Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this VW T-REG Used, most of the stuff works but the 12v outlet in center console. I am also not able to get the door to unlock via the little black buttons on the door handles? Is there another fuse or controller that is bad?

Let me know.
Briguy

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
The outlet in the center console has a fuse for it, so that is probably the problem with that. I would just guess you have a bad switch in the door for the locks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought this VW T-REG Used, most of the stuff works but the 12v outlet in center console. I am also not able to get the door to unlock via the little black buttons on the door handles? Is there another fuse or controller that is bad?

Let me know.
Briguy
I have an 04 V8 and the vehicle unlocks when the key is near. I use the black buttons on the door handle to lock it, not unlock it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Button does not do a thing, so I am in the process of hunting online for any tips or tricks as to a fuse or controller that is the problem. Thanks for the answers you guys, I appreciate your thoughts.

I won't take it to my local dealer, I have had some bad luck there. I might try a locally owned garage.....

Brian

·
Registered
335 Posts
My Button does not do a thing, so I am in the process of hunting online for any tips or tricks as to a fuse or controller that is the problem. Thanks for the answers you guys, I appreciate your thoughts.

I won't take it to my local dealer, I have had some bad luck there. I might try a locally owned garage.....

Brian
Mine was working and then quit. That is mine I had to touch the inside of the exterior door handle and it would unlock vehicle.

As well, when I wanted to lock the vehicle from the outside I just pressed one of the black bottons on the exterior door handles.

Mine has gone crappola and not much for ideas here at the "Club" darn it!
I have no local dealer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm also looking for info. A few weeks before it quit, it would unlock before I touched the car. Then it quit and started working a day later and then finally quit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happened to me on my 05. I took it to the dealership and they trouble shot the problem. It took them several tries....First try: Replaced Battery due to low voltage (they say that low voltage triggers the computer to start shutting down components to use less power) Still did not work.... Second try: They replaced the driver's side door handle. Third Try: replaced passenger side handle Fourth try: Replaced the "control mondule" This did work! All of this was done under warranty...so it did not cost me a dime.

Hope this helps! (by the way....the buttons are used to lock the door, not unlock it)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've had two of the black "lock" buttons fail on my keyless entry... Just to be clear, you grab the handle anywhere to unlock, push the button to lock, of course with the key in your pocket. If the door unlocks fine, but the button on a particular handle will not lock, you need the handle replaced.

Unfortunately, their are no sub-assemblies in the door handle. If the button fails it requires a completely new handle, and they come unpainted so you need to have paint work done as well.

The first one that failed was covered by the original VW warranty a few years ago. A second one failed recently and was covered by the VW-branded extended warranty. If it isn't under warranty, unfortunately it will be a fairly expensive fix.

A seperate failure that sometimes occurs is the antenna's for the unlock function. If the lock buttons all work fine, but a particular door does not "unlock" the car when you touch it, then it is likely the antenna. This happened once on my rear hatch. Another easy fix, on warranties nickel.

I do love my Twarg, but would hate to not have it covered by my 7-year, 100,000 mile platinum extended warranty!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi PFB,

I have the extended warranty so its good to know yours was covered. Can you post details of what they repaired most recently? My doors do not unluck when touching the handles nor do they lock with the black button.
Tx

·
Registered
268 Posts
153794My doors do not unluck when touching the handles nor do they lock with the black button.
My guess is that if none of the lock/unlock functions work, it is the the control module rather than individual handles... Either way though, the dealer should be able to diagnose it and hopefully repair it quickly.

I have the "platinum" warranty. I believe door handles *are* excluded, but the locking system itself is covered, so they covered the replacement part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the similar issue. The doors open when you touch the handles but only the driver door black button works. The others are dead. I took it to the dealer and each handle is $150 + you hav eto get it painted!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK

I have read a few of the posts on the keyless entry.
Some pointers would be appreciated;

1) when I approach the car with it locked from pressing the keyfob the previous evening the doors will not unlock if I have the key in my hand/pocket/breifcase and I pull any of the handles or boot or press the black buttons.
2) If I unlock the car by pressing the keyfob and get in the car I can use the keyless start button with either of my keyfobs in my pocket, thrown in the ashtray etc
3) If I get out of the car and walk away the Touareg '04 V10 TDI will not lock itself - I have to push the keyfob to get it to lock.
4) There are no error codes when I plug in the VAG diagnostic tool
5) I am now completely confused on whether I press the black buttons to lock/unlock the car but I have tried it both ways.
6) I read an article from a lock smith site saying you can reset the locking system by pressing and holding either the lock or unlock for 60 seconds - tried it, made no difference (in fact the key fob stops trying to send a signal after 30 seconds on a VW).

I thought the problem may be the Kessy unit but I would have thought the keyless ignition would not work either.

I don't consider it likely that all four doors and the boot would stop working but with the keyless ignition working, unless there are different transmitters in the Kessy for the ignition sensing and the door unlocking I face a rather depressing repair bill to replace all 4 door handles and the boot :(

You input is welcomed

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you have done a Full Scan through VCDS?

Sounds like the sensors in the handles are bad and they will show through VCDS but I've only been able to get them to show doing the full scan. Don't go into the central electronics it any individual module.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
OK

I have read a few of the posts on the keyless entry.
Some pointers would be appreciated;

1) when I approach the car with it locked from pressing the keyfob the previous evening the doors will not unlock if I have the key in my hand/pocket/breifcase and I pull any of the handles or boot or press the black buttons.
2) If I unlock the car by pressing the keyfob and get in the car I can use the keyless start button with either of my keyfobs in my pocket, thrown in the ashtray etc
3) If I get out of the car and walk away the Touareg '04 V10 TDI will not lock itself - I have to push the keyfob to get it to lock.
5) I am now completely confused on whether I press the black buttons to lock/unlock the car but I have tried it both ways.
6) I read an article from a lock smith site saying you can reset the locking system by pressing and holding either the lock or unlock for 60 seconds - tried it, made no difference (in fact the key fob stops trying to send a signal after 30 seconds on a VW).

I thought the problem may be the Kessy unit but I would have thought the keyless ignition would not work either.

I don't consider it likely that all four doors and the boot would stop working but with the keyless ignition working, unless there are different transmitters in the Kessy for the ignition sensing and the door unlocking I face a rather depressing repair bill to replace all 4 door handles and the boot :(

You input is welcomed
3. That is not supposed to happen anyhow regardless what works or not. It only locks it's self if you unlock it and don't open any doors in I think like 10 seconds. Then it will rearm and lock the doors. Only time it will lock the doors for you. You have to lock it apon exit either by fob or pushing one of the buttons on the door handles.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Doesn't it lock again if you unlock it and only open the glass hatch?
It will relock if you don't open I believe the drivers door, but been awhile since I tested it out, so I don't remember. I know mine relocks after opening either the rear glass or hatch.

·
Registered
279 Posts
OK I have read a few of the posts on the keyless entry. Some pointers would be appreciated; 1) when I approach the car with it locked from pressing the keyfob the previous evening the doors will not unlock if I have the key in my hand/pocket/breifcase and I pull any of the handles or boot or press the black buttons. 2) If I unlock the car by pressing the keyfob and get in the car I can use the keyless start button with either of my keyfobs in my pocket, thrown in the ashtray etc 3) If I get out of the car and walk away the Touareg '04 V10 TDI will not lock itself - I have to push the keyfob to get it to lock. 4) There are no error codes when I plug in the VAG diagnostic tool 5) I am now completely confused on whether I press the black buttons to lock/unlock the car but I have tried it both ways. 6) I read an article from a lock smith site saying you can reset the locking system by pressing and holding either the lock or unlock for 60 seconds - tried it, made no difference (in fact the key fob stops trying to send a signal after 30 seconds on a VW). I thought the problem may be the Kessy unit but I would have thought the keyless ignition would not work either. I don't consider it likely that all four doors and the boot would stop working but with the keyless ignition working, unless there are different transmitters in the Kessy for the ignition sensing and the door unlocking I face a rather depressing repair bill to replace all 4 door handles and the boot :( You input is welcomed
You only press the black buttons to lock the car. To unlock it you only need to pull on the handle like you were opening the door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK - its safe to say it does not lock when I press the black buttons or unlock when I pull the door handles. But starts on the button.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It will relock if you don't open I believe the drivers door, but been awhile since I tested it out, so I don't remember. I know mine relocks after opening either the rear glass or hatch.
If you approach a locked Treg, pull open the tailgate, load your cargo, and close the hatch, the vehicle will re-lock in a few seconds. If you plan on driving away, and want to keep the car unlocked, better to open a rear door first, then the hatch. That way, the car will remain unlocked when the hatch closes, and you can close the rear door on the way to the driver's door, without having the car re-lock on you...sps

·
Registered
133 Posts
OK

You input is welcomed
I'm going to repeat what a couple others have said but it's worth repeating.

3) That's normal, the only time it will do this is within a few seconds or using the back glass.
4) Make sure you are in the correct area or do the full scan, as others have mentioned the full scan is the best way to verify this. Also if you are in the habit of clearing codes the first time then rescanning you'll have to operate the broken door handles to get a code to show back up.
5) The black buttons are only to lock the car.

I do agree that the likeliness of ALL handle sensors AND black buttons not working would point to a KESSY module problem more then handle problems but as many problems as there have been with these I also wouldn't rule it out.

Also, the start button I believe uses a different circuit than the handles. I think it is tied directly into the start circuit with is part of the KESSY module but not the Keyless Entry Part of it. I don't have one to verify this but from what I've read about the installation I think that makes more sense.

There's a couple ways I'd go about figuring this out. First off, be sure you getting all the codes out of the system (as stated by others) after you have played with it a while. If that still fails to give a direction you could either troubleshoot from the KESSY module or the door handles. If you have access to a known working door handle that may be the easiest to plug in and test. Or you could pull the KESSY module and test the diodes and resistors mentioned in the KESSY rebuild thread (or have an electronics shop check those things for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it, sounds like there's more of those types of shops over there than here).

Hope that helps you out some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so i am new to the forum, i have a 04 touareg that pulls codes that all entry antennas are not working. (00179,00180,00181,00183). so i have reset them and they still come back, so i think it is most likely the Kessy unit. so i would like to rebuild it like talked about but my question is where is the best places to buy the resistors, transducers, and motifs talked about? is there a good picture of the inside of the Kessy unit to make these easily identified? what about the test values of them?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts