Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'06 v10 - oh how I hate these headlights... HID must stand for Hit Income Directly or something... :-(

Headlights worked when I bought it but were dim. It had cheap bulbs in it.

I replaced the hardly insulated harnesses behind tray, and bulbs with Sylvania Basic D1S. Both lows work but are still not very bright. After a week the left light fails to turn on, right at the start of a trip of course...

I buy a valeo ballast and replace the left one. Still no left light, shows the below error in VCDS.

Bought and replaced the headlight units with new valeo ones, swapping the low bulbs and ballasts. Still no left light!

I cleared the code, turned the vehicle off. Started it up - still the same error.

The only thing to do in front of the main harness is replace / repair the short jumper ($75 w/tax) from the ballast to the bulb. So my question is - would a short in that jumper cause the following error, or is it further upstream in the body harness? Or is the load management at fault and not being reset?

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels:. 7Lx-937-049-V1.clb
Part No: 7L6 937 049 N
Component: 3002
Coding: 0111838
Shop #: WSC 22188 444 89171
VCID: 4796E2DA3580D07718-5120

2 Faults Found:
00978 - Lamp for Low Beam; Left (M29)
007 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
00907 - Intervention load Management
000 - -

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I had a third brake error stay on and a left brake light go out. Replacing bulbs and checking the wirin didn't solve the issue. Putting in a used comfort module fixed both issues. They can be had for aroud 50$ on ebay. Right side in the trunk.
But you might still have a wiring issue. Check continuity of your wires. Then give the used module a shot. No programming needed. Just mind the LHD vs RHD version and buy according to your drive version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you go the module way get updated version. Do a vcds auto scan and post it so I can get you the updated version number. You can also use vcds to test the lights.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you go the module way get updated version. Do a vcds auto scan and post it so I can get you the updated version number.
Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 7L0-959-933.lbl
Part No: 7L0 959 933 J
Component: HSG 5115
Coding: 0000085
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000
VCID: 438EF6CA01B8FC57C4-4B00

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I had the same version. I replaced it with a 7L0959933 H. This is the last version for the T1.
This should be your last resort if you cannot fix the issue. Plus it's not that expensive. Less than a dealer fault finding diagnosis session.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. Poked around in VCDS some more and realized that if I select 39, the right headlight it connects to the controller fine. If I select 29, the left headlight - nothing. It cannot find it! The rest of the lights work fine on that side (high, turn, marker). From what I can tell these are driven from the "Vehicle Electrical System Central Control Unit" module under that dash, not the module in the rear (makes sense).

Now the code is only this:

00978 - Lamp for Low Beam; Left (M29)
007 - Short to Ground (BUT WHERE?)

I'm still looking for a good wiring diagram for 2006 xenons so I can actually see what it's not happy about, and where. Recommendations? Does the Bentely CD info actually have wiring diagrams like the older books did?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I tried vcds-activating my dead left brake light. Never came on. After the ccm was changed it started working. Like I said do your troubleshooting and keep the ccm replacement as a last tip. You should look for copy of elsawin if you want to go deep into this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trespect, I agree - the CCM works with the rear lights. But I now know the headlights are run off the J519 Vehicle Electrical System Control Module (aka Body Control Module) instead. Here is some further diagnosis I have done late this week:

First - erWin is wrong in regards to the HID bulb. Pins 6 and 8 are for the halogen high beam, not the HID. That of course is from the jumper from the J567 Left Headlight Range Control Module.

I tried swapping the right headlight into the left side - no surprise, no low beam.

I then measured the same pins on the right side. Pin voltages side by side:

Pin - Left / Right
1 - 6 / 6
2 - 14 / 14
3 - 0.18 / 14 - BAD!
4 - 14 / 14
5 - 0.39 / 14 - BAD!
6 - 0.19 / 0.05
7 - 0 / 0 - Ground
8 - 0 / 0 - Ground
9 - 0.13 / 0.18
10 - 0 / 0 - Reference ground
11 - 9.16 / 9.12
12 - 11.52 / 11.52

So to activate the low beam I should have +14 on 3 and 5 where I now have what look like low float voltages - not shorts to ground. So the J519 Vehicle Electrical System Control Module seems suspect. Maybe it is lose or the contacts are corroded... I'll have to find that, I think it's under the dash.

By the way, I see in erWin references to a self diagnostic. Can I do that with VCDS?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For now I'm just going to splice in a relay in the headlight tray jumper triggered by the running lights for 3 and 5 to supply voltage for the low beam. Not ideal, but it will work until I can "crack the code" on this strangeness.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried vcds-activating my dead left brake light. Never came on. After the ccm was changed it started working. Like I said do your troubleshooting and keep the ccm replacement as a last tip. You should look for copy of elsawin if you want to go deep into this.

Swapped the CCM, no change.

I'll be digging into the PCM tomorrow to verify that no wires are shorting or open.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Resolved. It was a bad contact on the left #35 fuse. Checked good (12v both sides), but found it as I got desperate and removed and reinserted every single fuse. Figures...
35SB3515AVehicle electrical system control module – Headlamps (high/low beam)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was fully seated and not blown that's what through me off. But the contacts were discolored (probably a cheap fuse), so I chucked it and put a new one in it's place after inserting / removing it many times to scrape of any corrosion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hallkbrds or anyone else - Do you know where the power from pin 3 on the headlight connector comes from? I've got an issue where I have the same exact same error codes and in measuring the voltage at the pins, only pin 3 is off. Pin 5 does have 14v unlike your situation. For giggles, I did change the fuse and ensure that connection was clean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts