start :p. Think you looked at this upside down :drunk:
Cheers

·
5,765 Posts
That's the one, and as anyone can plainly see, you guys are further away by a camel's hair (not that ECS Tuning could find any of us on any map) :cool:

siberian

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I did disable the xenon DRLs. I know I should have hooked up the LEDs to a relay to have them turned off at night, but I kinda liked the dimming part that must be from some kind of regulation in EU.
You know, the bumper removal is not that bad, once you find the hidden screw inside the wheel well (behind the plastic skirt).
ECS has the HELLA lights I got in the original form, but the others are just cheap lights that look like chrismas light strings. All those have small LEDs facing forward with bit of a plastic reflector around them. The Hella ones are totally different, the LEDs are on the top shining down into the reflector that spreads the light and makes it look like the whole thing is lit up. The guy I purchased these from had the cheesy ones installed on his Acura and they looked really bad.
Get them from eBay, I have seen them for around $120.

Cheers

Denis

A couple more questions. BTW ECSTuning has a whole set of LEDs ranging from under 100 to 3-500 bucks.

In your set up, you disable the D1S DRL and substitute them for a switched outlet correct? Now this contrary to the DRLs would be at a steady wattage day or night correct?

How much of a hassle was it removing the front bumper? I wonder if you just remove the fog light assembly you couldn't get enough leeway to avoid doing that?

Any comment on the selection at ECS? The Saab ones are way too expensive. Problem with ECS is their shipping policy. The dealer who sold me the V8 somehow lost the wheel holder in my Treg and I wanted to get a replacement one for a 14 dollar part they wanted 17 to ship. Screw that, I have one from the V6 and I'll just machine one out for a few cents. This stupidity of "shipping and handling" is starting to really wear thin.

siberian

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Siberian
Not sure than Australia is further than bongobongoland - may depend on where you start :p. Think you looked at this upside down :drunk:
Cheers
Oh right, you must be talking about the hypothetical magnetic pole shift :razz:. Just a quick random google search, nothing specific that I chose here... When North Becomes South: New Clues to Earth's Magnetic Flip-Flops

Australia shall therefore one day witness the Aurora Borealis I say(Northern Lights) :confused2: .

Siberian and AndrieK, pjod, etc, eat your hearts out :mrgreen:

·
5,765 Posts
Krakonosh already posted a set of pics. I've not yet decided whether to place them at each corner or in the center lower grill. If you can remove the center grill and have enough clearance to run the wires I'll try that and save the entire front end removal. Need to study it when I receive the unit. Also, his is an 04 I think and the baffle fuse box layout is slightly different. I'll have to experiment. But all in all Krak laid it out; course you could always come up and we'll do yours as well :cool: .

siberian

·
5,765 Posts
OK. There seems to be a way NOT to have to remove the entire front end. I was busy today on the V8 changing the cabin filter (what a monumental pain in the rear. There's a cross member that shoots air in three directions and it came off from the feeder tube hidden deep in the entrails of the beast...don't even ask), oil and filter. But...

whilst changing the oil I removed the front "skid plate" (a piece of plastic really) and lo and behold I could see into the front of the vehicle. If you remove this as well as the wheel well cover (cardboard) you should have access to the grill (though you may have to remove the tire for easier access). I won't be able to get to this until next week but it looks promising and easier than removing the entire front even though Krak(onosh) said it wasn't too bad (half a day for the whole job and I'm sure he had a few beers in between :cool: ).

In any case I'll post when I get around to it. I still have the V6 to do for the CFO as winter is approaching.

siberian

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.