Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I test drove this SUV yesterday wanting to know what a new one felt like to compare and start shopping for a 2007/2008. However we liked it so much, it was like new with low miles and handled great on the highway, that after reading comments here about buying the newest treg with the lowest miles one can afford we decided to go for this one.

The one thing I absolutely want to be sure of is that I'm not going to have engine issues due to shorter trips. I also read that a TDI is not recommended for someone who doesn't want to tow, or someone who does short daily trips. This will be primarily be driven by my wife as a daily commuter with longer distance trips on most weekends. The reason I like the idea of a TDI is the fuel consumption in the city will be reasonable for an SUV this size.

Please feel free to knock some sense into me and tell me to go for a Toyota rav4 or a venza for reliability :smile2:

·
Registered
465 Posts
They have a sticky for new purchases. Check that out. We bought the T2 used three years ago. We absolutely love it.

Definitely check out the Carfax and getting an extended warranty. The extended warranties will require a WV dealer to inspect it. The Sticky will describe this in more detail. We had a few claims in the beginning and one expensive claim recently. Warranty paid all of it! Search posts for warranties, well covered topic.

My wife has a short drive which is not the best but we take out on the highway regularly. I am sure you will be fine.

Good choice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will search for warranties. Carfax is clean in the sense the car had no accidents or wasn't stolen however the US vehicle history has Emission/Safety and Lemon/Manufacturer Buy-back marked as yes. I assume no warranty company is going to cover this car.

The findings are complicated and I will start a new thread on help with deciphering it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you do get an extended warranty for a v6 tdi make sure that it does cover the emissions components since those tend to be the most problematic part of either the t2 or t3. Most aftermarket warranties specifically exclude those items unless you get a wrap plan.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you do get an extended warranty for a v6 tdi make sure that it does cover the emissions components since those tend to be the most problematic part of either the t2 or t3. Most aftermarket warranties specifically exclude those items unless you get a wrap plan.
Definitely looking into warranty. Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Fortunately for my sister it was the first dealership she called on the list Volkswagen Kearny Mesa of San Diego. They didn't want to release service records because according to them it was still in that person's name.

I went on their website to get an email address for them to send the Ontario used car package showing my name as the owner to get them to release the information.

A live chat box popped up and I asked for the service manager's email. She asked what it was about and when I provided the info and VIN she said that he/she would get back to me. California is what 3 hours behind EST perhaps I will hear something today but hopefully early tomorrow.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because it's a very clean car and it was a dream to drive. I wasn't planning on buying it just wanted a reference what a good newer model drove like compared to an earlier version. But after reading comments here to buy the newest with the lowest mileage I can afford I decided to go for it. I am hoping the previous owner in Ontario who drove it for 40k kms dealt with any issues it might have had after it was imported. The fact it passed inspection, it passed the emission test and was certified tells me it can't be anything major.

What concerns me is the multiple title changes during its first 4 years. I just ran the carfax....off to read it....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts