Club Touareg Forum banner

Lazy Starter?

2K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  SaVAGeSoot 
#1 ·
Hi fellow Tregs wondered if anyone experienced first start of the day sluggish engine turn over mindful of a bad battery.Not the case as battery replaced recently.
Rest of starts all normal kick over.Any ideas,car running great.
2017 3 litre 120,000 kms.

#9 ·
Interesting.

Would you know if/what battery data is available with VCDS for a 7L (2008)?

Struggling with what seems to be a parasidic battery drain on my 3.0 TDI for some time now.
Battery replace Jan '21 with a Varta H3 European 830CCA. Battery has been checked and passed as good but battery voltage drops by 200-300mV each day when not used, generally need to put a charger on it at least once a week to maintain reasonable battery voltage.
I have not done any individual fuse voltage draw checks yet as currently recovering from surgery but it is on my to do list as soon as I'm able.
Following your plethora of posts on technical matters over the years I noticed you are happy to share useful information so any tips or links that could help identify the problem will be appreciated.
Receipt Pink Font Material property Magenta

TonyB

#10 ·
Not sure what the controller will reveal on a 7L, but MVBs for voltage and stuff will be available at the very least.
Look up my starter battery replacement post for some visuals. I believe you should be able to obtain similar info.

Are you well enough to do a full scan and to post results? I'll attempt to provide some guidance if you want to play.

#11 ·
Sure I can do a scan, is the "auto" scan the one you want?
BTW, I'm pretty sure the battery that was taken out in '21 was the original OEM battery fitted to the vehicle in '08.

TonyB

#13 ·
Thanks, will post a scan later today.

yes, I will need some help with the controller, I take it we would be looking at some individual measuring blocks in "09 Central Electrics"?

#14 ·
First we will evaluate your Autoscan to see if there's anything to direct our focus towards.
Next, probably pull the controller historical data to see how the energy management is doing.
Then we will most likely need to get you to do test light checks in each fuse.

#17 ·
Ok, have a scan for you to have a look at.
Address 46: Central Conv.
1 Fault Found:
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
000 - -
is due to a recent replacement of both horns with aftermarket
Pair PIAA 85115 Horns
The new horns were installed using existing wiring so will never receive the canbus signal so if you can suggest on how to remove this fault code permanently it is much appreciated.

The other two Faults are new first time faults.

many thanks,

TonyB

Attachments

#18 ·
Let's try to focus on one thing at a time for clarity and educational purposes.
Code:
Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 7L6-920-xxx-7L6.lbl
   Part No SW: 7L6 920 890 K    HW: 7L6 920 890 K
   Component: J285 KOMBI-INST.    9733  
   Revision: KHH06V02    
   Coding: 0007101
   Shop #: WSC 54173 003 1048576
   VCID: 408FBC7913A4158F8F-8014

1 Fault Found:
00446 - Function Limitation due to Under-Voltage 
            002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100010
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 55
                    Reset counter: 132
                    Mileage: 148458 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2022.04.05
                    Time: 10:09:58
We will start with this one, as it appears to be the most significant. (I'm also not liking the HVAC one, but let's see)
So, you've had the BEM step in and cut off circuits 55 times thus far, since the date\odo shown.
It will reset on its own after another 132 ignition cycles if the conditions don't happen again.

Please see if you can extract the history file as per post #15, as that should give us additional useful information.
Does the parasitic draw issue seem to coincide with your horn replacement or any other known maintenance or fault?

#21 ·
Let's try to focus on one thing at a time for clarity and educational purposes.
Code:
Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 7L6-920-xxx-7L6.lbl
   Part No SW: 7L6 920 890 K    HW: 7L6 920 890 K
   Component: J285 KOMBI-INST.    9733
   Revision: KHH06V02  
   Coding: 0007101
   Shop #: WSC 54173 003 1048576
   VCID: 408FBC7913A4158F8F-8014

1 Fault Found:
00446 - Function Limitation due to Under-Voltage
            002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100010
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 55
                    Reset counter: 132
                    Mileage: 148458 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2022.04.05
                    Time: 10:09:58
We will start with this one, as it appears to be the most significant. (I'm also not liking the HVAC one, but let's see)
So, you've had the BEM step in and cut off circuits 55 times thus far, since the date\odo shown.
It will reset on its own after another 132 ignition cycles if the conditions don't happen again.

Please see if you can extract the history file as per post #15, as that should give us additional useful information.
Does the parasitic draw issue seem to coincide with your horn replacement or any other known maintenance or fault?
Thanks for the reply.

The horn error first appeared on scan done at 141,100kms/Aug1, 2021 whereas the 00446 fault was first logged on 2019.06.04 so would not be a contributing factor.

It was getting difficult to process the history of this issue so I went back through all my scans to log when the 00446 first appeared and summarised the information, the fault first appeared in Sept 2019 at 118,680kms and another 4 times since then.
I thought that fault was triggered by a low battery situation and kept deleting the fault.

I'll get on that Ross-Tech History Data link you posted today and see if I can get any info from it.

Many thanks.

TonyB

PS. Unfortunately cannot post the .xls file as its not a supported format for attachment here....

#23 ·
I'm not at the car now but how do I get from the Main Screen to the history data screen which shows the (19) and (61) button options?

#26 ·
Ok, no problems.
Let me get to the vehicle and get set up, at the moment we just want to know if I can access battery data information in 19 or 61?

#27 ·
Is there anything you want me to get assuming I can get the data as I am going to have a logistical problem in working in the vehicle and then trying to get to another PC in the house to relay information to you here.
If you don't mind giving me your cell # via PM I don't mind giving you a call from the car??

#28 ·
I want to know if your controller supplier that detailed info.
I linked you above to what you should see. #22 There's several drop-downs with tons of info that come out of my controller as per my battery replacement post that I also mentioned if you had a chance to take a look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.