Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team. My previous car was an Alltrack with the pano roof and that was a known leaker. I was very attentive for it and sure enough after 7 months of ownership I saw signs of leakage. Fortunately that car was under B2B warranty so I just brought it in, they gave me a loaner, and it was fixed for free.

now, my Touareg is under power train + dieselgate warranties but it is past its B2B warranty.

wondering if anyone in the Philly, South Jersey, Delaware areas has gotten their sunroof leak fixed in OR out of warranty, where the fix was performed, and how happy they are with the fix.

the leak in my Touareg is drivers side above the driver window, towards the B pillar. Is this as simple as tightening my roof rails? Or should I get it torn down? Any input is appreciated, even if it’s just links to, or references to other threads on the topic on this forum. I will do some searching in the meantime but figured it wouldn’t hurt to get the conversation going, especially if someone local has a positive review of a shop or mechanic who fixed their leak.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,126 Posts
I'll retract that... just looked out the window at mine... the front rail mount is basically in the middle of the door so if that's what you're calling B pillar area, it could be the problem area. Does your rail seem loose?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
how do you check them?
You need to run warm water down the drain, if it starts leaking then you need to blow it out with compressed air. Open your sunroof and towards the edges there should be a tiny hole. That's the sunroof drain. There's also plugs in each wheel well that tend to get clogged over time, some people remove them or cut them larger to allow it to be more free flowing

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to run warm water down the drain, if it starts leaking then you need to blow it out with compressed air. Open your sunroof and towards the edges there should be a tiny hole. That's the sunroof drain. There's also plugs in each wheel well that tend to get clogged over time, some people remove them or cut them larger to allow it to be more free flowing
thank you! My dad has a compressor so I’ll give this a whirl this weekend

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll retract that... just looked out the window at mine... the front rail mount is basically in the middle of the door so if that's what you're calling B pillar area, it could be the problem area. Does your rail seem loose?
I’ll check this and the drains and report back in the next few days. Thanks guys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also if the car has ever had rear collision damage it is very likely the roof buckled ever so slightly and causes a leak in the B pillar. I was told to avoid any hatch back with pano roof and rear collision damage for that reason. They are never right after a collision.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Also if the car has ever had rear collision damage it is very likely the roof buckled ever so slightly and causes a leak in the B pillar. I was told to avoid any hatch back with pano roof and rear collision damage for that reason. They are never right after a collision.
He did have a hit and run a while back. But I HIGHLY doubt that would happen from the damage he had. These are KNOW to have clogged drains. Almost everyone has to clear them or modify the drain plug.

·
Registered
14 Posts
He did have a hit and run a while back. But I HIGHLY doubt that would happen from the damage he had. These are KNOW to have clogged drains. Almost everyone has to clear them or modify the drain plug.
Understood. So the car was wrecked in the rear, so it could be more of a issue than the drains if they are clear. Sounds like if the drains are clear the roof buckled slightly as often happens in rear collision with pano roof car…

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Understood. So the car was wrecked in the rear, so it could be more of a issue than the drains if they are clear. Sounds like if the drains are clear the roof buckled slightly as often happens in rear collision with pano roof car…
It was far from wrecked, It looked like just a new rear bumper cover and valance if I remember correctly. I mean you could be right, but I would bet on the drains.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Drains are in the corner of the roof, top of A pillar.
How do you explain the "above window, towards B pillar" area mentioned by OP?
When I tested my clogged drains in my T1, I spilled water in the drain to see if it was clogged, It was clogged and I was messy ended up going everywhere including by the B Pillar.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pics.

I would be very surprised if my accident (yes I was rear ended) was the cause of this. My hitch took 75, 80% of the impact, and I needed a new rear valence and one exhaust tip.

No visible signs of clogging on the drain.

The roof rail seemed well-affixed. No obvious signs of looseness though that doesn’t mean it’s not part of the issue.

I think maybe this was a leaker for the PO, the A pillar trim (interior) has been improperly seated since purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Am I the only one seeing missing chunks out of your seals?
Yeah the seal is degraded in a few spots, one of which is suspiciously close to the leak, though it is behind it.

Sunroof repairs have got to be ungodly out of warranty. I might buy a 2 year aftermarket warranty and use that for the fix… may not save me much money but if anything else non-powertrain happens in the next few years I’d be covered…

1 - 20 of 32 Posts