Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One afternoon early last summer, the Treg was running. I had left the key at home and went down the street to get a pizza. Shut truck off, get back in to go back home and the truck would start as the key was at home.

Yesterday, wife gives co-worker a bag that happened to have her key in the bag and stranded herself at work.

Her co-worker and her husband went out for a dinner in the city, some 30 miles away. They had to take a cab home and back to their car to get the key and their car.

How the car can be run with the key present is a risky feature of keyless entry and start as the car can be started and driven off with the key/fob not being in the vehicle. Beware.

In a way, I'm glad I don't have the push/twist-start/keyless start in my Cayenne but would have liked the keyless entry and door-touch to lock.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Carrying a spare KESSY fob (RF shielded, and with the battery separate) hidden securely somewhere inside the car, and the plastic door lock key hidden securely somewhere on the outside of the car, will ensure that you always have access and starting capability over your Touareg, regardless of the situation.
This was discussed here a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carrying a spare KESSY fob (RF shielded, and with the battery separate) hidden securely somewhere inside the car, and the plastic door lock key hidden securely somewhere on the outside of the car, will ensure that you always have access and starting capability over your Touareg, regardless of the situation.
This was discussed here a few years ago.
Hmmm, that is not a bad idea at all, for the wife and her T3.

Even keeping the fob, with the battery out of it, stuffed somewhere in the trunk, even under the spare tire would do.

Then I could zip-tie the door lock key somewhere under the truck like I used to do with my old pickup for the just in case-someday. Good idea.

I could then show the wife how to release the key, dig out the spare, put the battery in and be saved.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder, will the Fob work in the key slot to start the engine with no battery in it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The fob has both active and passive connections to the KESSY system. To lock the vehicle normally, with the spare fob secured within, you have to both, remove the battery (the active circuitry) and RF shield (passive transducer circuitry) the spare fob. Then once you open the driver's door with the external plastic key, you have thirty seconds to retrieve the fob, and insert the battery before the alarm sounds.
Practice the full drill a few times and it will save you a bundle in aggravation, cab fare and potential locksmith fees. You can lose a fob, leave it somewhere, damage it, flood it, whatever, and still get home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts