Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
MY15 V8 TDi R-Line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about the keyless lock function on my Touareg.

It unlocks just fine & as advertised, but I have almost never been able to make it lock itself the same way - it's not just the driver's door, passenger seat and back doors are the same.

No problem with the rear hatch?

Any ideas what might be the problem? I might get it looked at when I take it in for the recall - I've also got a loose trim panel on the door that is rattling.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Do you have buttons on all the exterior door handles? If so that is how you lock it if you don't use the FOB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Redgsr,

I had the same problem with my remote - you will find inside the remote if you open it up there are 3 small microswitches on the Circuit Board under the buttons on your keypad - what happens is the soldered joints dry up and the switches fall off - find someone in your work maybe that has a fine soldering iron and is able to solder the switch back on - a guy in my work did it for me and it took all of 5 mins to fix - Good luck !! TJ

·
Registered
MY15 V8 TDi R-Line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have buttons on all the exterior door handles? If so that is how you lock it if you don't use the FOB.
It's a MY15 R-Line so the exterior door handles have the recessed touch sensor. Works fine unlocking the car with the keys in my pocket but I've only managed to lock it once or twice the same way.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It's a MY15 R-Line so the exterior door handles have the recessed touch sensor. Works fine unlocking the car with the keys in my pocket but I've only managed to lock it once or twice the same way.
Please describe the 'recessed touch sensor' and it's position on the handle. The locking button (unless it's been changed on recent models) is a small round button on the exterior face of the door handle towards the rear of the handle.
John

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Previous versions you grab the handle to unlock and push the button on the handle to lock. If you are trying to grab the handle to lock it that is why it is not locking. You have to push the button or sensor area to lock without removing the FOB from your pocket.

·
Registered
MY15 V8 TDi R-Line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Previous versions you grab the handle to unlock and push the button on the handle to lock. If you are trying to grab the handle to lock it that is why it is not locking. You have to push the button or sensor area to lock without removing the FOB from your pocket.
Looks like this:

(This is a pic I found off the net - the cover of the lock has been popped off in the picture, mine is still intact)

When I unlock the car I just touch the recessed area with my thumb (and with the fob in proximity) and it opens.

Thinking about this more it's a bit of a misleading thread as the car is still under warranty - so if it's an error & I can get it fixed, just want to make sure I'm not doing it the wrong way and look stupid at the dealership!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like this:

(This is a pic I found off the net - the cover of the lock has been popped off in the picture, mine is still intact)

When I unlock the car I just touch the recessed area with my thumb (and with the fob in proximity) and it opens.

Thinking about this more it's a bit of a misleading thread as the car is still under warranty - so if it's an error & I can get it fixed, just want to make sure I'm not doing it the wrong way and look stupid at the dealership!
When you unlock you put your fingers in between the handle and the door to unlock and then you pull the handle out to open. When you lock it you must not put your fingers anywhere near or in between the handle and the door - just use one finger to swipe the little recess on the on the door handle.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Unless there's something in the owner's manual to the contrary then it would appear you are doing the correct thing and there is a fault. John

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
330 Posts
On my '14 you need to have your finger on the recessed portion for a good heartbeat or two. It's not instant. The pause is long enough that if I am in a rush I just use the fob as I walk away. But if nothing happens for you, there's a problem.

FWIW, to unlock you don't need to touch that area, just grasp the handle itself and in a half-second the doors unlock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When locking making sure you don't hold the door handle - just touch the indent with your finger and it should lock. To unlock just grab the handle and wait for the unlock click and pull the handle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same issue with mine, Unlocks fine, locking only intermittently. Not sure what actually makes it work ie skin temperature, skin electrical conductivity but had a similar issue with a phone that I could not swipe to unlock if my hands were wet and cold.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used to have a Kessy on my old cayenne. My new treg didn't have the "technology package" but rather the "driver assist package" so I don't have them any more.
I'd take the DA over the tech packages anyday (except maybe for the lack of memory seats-WT* an $85K vehicle without memory seats WV?!?).

Anyway my kessy was a constant problem in the cayenne. It broke twice, I fixed it twice (using the article from this forum-I think- where you open it up and replace the resistors and MOSFET), works for a year or so then craps itself again. When it finally broke again, I just left it be and used the key fob which is heaps better anyway as you don't get soaking wet when it raining and you're standing there waiting for the car to make up it's mind to unlock the doors!.

The handles have little antennas in them (as well as several others being sprinkled around the car) and are really susceptible to electrical interference, and the problem you describe ie not being able to lock the car using the handle was the problem I was having. The fix is to replace all the faulty antenna and or handles and the control unit in some instances which requires re-coding too (costly), so if your car is under warranty (and it should be if it's a 2015), get it diagnosed and done now while you can.

Also make sure you read the manual carefully about how the system works, as on the old models you can enable/disable the system with certain combinations of door handle pulls and button presses (eg a double click of the button disables the interior motion sensor from memory).
Cheers
DS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts